Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When eBay doesn't side with you on a case, when you are in the right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
So beyond annoyed and frustrated at this point. I mentioned in a previous post that I purchased a card, and it had been either stolen or lost right before it was delivered to me. I opened a case with USPS, which got no where. They must have reviewed the case for 5 minutes, saw the tracking number and ended their investigation.

I then opened a case with eBay last week regarding the missing card, and asked for my money back. Today, they found the case in favor of the seller. I immediately called eBay CS, who then proceeded to tell me that it is my responsibility to instruct the seller how to send my item (I was not offered signature confirmation, or any other service. I wasn't even supplied a tracking number without me asking for it). That really annoyed me. In any other business, if a buyer has paid for an item and there are circumstances that do not allow the buyer to receive an item that they paid for, there shouldn't be a shred of doubt to say that the buyer should at the very least receive a refund of the purchase. It is baffling to me how eBay defended the seller on this one. Again, I think they reviewed the case for 5 minutes, saw the item had been "delivered" according to the tracking number, and ruled in their case. The whole thing is bull****.

Upon eBay's recommendation, I filled out an IC3, which is essentially a form where the FBI, or a service partnered with the FBI will investigate. I was then told 3 times that if I use this "one-time courtesy" to get my money back, then I will not be protected in the future if a similar event were to happen. Also bull****.

If I didn't have the rely on eBay for buying cards, I would totally stop using them. Such unprofessionalism and lack for customer service is appauling. I even asked for them to credit me eBay bucks, since I know I will be buying from eBay in the future.

We'll see how this one turns out. Anyone else have a ridiculous eBay story to share?

-_____-

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
It is the seller responsibility to get the item to you not the other way around. The USPS was the seller's agent of choice, said responsibility is then transferred to them. If the D.C. showed delivered it is a local issue and that fight is with your local post master and eBay will not assist.

A bit different but, I recently made a deal here on FCB for a trade, the cards were lost in one of my local offices, USPS denied the claim since it was not a purchase and we no evidence of value.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I was on the other side of this once. Guy said he never got the cards and I completely believe him but I sent it with tracking, it showed delivered. He wanted a refund but I wouldn't give it and eBay didn't either. He was pretty upset but I told him it's on the post office, not me

Collecting: Phil Bickford, Brandon Wood (still), Yankees and Rockies

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
That's really too bad. You can thank all the untruthful people out there who take advantage of people and say they never got an item even though they did. Ruins it for the people who honestly did not get something.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
That's really too bad. You can thank all the untruthful people out there who take advantage of people and say they never got an item even though they did. Ruins it for the people who honestly did not get something.

This ^ . I feel for you and that sucks, but based on the system saying the item was "delivered" makes it a losing battle on your part. If you put yourself in either the seller or eBay's shoes you have to be able to see it from their side as well. Either way totally crappy

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!

This.

I made a trade on The Bench with a guy in which we traded two $1 cards. I sent PWE because it was a $1 trade and three days later he demands that I send him more cards since the trade hadn't arrived. I asked him to give it a few more days, but he balked. I had no tracking, so I told him to let me know what would work for him. He gave me this ridiculous demand of like 20 cards (roughly $100 worth) along with this message: "I take a lot of care to ship my cards safely with tracking and it is unfair when I spend $4 on shipping but you only use one stamp." After I asked how he knew the method by which I had sent the card if he had not received the card, he stopped messaging me.

I'm sure the OP did not receive his card, but it is all of the shady people out there that make it so that he ends up getting screwed.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Sent a Christmas gift via USPS with $500 insurance printed at home and dropped it off without getting an acceptance scan. The package was never scanned at any point and after 2 weeks hadn't made it to its destination. I contact the USPS for a claim and they refuse because I can't prove the package ever made it to them.

Now, I won't ship without getting scanned as accepted.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Sent a Christmas gift via USPS with $500 insurance printed at home and dropped it off without getting an acceptance scan. The package was never scanned at any point and after 2 weeks hadn't made it to its destination. I contact the USPS for a claim and they refuse because I can't prove the package ever made it to them.

Now, I won't ship without getting scanned as accepted.

Ouch!

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Update: eBay reversed their ruling on my case. I don't know where the money is coming from (eBay or the seller) but I am getting my money back, thank goodness.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
As bad as it sounds, you have to look at it from the perspective of the PO and the seller. The tracking number indicates delivered, so there really is no way to defend that other that to plead that you are not lying and hope that the seller or PO believes this and will do something about it. Definitely a bad spot to be in.

I had a package marked delivered on a Saturday earlier this month. Packages go to my work address, which is not open on Saturday. The tracking number indicated that it was left with an individual, rather than delivered to box like it normally reads. That freaked me out! I waited 2 business days and by Tuesday after mail delivery, I went and talked to the local PO. Oddly enough, either by sheer coincidence or because I did speak to someone, the package arrived the next day. I figured I was SOL if it didn't show up because the tracking number showed it delivered. The delivery person could have stolen it for all I know, but nothing I could have done to prove otherwise with a tracking number showing delivered. We just have to trust the majority to do the right thing.

I think about this sometimes and it would not surprise me if it has happened numerous times before and how could you possibly defend against this? Seller sends a package with tracking and it gets delivered, thus "proving" delivery, but the package is empty? Now what?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
This definitely sucks when it happens and you are starting to see a lot more people, especially this time of year, steal stuff from porches and mail boxes because everyone is now shopping online for gifts or even for general purposes throughout the year. It's like half the stuff you find online is not even remotely available at a store. Sadly, for cards, buying online is really not beatable. I guess the best thing to do is get with your delivery man and see if you can get them to leave any bubble mailers or other bigger items in a hidden spot(maybe set one up). Or you could buy a bigger size mailbox with a hole big enough to slip things inside but not out and have a key to it.

Members online

No members online now.