Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Rats. That's one on the wantlist!
Yeah I only bought it because it was a crazy good deal. I got him with the Mirror Red, Mirror Blue, Marlin Monroe close worn card, Albert Pujols Bowman rookie, and something else I am forgetting for $10.00 each from a guy on beckett who was selling a bunch of cards. I got $50 from the Monroe card, $27.00 from the Pujols had the Mirror Red graded got a BGS 9 sold that for $80.00 and the Mirror Blue got a BGS 9.5 grade had it listed on ebay for $500.00 for a long time ended up selling to a guy who offered me $200.00 and he ended up selling it for $400.00 a few weeks later. I kind of wish I held onto it because I sold it way to low but I ended up getting a Jeter card I needed and why I let it go for $200.00 and I only had $17.00 invested in it with the grade and card together.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
One more recent pickup...1998 UD Piece of the Action. This was Alomar's first game-used card, and I think it's still one of the best (if not the best). Upper Deck absolutely crushed this one. Oddly enough the second one didn't come along for 2 more years, with 2000 Fleer Gamers Lumber, and that was the only one for 2000. Of course after in 2001 that the floodgates opened - and haven't closed. So it's odd that there were only 2 cards through 2000. Wonder why it took so long to catch on.

1998 UD piece of the action front.jpg

1998 UD piece of the action back.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Back to the topic of "fun and cheap" today. I found a sell sheet from Topps for the 1993 set, which had the Alomar card on it. I picked it up for fun, and when it arrived I noticed that the card front on the sell sheet was very different from both the base card and promo card. The promo and base cards have identical fronts but several style differences on the back, which I guess is not surprising, but it's curious that the sell sheet shows a card with such a different front.

On the sell sheet the Topps logo is black and on the left side. Also the colors on the bottom are all different than the base card. Here the text is gold, so maybe they wanted to show what the Topps Gold card would look like? But of course the actual gold cards were all gold foil on front.

Interesting that the Alomar is so different, while Griffey looks pretty much like the base card except for the cropping, and the Bonilla is identical to the base card. Don't know about you guys but I think this stuff is interesting.

1993 topps and promo front.jpg

1993 topps and promo back.jpg

1993 topps sell sheet.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'm listening to the FCB podcast #3 tonight and thought I would post a few new pickups. High end this time...

1998 Crusade Purple / 100
Just need the red now. Sigh. Anyone out there, who is not a hostage taker, have one to sell?
1998 crusade purple.jpg

1993 Finest Promo Refractor
After missing out on several auctions because A) I didn't have the cash, or B) I had the cash but got outbid, I finally got one. Major check mark on the wantlist!
I had never seen one of these in person until now, so didn't realize how different the refractive coating is between the promo and regular cards. On the regular cards it's almost a liquid look, but on the promo card it's much duller, almost cloudy. They definitely figured out that secret printing elixir before issuing the set...
1993 finest promo refractor.jpg

1998 Super Rave / 25
1998 super rave.jpg

1999 Super Rave / 25
1999 super rave.jpg

2016 Tek Black Galactic Auto / 1
I freaking love Tek. I don't have the horsepower to chase complete runs, but still manage a 1/1 or two each year.
2016 tek black galactic auto.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Also - let me give a shout out to [MENTION=7880]elberson[/MENTION] . Anthony is the first guy I've found on the interwebs with a decent Alomar collection, and we struck a deal for about 30 cards. Many of these were hard to find, so that was definitely a milestone mail day!

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I've got some Tek envy right now, those are all nice but that galactic auto is something sweet, this kind of thing might get me banned on this forum but I think I like it more than the crusade

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well I won't call [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] to ban you for this blasphemy, because I almost kinda agree...

I've got some Tek envy right now, those are all nice but that galactic auto is something sweet, this kind of thing might get me banned on this forum but I think I like it more than the crusade

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I don't get bored often, but am pretty bored right now. So I'm bumping this to the top in hopes that someone will magically post some rare Robbie cards! Still hoping to land some from my top wantlist below.

Also I picked up this beauty recently. I have a couple other nice ones coming in the mail, plus one that got lost in the mail :-(, but otherwise I agree with some other guys on other threads that it's been kinda dry out there lately.

2016 tek black galactic.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I have a nice high end graded Alomar RC collection. If anyone is looking for those 1988s LMK

All BGS 9.5

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
What would compel someone to generate this ebay listing? Can anyone here even attempt to explain?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roberto-Alo...208720?hash=item41cb7359d0:g:~0EAAOSw-F5Zd2EQ

It's a 1995 Score Alomar common card, listed at $10,000. Now and then I see morons trying to sell ordinary cards for big bucks, but I think that's mostly people who don't know anything and just think all baseball cards must be valuable. This one is something else that not even a "special kind of stupid" can explain. It isn't exactly important, I'm just curious if anyone even has a theory.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Not typically a card that has a comma in it's price. I've seen a Wakefield common listed for a grand once and thought the same thing, my best guess is they know and are just hoping someone doesn't know what they are doing

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Sunday night and time to indulge in wasting time with my PC. The influx of cards is slowing down as my wantlist gets more expensive...but still making slow and steady progress and am now over 3700 unique for this PC. Thought I would post some semi-interesting new pickups.

This is a fun one - a promo mailer for the 1997 SP set. I have a few promo pieces with pics of Alomar cards on them, but this one is unique because it shows a card that was never made. Alomar and Jones didn't end up being included in the Marquee Matchups set. [MENTION=2443]Fandruw25[/MENTION]

1997 sp marquee matchups promo.jpg

Nothing too flashy here, but surprisingly hard to find. I had never seen the 1998 Pinnacle Inside Diamond Edition until two appeared on the same day. One was on ebay and I ended up with it as the only bidder for $20. The other was on COMC and was overpriced (shockingly). The other is 2004 Donruss Classics Auto. There's the red/10, green/5, and platinum/1. Glad to have the red example since I probably won't ever find the others.

1998 pinnacle inside diamond and 2004 donruss classics auto.jpg

Also got a fun run completed the other day. Thanks to [MENTION=12441]Tfangman[/MENTION] for an awesome hookup. A while ago I posted asking if anyone had rare Alomar stuff, and he PM'd me to say a local card shop had a few. Sure enough one of them was on my list - the 2001 Donruss season stat line. Surprisingly hard to find for a /40 card. Thanks Tim! I bought the second-to last one from [MENTION=3735]clarkfan[/MENTION], the 2002 Chicago Sun Times show stamp/5. I like those show stamped cards, but can back off a little since I think I now have one example from all the early 2000's shows where DLP did this promotion.

2001 donruss run.jpg

Finally some promos from a set I really like, for unexplainable reasons - 2003 Playoff Portraits. This set had 5 promos and I found #4 recently. This SAMPLE card took FOREVER to arrive, and I had given up on it. I was about as bummed as you can get over a $3 card, but finally the USPS came through. As far as I know these promos were:

Blank Back (top left) - mailed to dealers
Red (top right) - given out at 2003 Atlantic City National show
SAMPLE (bottom left) - inserts inside Beckett magazines
PROMO (bottom right) - came with Absolute Memorabilia boxes
Green (missing) - given out at Chicago Fanfest

2003 playoff portraits promos.jpg

Last edited:

mooshoo

Aug 22, 2017
Hi banjar, I'm mostly a basketball/football guy but my baseball PC is Roberto Alomar. That said, since I have a few collections, I pretty much only collect Alomar PSA/BGS RCs and relic/autograph cards and a few others I just like the look of. There are too many regular base/oddball variants for me to track down every card.

I like your collection and writeups about some of the oddballs you've found though. Unfortunately don't have anything on your wantlist. However, if you know the whereabouts of a McDonald's 1992 autograph or another one of those super rare Barry Colla autographs, I'd love to know about them and buy them. Or if you have any other relic/autograph duplicates that you're willing sell, I'd be interested. Keep up the collection and the great posts!