Thread: Talk about your Unreleased Fleer Paper Proofs

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk about your Unreleased Fleer Paper Proofs

I've seen and heard about these - they are VERY curious items to me. What do you have, what have they gone for and what are your thoughts on them?

I personally think any fleer paper proofs are cool, but the fact that there are some that never made it as actual cards would be amazing for any collector.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some for Grace, and was at a National one year where a guy had a whole tub of them. I never bought the paper sheets, although I did see some unreleased mockups. Only one I ever bought was one that actually went beyond the paper stage to a printed cardstock proof. This card was never released, although others in the set were. This proof is a bit oversized, but otherwise final production value.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've considered, but the one I wanted that pictured an unreleased card I missed out on. I think there is an Autographics one up now that I'm just eh about. Last year some of the Donruss "Blue" test paper items went up. One featured an unreleased pic which was neat too. Depending on price I guess I'd chase, but never have added any.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few Fleer paper proofs. I have more Donruss paper proofs including one that never turned into an actual card
    Want to buy anything Andre Dawson - Twitter @The8Hawk8
    159,911 Total Cards, 4,181 Different Cards, 1,098 Autographs, 355 1/1s, 174 RCs, 373 Graded, 187 Packs, 6 Buttons, 1,282 Mem Cards, 2,666 SN Cards
    28 Cameos, 206 Mentions, 337 Checklists
    Also collecting Drew Brees with my son

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff like that concerns me because it seems with high quality printers these days, they could be reproduced rather easily. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't put it past dirtbags to try it. I have a number of them in single and sheet form.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Stuff like that concerns me because it seems with high quality printers these days, they could be reproduced rather easily. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't put it past dirtbags to try it. I have a number of them in single and sheet form.
    Until I saw quantity of items flooding the market I wouldn't worry about it. Yes it could happen, but I can't say I've seen any real duplication.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tough part about proofs and unreleased items are that nobody really knows the true story, aside from maybe a handful of people personally involved. All it would take it to get a nice item in the hands of a crook who had the capability. We assume these things are unique (1/1), but who is to say there isn't a dozen or 100 or 1000s of paper proofs? We don't know and never would know for sure.

It's like the rash of fake patch cards made with real cards. You just have to go into the transaction using your gut. Know who you are buying from and get the most and best information you can, hoping that you are getting something genuine.

autocut
     autobilia
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have quite a few that are unreleased such as Hank Aaron Names Of The Game and Lou Gehrig Names of the game from Fleer Genuine.

icollectichiro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a 2001 Fleer Triple Crown Ichiro proof in sheet form. Three things that make it unique to me -

1. Ichiro is my PC guy
    2. It's a proof from his rookie year
    3. The proof photo is different than the one that was released in packs.

It also came with a inter-office fax cover sheet and hand written notes on it.

Check out my site featuring Ichiro
    www.icollectichiro.com
    RC's, Parallels, Variations, SSP, and Graded Cards

autocut
     autobilia
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IUjapander
    Teaching your kids the value of cards is an important lesson.
    -------------------------------------------
    Looking for any Fred Williamson cards #'d /10 or less.

-------------

dsj51
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some great looking proofs. Would make great cards. There's just something about older fleer cards that appeal to me alot

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some cool Fleer bankruptcy paper proofs hitting eBay this week (seller leximo). I picked up this Hack Wilson 2002 Ultra Fall Classic insert proof. While this set was released, the Hack Wilson card didn't make the final checklist. I love seeing these "never-produced" cards.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    Some cool Fleer bankruptcy paper proofs hitting eBay this week (seller leximo). I picked up this Hack Wilson 2002 Ultra Fall Classic insert proof. While this set was released, the Hack Wilson card didn't make the final checklist. I love seeing these "never-produced" cards.

EXCELLENT pickup. I'm not sure totally what the market is for these, or what these are truly "worth", but they are some of my favorites!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    EXCELLENT pickup. I'm not sure totally what the market is for these, or what these are truly "worth", but they are some of my favorites!
    I don't give them much value investment-wise, but I enjoy them for their hobby uniqueness and "behind-the-scenes" look at the decisions (and licensing issues) the card companies face.

Since my BO was accepted on the Wilson, I went ahead and made a BO on this proof too since I could combine shipping. I put this set together, so having a proof to include with it is a nice touch.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this one a few days ago from leximo. For the most part I like the stuff she sells, and it usually doesn't break the bank. She had a couple other ones for sale that I didn't get, but I liked this one. For some odd reason I like that long forgotten dugout axcess set and it is cool to see an actual pre-production proof with little differences here and there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dugout axcess paper proof front.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	73124
    Collecting Roberto Alomar cards. Got rare ones? PM me and let's make a deal!
    Some key cards still on the wantlist:
    1992 Star Promo - 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promo
    1995 Score Rules Jumbo - 1996 Aficionado First Pitch Preview
    1996 Select Mirror Blue & Gold - 1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion
    1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold - 1997 Topps Stars All-Stars
    1997 Score Platinum and Premier Club Teams - 1998 Bowman's Best Atomic

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast