Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for Ken Griffey Jr. collectors - possible new discovery 1989 error or promo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
Someone drank the kool-aid... the "error/promo" is no longer available on comc LOL

You mean "error/promo/counterfeit." There's no question that the card is a variation/error simply by the "Bat/Bats" thing, the question is whether it was produced by Score or another person/company.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
You mean "error/promo/counterfeit." There's no question that the card is a variation/error simply by the "Bat/Bats" thing, the question is whether it was produced by Score or another person/company.

Have you held both versions in person.? On normal fakes, the logos or trademark isn't as clear to the naked eye. First thing that comes to mind is the fake Fleer Jordan rookies from 1986-1987. Have you looked to see if the MLB Logo or Score logo is crystal clear compared to the non variation?

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
I'm looking for information regarding a significant variation on Griffey's 1989 Score R/T card.

Any Griffey collectors aware of this?

Any promo collectors or longtime dealer/hobbyists recall or have info on a preview/promo for the 1989 Rookie & Traded set? Are there other players in the set?

Thanks in advance for any info/comments.

I have been collecting promos for awhile and did not know about the 1989 Score R/T promos.

Jan 14, 2009
Have you held both versions in person.? On normal fakes, the logos or trademark isn't as clear to the naked eye. First thing that comes to mind is the fake Fleer Jordan rookies from 1986-1987. Have you looked to see if the MLB Logo or Score logo is crystal clear compared to the non variation?

I did but they are at my apt (not there until saturday) and I didn't catch the logo issues until today. I remember the stock and gloss feeling the same. I think it is very odd for a reprint to add fine print/text to those logos however, the 1990 Score cards all have the fine print on them so who knows.

Jan 14, 2009
Thank you for the update. Will be on the lookout for any. Was Griffey the only player in "the set"?

I have no idea. So far, only player I have seen but I only own Griffey, Vizquel, Ryan and Belle copies from this set. I did a brief look through several stars on COMC and did not anything like this.

The Griffey came to my attention as I was gathering color variations of those guys (common has purplish-blue print, less-common has stark blue print) and noticed the differences.

deujr61

Mar 8, 2011
Illinois
Well! I drank the Kool-Aid on COMC not once but, twice.

I purchased one from seller XtremePAUL and immediately after another was listed by same seller. I also purchased it but, after purchasing I noticed the images looked exactly the same. Also, after 2nd purchase another was listed with what looks like exactly the same image by the same seller XtremePAUL.

This morning I contacted COMC and explained that I thought something fishy was going on and that I also thought they were fake. I requested and received a refund and now the 2 I received refund on are for sale by COMC staff along with the 3rd listed by XtremePAUL. Check them out and see what you think. They are the three lowest price listings.

Jan 14, 2009
Well! I drank the Kool-Aid on COMC not once but, twice.

I purchased one from seller XtremePAUL and immediately after another was listed by same seller. I also purchased it but, after purchasing I noticed the images looked exactly the same. Also, after 2nd purchase another was listed with what looks like exactly the same image by the same seller XtremePAUL.

This morning I contacted COMC and explained that I thought something fishy was going on and that I also thought they were fake. I requested and received a refund and now the 2 I received refund on are for sale by COMC staff along with the 3rd listed by XtremePAUL. Check them out and see what you think. They are the three lowest price listings.

I don't recall my copies being so miscut but I will know tomorrow for sure. Those are definitely the card in question though.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I have no idea. So far, only player I have seen but I only own Griffey, Vizquel, Ryan and Belle copies from this set. I did a brief look through several stars on COMC and did not anything like this.

The Griffey came to my attention as I was gathering color variations of those guys (common has purplish-blue print, less-common has stark blue print) and noticed the differences.
The variation with the lighter and darker backs is where the printer added amine to the printing ink.

Fordman

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
So basically, we are thinking there are two possible scenarios, right?

1) Someone tried to counterfeit these 89 Score R/T Griffeys when they were worth counterfeiting (late 90s). But the counterfeiter misspelled a word and wasn't consistent with thickness/font.
2) These were early prototypes/samples that were fixed before production.

I'm hoping for #2 . As a Griffey fan, it would be cool for something super rare like that to be out there.

Jan 14, 2009
So basically, we are thinking there are two possible scenarios, right?

1) Someone tried to counterfeit these 89 Score R/T Griffeys when they were worth counterfeiting (late 90s). But the counterfeiter misspelled a word and wasn't consistent with thickness/font.
2) These were early prototypes/samples that were fixed before production.

I'm hoping for #2 . As a Griffey fan, it would be cool for something super rare like that to be out there.

Same. Sadly, I'm leaning toward counterfeit.

Or

3) Score used this 89 R/T card to test design changes sometime before finalizing 1990 Score. The MLB/MLBPA logos on the card in question are the same as the 1990 Score cards (with the micro text added), same for the font/text type of his uniform number and position. These are a few details that give me hope that this isn't a counterfeit. Perhaps sheets of this (and maybe others?) were printed and distributed among the production team.

It also seems odd that most of these examples are very miscut. Just a very strange thing to counterfeit and for there to be no prior word or knowledge of them having been counterfeited (as far as I can find).

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The next Beckett I have is 2000 January (was $40) so the $45 might be the high point.

Seems like an ideal card to fake considering it's just plain cardboard with no foil or anti measures of a blazing hot player.

DTA

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The next Beckett I have is 2000 January (was $40) so the $45 might be the high point.

Seems like an ideal card to fake considering it's just plain cardboard with no foil or anti measures of a blazing hot player.

DTA
But if it was faked say 15 years ago or so, how does it not get caught til now? I doubt it was counterfeited in a tiny quantity, and I'd think a grading company would have found it.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts