Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A peek into the bureacracy of pro wrestling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
A couple of months ago I started help add old wrestling events and results into a couple of the wrestling database sites (mostly from old newspaper archives). In the course of my research, I realized the Alabama Department of Archives & History had a bunch of old files from the Alabama Boxing & Wrestling Commission that ran from 1939(ish)-1980. I took a trip down to Montgomery to have a look and photograph as much of the material as I good.

If you've every been curious as to the "regulatory" (I put it in quotes because the commission clearly existed primarily as a way to generate tax revenue and line certain pocket, not really to improve the standards of the sports) side of the wrestling business, I started a blog with a post about some of the records I found and also linked to a Google Photos album where I posted the images.

https://territorydays.blogspot.com

My newspaper research hasn't quite caught up the time period that most of the records pertain to, so I've yet to add another post to the blog, but there is enough there for several hours of digging. I will probably be posting mostly about the history of the wrestling business in Alabama, and associated territories & promoters.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
This is one of the nerdiest and dorkiest projects ever undertaken in the history of the FCB.

(...and I am grooving on it. Thanks for your research. It's a good read!) :)

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Love the history here. Thank you for the time and attention. I'll keep reading as you add to the blog.

Im sure the records from the 30's up to the 70's we're *cough*cough* few. I'm sure the illegal events where a badged officer showed up, he was well compensated to go away, therefore, no paperwork. Just like any other state agency, the officers had to produce some sorta of paperwork to prove their worthy or need to be there. Sounds like wrestling didnt get the attention boxing did. Wrestling from that time frame was considered cartoonish (still is) and everyone that attended an event knew it was for entertainment only and not a real fight.

Fordman