Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for Ken Griffey Jr. collectors - possible new discovery 1989 error or promo

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question for Ken Griffey Jr. collectors - possible new discovery 1989 error or promo

I'm looking for information regarding a significant variation on Griffey's 1989 Score R/T card.

Any Griffey collectors aware of this?

Any promo collectors or longtime dealer/hobbyists recall or have info on a preview/promo for the 1989 Rookie & Traded set?

Thanks in advance for any info/comments.
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

JEBJJA29
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @magicpapa would know but he has not been on here in a while. He is a huge Griffey collector....

Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    I'm looking for information regarding a significant variation on Griffey's 1989 Score R/T card.

Any Griffey collectors aware of this?

Any promo collectors or longtime dealer/hobbyists recall or have info on a preview/promo for the 1989 Rookie & Traded set?

Thanks in advance for any info/comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What leads you to believe there's an error or promo? Keep me posted, as I am very interested in finding out as well.
    -Ken Griffey Jr Collector-

Currently looking for:
    -1989 Phoenix Magnets (Orange Copyright Font)
    -1989 St. Vincent Stamp SPECIMEN
    -1989 Topps Heads Up Test
    -1990 Toys R Us Mini Box Card

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMaggs View Post
    What leads you to believe there's an error or promo? Keep me posted, as I am very interested in finding out as well.
    I'm trying to find any info first but there is a variation in his bio data as well as font and punctuation variations in the text. I can't find similar occurrences with any other R/T subjects.

I also know that minor design variances like this often indicate an unmarked promo and Score had a habit of issuing such types along with dealer order forms to preview sets. Usually they were so similar they ended up mixed into sets, boxes etc. but the jury is out whether this is a variation or promo or something entirely different.
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

icollectichiro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got any pics?

Check out my site featuring Ichiro
    www.icollectichiro.com
    RC's, Parallels, Variations, SSP, and Graded Cards

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    I'm trying to find any info first but there is a variation in his bio data as well as font and punctuation variations in the text. I can't find similar occurrences with any other R/T subjects.

I also know that minor design variances like this often indicate an unmarked promo and Score had a habit of issuing such types along with dealer order forms to preview sets. Usually they were so similar they ended up mixed into sets, boxes etc. but the jury is out whether this is a variation or promo or something entirely different.
    And your sure it's not a fake right? Of course, I've scoured the internet as well on the Score promos, haven't ever heard of a Score Griffey promo from the R/T set, but that doesn't mean it couldn't exist. Although, seems like an odd choice for a promo in 1989. Griffey was still a prospect, not a proven star. Score definitely was very subtle on their promos from that era, a main reason that they are some of my favorite promo cards in my collection, but I can't speak knowledgeably on a Griffey one.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkfan View Post
    And your sure it's not a fake right?
    No clue. But definitely something I'm considering, however, I have no recollection of them being faked and couldn't find any info/history of it being faked. Not that that is conclusive. It's a possibility and interested in hearing from anyone who's heard of fakes for this card.

I have encountered three copies of the "variant" version with the exact same differences.

I'm not convinced it is a promo for that same reason but you never know with score. I can recall them sending my shop some strange loose cards in promotional and dealer mailers that we assumed were base cards due to no outright markings.

Perhaps a Griffey collector here has a volume of them or large lot?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please post a photo comparison.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9 post into the thread and we still have no photos
    Want to buy anything Andre Dawson - Twitter @The8Hawk8
    159,911 Total Cards, 4,181 Different Cards, 1,098 Autographs, 355 1/1s, 174 RCs, 373 Graded, 187 Packs, 6 Buttons, 1,282 Mem Cards, 2,666 SN Cards
    28 Cameos, 206 Mentions, 337 Checklists
    Also collecting Drew Brees with my son

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a time when this card was selling for $40 or more because of perceived scarcity.

At that time it would make sense to counterfeit

DTA

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk8 View Post
    9 post into the thread and we still have no photos
    Happy to post pics as soon as I can but may not be until Saturday, swamped with work.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    There was a time when this card was selling for $40 or more because of perceived scarcity.

At that time it would make sense to counterfeit

DTA
    I recall them getting a boost over the Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Bowman stuff in late 98 or so, during the grading boom. But I don't recall hearing any counterfeit stories. Definitely had customers come through with 100ct (and an 800ct) boxes of his 89 UD card! Still, can't rule out the possibility.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would counterfeit cards have misspelled words?
    Aren't counterfeit cards just high quality copies?
    Or do counterfeiters actually recreate a card from scratch, typing every sentence, date and stat trying to match the font perfectly?
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Why would counterfeit cards have misspelled words?
    Aren't counterfeit cards just high quality copies?
    Or do counterfeiters actually recreate a card from scratch, typing every sentence, date and stat trying to match the font perfectly?
    I have no idea. This card has a handful of minor text/design variances. The most notable variation has the word "Bat" instead a of "Bats." I know the 1990-91 Score hockey set had similar issues on their promos so it led me to think the card may have been an early design but since 1989 R/T was identical in design to the base set, not sure why that would happen.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has to be a promo I'd say because I can't recall a single corrected error from any boxed traded set by any company.

DTA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast