Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Not a good choice of music

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Cubs closer Aroldis Chapman pitched a scoreless ninth inning at home against the Cardinals last night, and as he walked off the mound the person in charge of the stadium’s PA system chose to play “Smack My ***** Up” by The Prodigy.

“Smack My ***** Up” is a bad song for a lot of reasons, but it was a particularly bad choice last night, given Chapman’s recent 30-game suspension for violating MLB’s domestic violence policy. Today, the Cubs issued an apology for the incident (via ESPN’s Jesse Rogers):

The Cubs say they unintentionally played the song ‘Smack My ***** Up’ last night when Aroldis Chapman walked off the mound in the ninth inning. The Cubs will have a strong response to it this morning. It was “unfortunate and should not have happened,” according to the team.
Update (12:59 p.m.): The Cubs say they have fired the person responsible for playing the song:

ADVERTISEMENT

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
No way that wasn't intentional if they got to the part of the song with the lyrics. There would be absolutely no reason to have that song in their library for a ball game.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
No way that wasn't intentional if they got to the part of the song with the lyrics. There would be absolutely no reason to have that song in their library for a ball game.

Exactly. Someone, somewhere, has a sense of humor and no conscience.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Guess i should stay away from being a music currator at a ballpark! :)

Most music i like is because of the instrumentals and not because of the drunken, drugged, lazy or autotuned @@@@ that many singers use that make most of the lyrics not understandable.

I don't know if the ex cubs employee chose the song because of the instrumentals or if that employee knew exactly what the lyrics or subject of the sing was.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
There would be absolutely no reason to have that song in their library for a ball game.

Has the song charted? It seems at sports events, a lot of music are songs in the hot 100 chart currently, recently or is an older established recognizable hit.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Has the song charted? It seems at sports events, a lot of music are songs in the hot 100 chart currently, recently or is an older established recognizable hit.

The song is from around 1996-97. It was something of a dance hit for awhile, but has never been any kind of common stadium anthem.

Members online

Latest posts