Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Satisfying Poll - What hobby moment gives you the biggest thrill?

What Hobby Moment Brings You the Most Satisfaction?

• Finding a "steal" on eBay or at a card show.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Buying a "white whale" card for your personal collection.

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Helping assist a fellow collector add a much-wanted card to his/her collection.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Guessing right on a prospect stash.

• Flipping a card/set/collection for a huge profit.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Discovering and acquiring a card you hadn't previously known existed for your personal collection.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Opening a sealed pack/box and experiencing the thrill of the unknown for what's inside.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Trading cards with a fellow enthusiast and both coming away happy.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Adding the last card needed to complete a set.

• Other - please explain.

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
There's so many things that bring me satisfaction in this hobby. Got me thinking about what are the most enjoyable moments in card collecting. Here's a list of 9 of the most fulfilling moments I can think of. Thought it would be fun to see what the top moment is for the board. Vote for the scenario that brings you the most satisfaction personally. And if you have any other "moments" that you think should be mentioned - please share!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I said Discovering a new card, but that's very rare. Normally, it would be something more on the financial side, but I actually feel weird about it now. I recently found a Frank Thomas I needed but never particularly wanted. It sells for $150 and I paid $3. I don't think I've ever sold a Frank card, but I'm buying a new house and selling it, plus other Franks, would help. So being torn on it is definitely not a satisfying feeling.

Strangely, as much as I enjoy collecting low-print-run sets, actually finishing them always feels like a let-down. You would think it'd be very satisfying, but like a greyhound on the track, catching that rabbit makes me miss the chase.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Among the choices, adding the last card I need to complete a set. My main focus, other than autograph collecting, is set collecting, so putting that final card into my set binder is a great feeling.

But nothing in this hobby can compete with opening the mailbox and finding an envelope addressed to myself in my handwriting. That meant I received (hopefully) an autograph from a player who I sent a card to their home or stadium.

I starting collecting autographs through the mail in 1986 and I have several three-inch binders full of a couple-thousand autographed cards, photos, tickets, magazines, programs and other items I've sent to players over the past 30 years.

I rarely send TTM anymore because I have all of the retired players who sign that I want, and current players rarely sign anymore, plus I don't really follow the minor leagues like I used to, so I don't know who the young prospects are, and don't have any of their cards to send.

But that feeling of getting a new autograph of a player who I wrote a letter to still can't be beat.

Last edited:

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Opening a pack and hitting an awesome PC Card.

in 2002-03, I was collecting Latrell Sprewell as my PC. My girlfriend (now wife) and I went to walmart and grabbed a couple packs of 2002-03 Topps Chrome. She picked one and I picked one. My pack was crap, but in her's was a Latrell Sprewell black refractor /50!

Probably one of my favorite collecting moments. But the list has so many!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Among the choices, adding the last card I need to complete a set. My main focus, other than autograph collecting, is set collecting, so putting that final card into my set binder is a great feeling.

But nothing in this hobby can compete with opening the mailbox and finding an envelope addressed to myself in my handwriting. That meant I received (hopefully) an autograph from a player who I sent a card to their home or stadium.

I starting collecting autographs through the mail in 1986 and I have several three-inch binders full of a couple-thousand autographed cards, photos, tickets, magazines, programs and other items I've sent to players over the past 30 years.

I rarely send TTM anymore because I have all of the retired players who sign that I want, and current players rarely sign anymore, plus I don't really follow the minor leagues like I used to, so I don't know who the young prospects are, and don't have any of their cards to send.

But that feeling of getting a new autograph of a player who I wrote a letter to still can't be beat.

Good call on the TTM auto return. I tried to pick aspects of the hobby that encompassed different types of collecting. Didn't think of TTM autographing. Other options I did think of were obtaining an in-person autograph or receiving a 10 on a graded card submission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah, this is true. I already voted for "Discovering and acquiring a card you hadn't previously known existed for your personal collection", but just having landed two white whales in two days, I would love to cast a second vote for that.

Actually I didn't really land Moby Dick cards (like 1997 showcase masterpieces), they were more like beluga whales. But still white and whale-like...

Nothing beats snagging a white whale! In the last two years, I've speared three!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Very good thread, Brad. As a reseller, my #1 thrill is finding and making a deal on a MASSIVE collection. That used to keep me up at night thinking about. Now, it is finding a mega tough card I've been searching for, and making a deal on it. Nothing gets my heart racing quite like that these days.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I went with discovering a new card and buying it, but for me it is more about ANY item associated with the player, not necessarily a card. New cards don't really show up after all these years, but great oddball items do!

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I went with buying a huge card because I know how my heart races so much faster in those last few seconds of an auction when I REALLY want the card.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I get a serious card boner from pulling something amazing from a bargain box at a show or shop, but one of my white whales showed up tonight, so that might take the cake. Not a rare card, really, but they don't just don't seem to show up. First one I've seen since I started collecting this guy, and it was a whole $2.75:

1974 O-Pee-Chee #596 - Wayne Garland, Fred Holdsworth, Mark Littell, Dick Pole [Good to VG‑EX]
Courtesy of COMC.com

Members online

Latest posts