Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PayPal Rant!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I very rarely raise my voice at customer service representatives, let alone scream at the top of my lungs but I couldn’t help myself this morning. I sold two items on August 24[SUP]th[/SUP] for goodness sake, a 1/1 Topps Sterling Clemente quad jersey/pants/bat that went for around $680 and a Sidney Crosby Dominion Prime Patch Auto that went for around $150. I sent signature confirmation, insured, the works. The buyer signed for the items on September 1[SUP]st[/SUP].

On September 12[SUP]th[/SUP] (about 2 weeks later) the buyer opened a PayPal claim on the Crosby saying 3 of the 4 corners were damaged. I understand that with a lot of those thick cards (mine was stored in a one touch magnetic holder) you get small dings and such so I didn’t fight it, I told the buyer I can either offer you a partial refund for the condition issue depending on how much you’re looking for or you can return the item for a full refund. No response (neither via email nor on PayPal) from the buyer in over a week so on September 20[SUP]th[/SUP] I escalated to PayPal to get the buyer’s response on what he’d like for me to do for him. PayPal came back with a decision that the buyer can provide tracking and receive a full refund if the item is returned by September 30[SUP]th[/SUP]. On September 29[SUP]th[/SUP] the buyer provided tracking, I received the Crosby yesterday on October 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and confirmed to PayPal the item was received and I was ready to give him the $150 refund.

PayPal then ruled that the ENTIRE $830 for the transaction should be refunded to the buyer (Clemente + Crosby). The Clemente was never disputed via PayPal, it was never disputed at all by the buyer, it wasn’t sent back and he never intended on sending it back. I called PayPal explaining the situation and that the Clemente was never in question, only the Crosby. Initially the representative told me to file an appeal and provide a police report as supporting information (this was where I lost control of the tone of my voice). Ultimately she said she would escalate the decision and put the conversation we had in the notes but it’s just amazing that the buyer (who seems fair, just very, very slow in responding) never disputed the item via PayPal or otherwise, never sent it back, I never expected it to be sent back, and I was ready and in agreement to give the refund for the Crosby but PayPal for the first time introduced the full $830 as the disputed amount even though the entire time the claim was regarding the $155 Crosby purchase. It’s unbelievable that the buyer and seller had an understanding of the claim and resolution but PayPal at the end had a brain cramp and completely messaged up the resolution. It’s such a pain in the a** not being able to use PayPal this entire time while the funds have been on hold.

Rant over, lol

WaxPax

I can add this to the list of reasons why I'm in the process of not using eBay anymore for selling cards. Slowly I've been sending more and more of my card inventory to COMC, so I don't have to deal with the lopsided protection they give buyers. While I personally haven't had anything happen like has happened to the OP, between buyers remorse, Paypal charge backs months after the fact, unfair feedback platform, buy switch and return scams, etc it's only a matter of time....

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Hopefully the buyer returns the funds himself! Have you tried emailing him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The main problem in this case has been abysmal lack of communication from the buyer. I don't believe him to be a fraudulent buyer, however he signed for the package Sept 1 and waited until Sept 12 to open a case with the information "card had 3 of 4 corners dinged" - so he waited almost 2 weeks from time of signature to opening the case. I sent him 5 messages via PayPal, a couple via eBay, an a couple via email. All no response. After no responses across the board I escalated to PayPal where I said I will refund the money if the card is returned but I cannot both issue the refund and let him keep the cards. On Sept 20 PayPal said the buyer has until Sept 30 to provide tracking info that he is returning the cards. He did so on Sept 29, I received the card and notified PayPal it has been received and I'm ready to issue the refund on the Crosby, which is where they made the mistake.

Had the guy sent me an eBay message (I have 1500 all positive feedback), I would have instantly said look just initiate a return on the Crosby and as soon as I receive it I'll issue the full refund. The buyer went directly to PayPal without ever contacting me once or responding to a single message.

I appreciate all the positive comments from everyone else, I too am getting to the point where PayPal is losing my business. If I have some rare/high-end to sell I'll likely wait until the big card shows in the area or something like that because this kind of stuff is just a headache to deal with when it's not your full-time job.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I feel ya man. Ebay and Paypal have me seriously considering dropping them altogether. The service and protection for sellers is just awful.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Now that Paypal and ebay are not one company its time they accept other forms of payment because paypals lax buyer rules are out of hand.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah that's ridiculous...both on the buyers slow responses and paypals error.

Curious though, how were the corners now that you have the card back?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The more time goes by, the more Paypal horror stories I hear, the less inclined I am to sell no ebay. Just last month I had a situation where I sold a card for my girlfriend and had to eat a return on it for a bogus reason. Sold it in August for $300, last copy of the card sold for $160. I suspect the reason for the return was more financial than the stated problem. But there's no way to fight it. For any card of significant value, I'm gunshy of ebay now.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah that's ridiculous...both on the buyers slow responses and paypals error.

Curious though, how were the corners now that you have the card back?

Funny you mention that, they were perfectly fine with one of the four corners being dinged I guess if you really examine it like a vintage card rather than a modern game used. It was a Dominion Crosby Patch Auto, those thick patch autos are never mint, almost all the thicker patch cards I have have some imperfection or another. This was truly a very, very minor scuff on one corner.

But I know how picky some collectors can be, I was happy to accept the return and refund the buyer. Another thing I forgot to mention is 7 days after no payment and no communication I opened an unpaid buyer case. Ironically, the buyer paid the FINAL DAY before I could close the case. Just as ironically he provided tracking the FINAL DAY before PayPal would have simply closed the case because he didn't respond for 21 days. It's been horrific communication (zero responses to eBay, email, PayPal messages) but the buyer only disputed the Crosby, he sent back the Crosby in acceptable condition, but PayPal for some odd reason jumbled the entire transaction together and refund everything they took the liberty of refunding a $700 card the buyer never disputed and never sent back. I'm still a little bewildered

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
The more time goes by, the more Paypal horror stories I hear, the less inclined I am to sell no ebay. Just last month I had a situation where I sold a card for my girlfriend and had to eat a return on it for a bogus reason. Sold it in August for $300, last copy of the card sold for $160. I suspect the reason for the return was more financial than the stated problem. But there's no way to fight it. For any card of significant value, I'm gunshy of ebay now.

PayPal is a joke, a month ago I sent a 2002 Topps T206 reprint Wagner SP bat card. Tracking confirmed it arrived at location, buyer said "yeah tracking says it's here but sorry, I waited a few days and didn't get anything". Filed PayPal claim, $260 and change goes bye bye. Now it's not even an issue with the buyer it's just PayPal.

I also don't get their process because it's their loss. I've had this $830 on hold for a month and a half and obviously haven't done any business because of that (buying or selling). They're losing money and this time if the buyer disputes one item, sends the item, and PayPal refunds for that item PLUS another I'm just simply not going to resolve the negative balance until they get their head out of their a**. When they do I'll add the $150 to my account to resolve the negative but I'd rather discontinue buying/selling than send them a free $700.

Again I really appreciate the kind words from everyone, I'm not as angry about this one just because the result for their complete and utter stupidity and negligence will be a negative balance on my account until they get their head out of their a**

Members online