Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I haven't seen much talk about 2016 Tek. Thoughts, opinions? Does anyone care?

I chased 2014 and 2015 Tek pretty hard, more than any other releases from those years. I even got a couple 1/1's, although there are still a few gaps in the rainbows for my PC (anyone got an Alomar 2014 Stripes or Red Storm Auto, or a 2015 Red Orbit auto to sell?)

This year? I dunno. It's exactly the same format, and although the cards look cool, I am leaning toward collecting this set like I do most new releases. Just get an example of the base card, plus a couple different parallels that I can pick up cheap, and call it good for the year. Seems odd to say but I guess my interest kind of took a nose dive, so wondering what others think. Not a lot of buzz on this board about them so far...

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
2014/2015/2016 Tek has been wonderful for me since I'm a team collector. No duplicates of players each year so there's different things to chase from each year.

2014 - Cargo (own the black galactic non. auto 1/1), Tulo (own both the black galactic auto. and black galactic non auto.; also own 3 of the blue /5 autos.), Eddie Butler, Galarraga (auto. only, has no unsigned cards)
2015 - Vinny Castilla (own both the black galactic auto. and non auto.)
2016 - Arenado, Jon Gray (black galactic is incoming), Trevor Story

I'm actively pursuing cards from 2016 and I think I have the complete rarity format figured out.

Another set that's not generating a lot of buzz is 2016 Topps Gold Label. I thought more people would be all over it. Seems like many of the 1/1's are being pulled in Asia, as I've bought both the Arenado class 1 gold from South Korea and the Carlos Gonzalez class 3 gold from Hong Kong.

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I love this year's version. I did a couple player breaks for Craig Biggio and did pretty well, I have several autos and colors incoming.
I think the differences from year to year are enough to keep it fresh while staying on point with what Tek is, a fun nightmare of a set.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
2014/2015/2016 Tek has been wonderful for me since I'm a team collector. No duplicates of players each year so there's different things to chase from each year.

2014 - Cargo (own the black galactic non. auto 1/1), Tulo (own both the black galactic auto. and black galactic non auto.; also own 3 of the blue /5 autos.), Eddie Butler, Galarraga (auto. only, has no unsigned cards)
2015 - Vinny Castilla (own both the black galactic auto. and non auto.)
2016 - Arenado, Jon Gray (black galactic is incoming), Trevor Story

I'm actively pursuing cards from 2016 and I think I have the complete rarity format figured out.

Another set that's not generating a lot of buzz is 2016 Topps Gold Label. I thought more people would be all over it. Seems like many of the 1/1's are being pulled in Asia, as I've bought both the Arenado class 1 gold from South Korea and the Carlos Gonzalez class 3 gold from Hong Kong.

Any chance you have duplicates of the lower parallels? Thanks

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Any chance you have duplicates of the lower parallels? Thanks

I only bought 1 of each card/parallel except the grid pattern (rarest pattern) - I own 4 of those and have seen 5 total. I'd like to see if any more than that are available as none have hit the market in over a year.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
Does anyone know how many patterns there are of each player?
And perhaps the easiest to the hardest patterns?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Beckett and cardboardconnection both have pretty good decoders. Looks like 6 "base" patterns that are not serial numbered. The players are broken into two groups as they have been in the past so there are two sets of patterns but each player is only in one set of patterns. Then numbered and color parallels and of course autos.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So these player breaks. I haven't taken the plunge on this yet but maybe I should if the price is right. I guess they are videotaping the breaks so it is legit. Do you generally do OK for what you bid?

2016 Tek is actually cool. A fun nightmare is right. I might be starting to waffle a little bit despite what I said in the OP. Maybe. I do like this crap :)

I love this year's version. I did a couple player breaks for Craig Biggio and did pretty well, I have several autos and colors incoming.
I think the differences from year to year are enough to keep it fresh while staying on point with what Tek is, a fun nightmare of a set.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
This is the first set I've done breaks with, trying to get lucky with the harder patterns. I did three separate three case breaks and landed 3 autos, two color parallels and the three low end parallels. I felt good with that since I paid $13 or so a piece. I did two separate team breaks for single cases and paid $28 each but really got lucky when I landed a Carlos Correa bright horizons Auto.
Clearly just like buying a box there's the chance you get nothing special but I've been extremely fortunate thus far.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I wish they wouldn't make the autograph area lighter on Tek cards, it works on normal cards but on these acetate it really dulls the overall card and isn't really necessary with blue pen on light colors. I think this year is better than last year though.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
The lighter area for the auto is more noticeable on some players than others but overall I agree, I don't think I've seen any autos that would have been negatively affected if the card wasn't frosted like it is.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Here's some of the excellence I've purchased from this years set:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I decided to go after 2016 Tek after all. I could take or leave most new issues, but I just like Tek. Still some big holes to fill, but here's the rainbow so far.

2016 tek rainbow so far.jpg

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
I decided to go after 2016 Tek after all. I could take or leave most new issues, but I just like Tek. Still some big holes to fill, but here's the rainbow so far.

View attachment 67032

You're the first person collecting the 5x7s that I've seen. I've tried staying away from them because I just see it as a subset not affiliated with the release.

I've tried putting the Felix hernandez rainbow together but have lost on two of the 1/1s so far so it takes the fun out of it for me. I don't have deep pockets like most.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
Have David Ortiz black proof 1/1 available and a Jason heyward charcoal galactic auto if anyone needs them.
49da0763475f7188b9cb7f5a4ccee73c.jpg
72f4ce7eff2a508d473090b014554ab1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online