User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Tek Thread

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2016 Tek Thread

I haven't seen much talk about 2016 Tek. Thoughts, opinions? Does anyone care?

I chased 2014 and 2015 Tek pretty hard, more than any other releases from those years. I even got a couple 1/1's, although there are still a few gaps in the rainbows for my PC (anyone got an Alomar 2014 Stripes or Red Storm Auto, or a 2015 Red Orbit auto to sell?)

This year? I dunno. It's exactly the same format, and although the cards look cool, I am leaning toward collecting this set like I do most new releases. Just get an example of the base card, plus a couple different parallels that I can pick up cheap, and call it good for the year. Seems odd to say but I guess my interest kind of took a nose dive, so wondering what others think. Not a lot of buzz on this board about them so far...
    Collecting Roberto Alomar cards. Got rare ones? PM me and let's make a deal!
    Some key cards still on the wantlist:
    1992 Star Promo - 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promo
    1995 Score Rules Jumbo - 1996 Aficionado First Pitch Preview
    1996 Select Mirror Blue & Gold - 1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion
    1997 Fleer Showcase Legacy Row 0 - 1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold
    1997 Score Platinum and Premier Club Teams - 1997 Proshooters Checklist 1

corockies
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2014/2015/2016 Tek has been wonderful for me since I'm a team collector. No duplicates of players each year so there's different things to chase from each year.

2014 - Cargo (own the black galactic non. auto 1/1), Tulo (own both the black galactic auto. and black galactic non auto.; also own 3 of the blue /5 autos.), Eddie Butler, Galarraga (auto. only, has no unsigned cards)
    2015 - Vinny Castilla (own both the black galactic auto. and non auto.)
    2016 - Arenado, Jon Gray (black galactic is incoming), Trevor Story

I'm actively pursuing cards from 2016 and I think I have the complete rarity format figured out.

Another set that's not generating a lot of buzz is 2016 Topps Gold Label. I thought more people would be all over it. Seems like many of the 1/1's are being pulled in Asia, as I've bought both the Arenado class 1 gold from South Korea and the Carlos Gonzalez class 3 gold from Hong Kong.
    Last edited by corockies; 11-30-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this year's version. I did a couple player breaks for Craig Biggio and did pretty well, I have several autos and colors incoming.
    I think the differences from year to year are enough to keep it fresh while staying on point with what Tek is, a fun nightmare of a set.

arturohillo
     arturohillo
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corockies View Post
    2014/2015/2016 Tek has been wonderful for me since I'm a team collector. No duplicates of players each year so there's different things to chase from each year.

2014 - Cargo (own the black galactic non. auto 1/1), Tulo (own both the black galactic auto. and black galactic non auto.; also own 3 of the blue /5 autos.), Eddie Butler, Galarraga (auto. only, has no unsigned cards)
    2015 - Vinny Castilla (own both the black galactic auto. and non auto.)
    2016 - Arenado, Jon Gray (black galactic is incoming), Trevor Story

I'm actively pursuing cards from 2016 and I think I have the complete rarity format figured out.

Another set that's not generating a lot of buzz is 2016 Topps Gold Label. I thought more people would be all over it. Seems like many of the 1/1's are being pulled in Asia, as I've bought both the Arenado class 1 gold from South Korea and the Carlos Gonzalez class 3 gold from Hong Kong.
    Any chance you have duplicates of the lower parallels? Thanks
    My bucket
    Edgar Gonzalez Collection: - the 1/1's: 108/111 (97.3%) Have 12 1/1s out of 29
    Jorge Cantu Collection: 487 / 688 (70.78%), 58 1/1s (14 non plates)
    - the 1/1's: 429/443 (96.84%)
    Total Mexican Collection: 3,958
    Mexican autographs: 123/124 and baseballs 110/124

corockies
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
    Any chance you have duplicates of the lower parallels? Thanks
    I only bought 1 of each card/parallel except the grid pattern (rarest pattern) - I own 4 of those and have seen 5 total. I'd like to see if any more than that are available as none have hit the market in over a year.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know how many patterns there are of each player?
    And perhaps the easiest to the hardest patterns?
    Cal Ripken Supercollector

***Tradelist***

My Cal Ripken Collection

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beckett and cardboardconnection both have pretty good decoders. Looks like 6 "base" patterns that are not serial numbered. The players are broken into two groups as they have been in the past so there are two sets of patterns but each player is only in one set of patterns. Then numbered and color parallels and of course autos.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So these player breaks. I haven't taken the plunge on this yet but maybe I should if the price is right. I guess they are videotaping the breaks so it is legit. Do you generally do OK for what you bid?

2016 Tek is actually cool. A fun nightmare is right. I might be starting to waffle a little bit despite what I said in the OP. Maybe. I do like this crap

Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    I love this year's version. I did a couple player breaks for Craig Biggio and did pretty well, I have several autos and colors incoming.
    I think the differences from year to year are enough to keep it fresh while staying on point with what Tek is, a fun nightmare of a set.
    1997 Fleer Showcase Legacy Row 0 - 1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the first set I've done breaks with, trying to get lucky with the harder patterns. I did three separate three case breaks and landed 3 autos, two color parallels and the three low end parallels. I felt good with that since I paid $13 or so a piece. I did two separate team breaks for single cases and paid $28 each but really got lucky when I landed a Carlos Correa bright horizons Auto.
    Clearly just like buying a box there's the chance you get nothing special but I've been extremely fortunate thus far.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I might try a break or two. Maybe that will get me energized for this set

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    Cool. I might try a break or two. Maybe that will get me energized for this set
    I was fairly excited for it but watching the breaks took me to the next level.

bmaaaaaaac
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they wouldn't make the autograph area lighter on Tek cards, it works on normal cards but on these acetate it really dulls the overall card and isn't really necessary with blue pen on light colors. I think this year is better than last year though.
    Randy Johnson Collector!! 5,161 Unique Cards & Counting.
    [Most Wanted: 2015 Topps Five Star MLB Logoman Autograph]
    https://sportscardalbum.com/u/bigunitcards

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lighter area for the auto is more noticeable on some players than others but overall I agree, I don't think I've seen any autos that would have been negatively affected if the card wasn't frosted like it is.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got this in a two case team break....crazy
    Last edited by bstanwood; 12-04-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Link

corockies
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some of the excellence I've purchased from this years set: