Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for Ken Griffey Jr. collectors - possible new discovery 1989 error or promo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
I'm looking for information regarding a significant variation on Griffey's 1989 Score R/T card.

Any Griffey collectors aware of this?

Any promo collectors or longtime dealer/hobbyists recall or have info on a preview/promo for the 1989 Rookie & Traded set?

Thanks in advance for any info/comments.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
[MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION] would know but he has not been on here in a while. He is a huge Griffey collector....

I'm looking for information regarding a significant variation on Griffey's 1989 Score R/T card.

Any Griffey collectors aware of this?

Any promo collectors or longtime dealer/hobbyists recall or have info on a preview/promo for the 1989 Rookie & Traded set?

Thanks in advance for any info/comments.

Jan 14, 2009
What leads you to believe there's an error or promo? Keep me posted, as I am very interested in finding out as well.

I'm trying to find any info first but there is a variation in his bio data as well as font and punctuation variations in the text. I can't find similar occurrences with any other R/T subjects.

I also know that minor design variances like this often indicate an unmarked promo and Score had a habit of issuing such types along with dealer order forms to preview sets. Usually they were so similar they ended up mixed into sets, boxes etc. but the jury is out whether this is a variation or promo or something entirely different.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I'm trying to find any info first but there is a variation in his bio data as well as font and punctuation variations in the text. I can't find similar occurrences with any other R/T subjects.

I also know that minor design variances like this often indicate an unmarked promo and Score had a habit of issuing such types along with dealer order forms to preview sets. Usually they were so similar they ended up mixed into sets, boxes etc. but the jury is out whether this is a variation or promo or something entirely different.

And your sure it's not a fake right? Of course, I've scoured the internet as well on the Score promos, haven't ever heard of a Score Griffey promo from the R/T set, but that doesn't mean it couldn't exist. Although, seems like an odd choice for a promo in 1989. Griffey was still a prospect, not a proven star. Score definitely was very subtle on their promos from that era, a main reason that they are some of my favorite promo cards in my collection, but I can't speak knowledgeably on a Griffey one.

Jan 14, 2009
And your sure it's not a fake right?

No clue. But definitely something I'm considering, however, I have no recollection of them being faked and couldn't find any info/history of it being faked. Not that that is conclusive. It's a possibility and interested in hearing from anyone who's heard of fakes for this card.

I have encountered three copies of the "variant" version with the exact same differences.

I'm not convinced it is a promo for that same reason but you never know with score. I can recall them sending my shop some strange loose cards in promotional and dealer mailers that we assumed were base cards due to no outright markings.

Perhaps a Griffey collector here has a volume of them or large lot?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There was a time when this card was selling for $40 or more because of perceived scarcity.

At that time it would make sense to counterfeit

DTA

Jan 14, 2009
There was a time when this card was selling for $40 or more because of perceived scarcity.

At that time it would make sense to counterfeit

DTA

I recall them getting a boost over the Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Bowman stuff in late 98 or so, during the grading boom. But I don't recall hearing any counterfeit stories. Definitely had customers come through with 100ct (and an 800ct) boxes of his 89 UD card! Still, can't rule out the possibility.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why would counterfeit cards have misspelled words?
Aren't counterfeit cards just high quality copies?
Or do counterfeiters actually recreate a card from scratch, typing every sentence, date and stat trying to match the font perfectly?

Jan 14, 2009
Why would counterfeit cards have misspelled words?
Aren't counterfeit cards just high quality copies?
Or do counterfeiters actually recreate a card from scratch, typing every sentence, date and stat trying to match the font perfectly?

I have no idea. This card has a handful of minor text/design variances. The most notable variation has the word "Bat" instead a of "Bats." I know the 1990-91 Score hockey set had similar issues on their promos so it led me to think the card may have been an early design but since 1989 R/T was identical in design to the base set, not sure why that would happen.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It has to be a promo I'd say because I can't recall a single corrected error from any boxed traded set by any company.

DTA

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It has to be a promo I'd say because I can't recall a single corrected error from any boxed traded set by any company.
I was thinking promo too. Someone would have caught spelling errors on a Griffey rookie decades ago.

Jacksoncoupage, is the card missing the copyright line like the regular '89 Score promos?

And the only boxed set (not traded/update) error that was corrected that I can think of was the 1987 Donruss Opening Day Barry Bonds with Johnny Ray's picture on it.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
I was thinking promo too. Someone would have caught spelling errors on a Griffey rookie decades ago.

Jacksoncoupage, is the card missing the copyright line like the regular '89 Score promos?

The name on back has slight difference in letter size/shape, his position and uniform number are aligned unlike the askew regular issue, the bio data says "Bat" instead of Bats, the quotation marks are different in the text. Other telltale promo signs are normal: no photo cropping variances, stock felt the same, copyright is present.

I will scan and post the two when I'm home this weekend.

Jan 14, 2009

DTA

They typically weren't fixed in box sets but there are a few examples: 1989 Fleer Update has variations, 1982 Topps Traded (but also issued in packs?), 86 Fleer Minis.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Being there are 4+ variants(even if hard to tell) on the card, it's hard to think 27 years later on a KG it wouldn't be known. However even if they were counterfiet, I wouldn't think they were just created recently. So regardless if legit or fake, the fact no info exists is odd. With the amount graded I would think it would have been caught by now regardless if it was legit or not.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jan 14, 2009
There is a copy on COMC (four total now). Off cut but you can see the card in question there (last listed copy for $6.64)

http://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/...d_Box_Set_Base/100T/Ken_Griffey_Jr/1948939,p3

EDIT: I mistakenly described the common version as having his position and uniform number misaligned, it is the "mystery" version that shows the two askew.

EDIT 2: Looking at the example on COMC, some other differences pop out: there is very fine text above and below the MLBPA logo on this variant version and worth noting that this additional text appears around the MLBPA logos on the backs of 1990 Score cards; stats are misaligned (see SB for example); card background color is completely different type of green; the MLB and MLBPA logos have white in them instead of being the background bluish-green color like the regular version is.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts