Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Talk about your Unreleased Fleer Paper Proofs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I've seen and heard about these - they are VERY curious items to me. What do you have, what have they gone for and what are your thoughts on them?

I personally think any fleer paper proofs are cool, but the fact that there are some that never made it as actual cards would be amazing for any collector.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I've seen some for Grace, and was at a National one year where a guy had a whole tub of them. I never bought the paper sheets, although I did see some unreleased mockups. Only one I ever bought was one that actually went beyond the paper stage to a printed cardstock proof. This card was never released, although others in the set were. This proof is a bit oversized, but otherwise final production value.

05FLEERFLAIRDFPROOF1.jpg
05FLEERFLAIRDFPROOF2.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I've considered, but the one I wanted that pictured an unreleased card I missed out on. I think there is an Autographics one up now that I'm just eh about. Last year some of the Donruss "Blue" test paper items went up. One featured an unreleased pic which was neat too. Depending on price I guess I'd chase, but never have added any.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I have a few Fleer paper proofs. I have more Donruss paper proofs including one that never turned into an actual card

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Stuff like that concerns me because it seems with high quality printers these days, they could be reproduced rather easily. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't put it past dirtbags to try it. I have a number of them in single and sheet form.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Stuff like that concerns me because it seems with high quality printers these days, they could be reproduced rather easily. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't put it past dirtbags to try it. I have a number of them in single and sheet form.
Until I saw quantity of items flooding the market I wouldn't worry about it. Yes it could happen, but I can't say I've seen any real duplication.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The tough part about proofs and unreleased items are that nobody really knows the true story, aside from maybe a handful of people personally involved. All it would take it to get a nice item in the hands of a crook who had the capability. We assume these things are unique (1/1), but who is to say there isn't a dozen or 100 or 1000s of paper proofs? We don't know and never would know for sure.

It's like the rash of fake patch cards made with real cards. You just have to go into the transaction using your gut. Know who you are buying from and get the most and best information you can, hoping that you are getting something genuine.

Aug 16, 2016
Central Florida
I picked up a 2001 Fleer Triple Crown Ichiro proof in sheet form. Three things that make it unique to me -

1. Ichiro is my PC guy :D
2. It's a proof from his rookie year
3. The proof photo is different than the one that was released in packs.

It also came with a inter-office fax cover sheet and hand written notes on it.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Those are some great looking proofs. Would make great cards. There's just something about older fleer cards that appeal to me alot

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Some cool Fleer bankruptcy paper proofs hitting eBay this week (seller leximo). I picked up this Hack Wilson 2002 Ultra Fall Classic insert proof. While this set was released, the Hack Wilson card didn't make the final checklist. I love seeing these "never-produced" cards.

s-l1200.jpg

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Some cool Fleer bankruptcy paper proofs hitting eBay this week (seller leximo). I picked up this Hack Wilson 2002 Ultra Fall Classic insert proof. While this set was released, the Hack Wilson card didn't make the final checklist. I love seeing these "never-produced" cards.

s-l1200.jpg

EXCELLENT pickup. I'm not sure totally what the market is for these, or what these are truly "worth", but they are some of my favorites!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
EXCELLENT pickup. I'm not sure totally what the market is for these, or what these are truly "worth", but they are some of my favorites!

I don't give them much value investment-wise, but I enjoy them for their hobby uniqueness and "behind-the-scenes" look at the decisions (and licensing issues) the card companies face.

Since my BO was accepted on the Wilson, I went ahead and made a BO on this proof too since I could combine shipping. I put this set together, so having a proof to include with it is a nice touch.

s-l1200.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I bought this one a few days ago from leximo. For the most part I like the stuff she sells, and it usually doesn't break the bank. She had a couple other ones for sale that I didn't get, but I liked this one. For some odd reason I like that long forgotten dugout axcess set and it is cool to see an actual pre-production proof with little differences here and there.

dugout axcess paper proof front.jpg

Members online