Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for Ken Griffey Jr. collectors - possible new discovery 1989 error or promo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
The next Beckett I have is 2000 January (was $40) so the $45 might be the high point.

Seems like an ideal card to fake considering it's just plain cardboard with no foil or anti measures of a blazing hot player.

DTA

Insane! I recall this period of strange price increases on junk era cards. There was a guy (or guys) who artificially inflated the prices of 1991 Bowman singles and boxes.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Insane! I recall this period of strange price increases on junk era cards. There was a guy (or guys) who artificially inflated the prices of 1991 Bowman singles and boxes.
In the 99' range he was also hitting 50ish hrs and 130 RBIs every year too which adding that to his big popularity didn't hurt either. Cheaper way than adding the 89' UD. Plus grading was getting going too. A perfect storm.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Could this be an issue of different print runs? Maybe the set was more popular than Score imagined, and they had to throw together some more at the end to fill more orders? I can't see exactly how they would have changed the back if this happened, but it's hard to see how a faker would have needed to redo the back as well.

Jan 14, 2009
Could this be an issue of different print runs?

The thing is, so far it doesn't seem that any other cards have these changes. That said, it's bizarre that a counterfeiter would change logos, type, font, punctuation/design. Why make it "from scratch" rather than reprint it? The 1990-91 Score Lindros fakes are identical except the darker colors/blurred fine print around NHL logos. Same with the 1990 Leaf Thomas, O-Pee-Chee Premier fakes. Very odd.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Reviving this after reading radicards post.

Any new findings or thoughts?

Everything points to a counterfeit from 2000 I say.

DTA

Members online

Latest posts