Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I made a terrible realization today, I'm a Topps slave. I'll buy whatever they put out. I finally broke down and decided to order the 5x7 version of the base and highlights 2016 Tek cards. I should have realized when I did that they wouldn't be acetate like the normal ones. So I was disappointed with them when I got them. Even though I don't really like them I find myself looking for a good deal on the gold versions so I can have those as well...Topps really has me by the short curlies.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Won this last night, was pleasantly surprised there was no snipe bidding at auction end!

s-l500.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'm also a Topps flunky when it comes to Tek. I just like them and will go after them every year. I bought the 5x7's even though they were on normal cardboard, but I hesitated on the 10x14 wall art ones...and now they're not available on the Topps website anymore! Kinda wish I'd have gotten one of those but oh well.

For other Topps stuff it seems to vary year to year, depending on how much I like the set design. This year I bought some Gypsy Queen and A&G, and last year it was Tribute, Stadium, and Gypsy Queen.

I made a terrible realization today, I'm a Topps slave. I'll buy whatever they put out. I finally broke down and decided to order the 5x7 version of the base and highlights 2016 Tek cards. I should have realized when I did that they wouldn't be acetate like the normal ones. So I was disappointed with them when I got them. Even though I don't really like them I find myself looking for a good deal on the gold versions so I can have those as well...Topps really has me by the short curlies.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Very nice. I wonder if Nolan will be in Colorado after his current 2-year deal is up. Hope so.

Seems to me like 2016 Tek is kind of dried up already, which bites because I still need a few to complete the non 1/1 run. I dunno, they'll probably surface eventually. I'm told that patience is a virtue.

Won this last night, was pleasantly surprised there was no snipe bidding at auction end!

s-l500.jpg

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I still see a few eBay breakers running once a week or so. I probably won't buy into anymore since I'm looking for just 1/1s now....And that damn arrows pattern...I'm sure there will be a few small "booms" with some cards/patterns/players as people continue to break. I guess it's all about that whole patience thing I keep hearing about now.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
"Seems to me like 2016 Tek is kind of dried up already, which bites because I still need a few to complete the non 1/1 run. I dunno, they'll probably surface eventually. I'm told that patience is a virtue"

Idk I watch a bunch of breakers.. and 2 of them post tek all the time and it usually sells out on about 20 min.

I bought into one the other day and hit a trout /15 auto. There's still a lot of stuff in those boxes!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
You might be right. Maybe it's just a lull. There are a ton of boxes still out there. Let's all recite the serenity prayer together...

Nice hit on that Trout autograph card BTW.

I still see a few eBay breakers running once a week or so. I probably won't buy into anymore since I'm looking for just 1/1s now....And that damn arrows pattern...I'm sure there will be a few small "booms" with some cards/patterns/players as people continue to break. I guess it's all about that whole patience thing I keep hearing about now.

"Idk I watch a bunch of breakers.. and 2 of them post tek all the time and it usually sells out on about 20 min.

I bought into one the other day and hit a trout /15 auto. There's still a lot of stuff in those boxes!

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Seems to me like 2016 Tek is kind of dried up already, which bites because I still need a few to complete the non 1/1 run. I dunno, they'll probably surface eventually. I'm told that patience is a virtue.

I've won most of my rare pattern / low serial #ed stuff from 2016 Tek from Asian eBay auctions. Seems to me like more of this product was broken overseas than here in the states.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
^^thats a great package to get back. The black galactics are awesome in hand, better than I thought. I'm still looking for the black rainbow, I've got the other two. You were able to get a great picture of the galactic effect!

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
^^thats a great package to get back. The black galactics are awesome in hand, better than I thought. I'm still looking for the black rainbow, I've got the other two. You were able to get a great picture of the galactic effect!

Yea those galactics are so much nicer in hand!!

Did they make charcoal galactic auto's of everyone? I have yet to see a Ripken in the 3 years of these auto'd?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Beckett lists Biggio as having one, of course I haven't seen it. But then again they list him as having a base auto and oddly enough I haven't seen a single one, all tidal diffractors this year...All of them. For all the ripkens you have displayed on here it seems odd that one specifically would elude you in three consecutive set years. Beckett also lists Ripken as having one.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
a700a47751e39ffdfec4a6dfa393bf1d.jpg

So finally took a picture of my tek rainbow!
Any I'm missing I would be interested in buying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
a700a47751e39ffdfec4a6dfa393bf1d.jpg

So finally took a picture of my tek rainbow!
Any I'm missing I would be interested in buying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is really great, all the color autos and you don't have the base or tidal? I'll post mine up in a week or so, I've got one coming from COMC and I'm watching an auction.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
That is really great, all the color autos and you don't have the base or tidal? I'll post mine up in a week or so, I've got one coming from COMC and I'm watching an auction.

All 6 base variations are along the top with the tidal top far right.

He has no base or tidal auto's.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Interesting, it seems Topps/Beckett left several collectors wondering what was real on the checklist. I checked cardboard connection as well, there's is a bit more vague but would still lead me to believe Cal had base autos. If you haven't seen them I will take your word, with everything else you have from the set I don't see how they would have gotten past you. Seems odd some players wouldn't have base, I mentioned earlier Biggio doesn't either, just tidal and colors...odd

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
Interesting, it seems Topps/Beckett left several collectors wondering what was real on the checklist. I checked cardboard connection as well, there's is a bit more vague but would still lead me to believe Cal had base autos. If you haven't seen them I will take your word, with everything else you have from the set I don't see how they would have gotten past you. Seems odd some players wouldn't have base, I mentioned earlier Biggio doesn't either, just tidal and colors...odd

Yea I don't think anyone really knows what exactly is out there... lol.
Tek never releases everything. Ripken has not had base auto's in any of the past 3 years only color's and inserts. A lot of players have some auto's but not base.... really no ryhme or reason. I have yet to see a 1/1 auto of Ripken this year(charcoal or print proofs). I'm sure they have to be out there but just funny I haven't seen any yet?!?

Nobody really knows I don't think.... lol

Members online

Latest posts