Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mooshoo

Aug 22, 2017
I was watching it for a few days when it was like $40. Unfortunately for me, it went nuts lol

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I've been away from home for a few months, but still online and buying cards now and then. Here are a few recent pickups. They are all still theoretical since I don't have them in hand, but I'm looking forward to the greatest mailday EVAR when I get home :)

2015 Tek Red Orbit Auto /5. This completes the entire rainbow except the Black Galactic Auto /1. If anyone has leads on the whereabouts of that card, lemme know.
2015 tek red auto.jpg

2011 Topps Las Vegas Summit Auto /10. For post-career releases, I am really into the 2011 Topps base and update sets, and the Lineage sets - especially the 60th anniversary cards. And this one is pretty unique.
2011 topps las vegas front.jpg

2009 UD 20th Anniversary Buyback. I keep track of what % of Robbie Alomar cards I have for any given year, and for 2009 I am sitting at 0%. The good news is that with this one card I'm about to jump to 100%. That's right, he had exactly 1 card in 2009. I don't fully understand what happened between now and then, but things have changed. The last four years have had 215, 244, 245, 238 cards. Part of this was the HOF election in 2011, but then again 2013 only had 37 cards. The big reason is that Topps has exploded its number of offerings, and Alomar is in every damned one - with 25 parallels each. Anyway, back to the 2009 UD buyback. I was lurking on Blowout forums for a while, searching threads for cards, and found this one. It was sold from one member to another last year. I finally signed up for an account on BO and the first thing I did was email the seller to ask who he sold it to. He told me, so I contacted the buyer and was able to work out a deal. Thought I would never see this card, but now it's (theoretically) waiting in my mailbox!
2009 ud buyback.jpg

Random card corner. Every now and then I pick up a random card that pops into my mind for whatever reason. This one features Rick Henninger. I dated his daughter for a while a few years ago, plus the card is from 1974, the year I was born. He had a cup of coffee with Texas in 1973. Baseball-reference gives him a 0.7 WAR from 23 innings pitched, so that was a pretty good cup.
1974-Rookie-Pitchers-(Glenn-Abbott-Rick-Henninger-Craig-Swan-Dan-Vossler).jpg

2003 Donruss Rookie & Traded Atlantic City National /5. Another show stamp card. Found this one sitting on "those back pages" of COMC for a very reasonable price. No idea how I missed this with my zillions of COMC searches over the years?
2003 donruss national Roberto-Alomar.jpg

2000 Pacific Private Stock Premier Date /34. Can't help it, I am attracted to Pacific parallels. But it is exceedingly rare to find one that I don't have - the tough ones are TOUGH. So I was pretty happy to add this one.
2000 private stock premier date.jpg

2001 Donruss Elite Status /12. I saw this one pop up and immediately calculated how high I'd be willing to go...then placed the bid. When the auction ended with me as the only bidder at $20 I couldn't believe it. Let's just say my ceiling was a wee bit higher than this. Probably helped that it was mis-listed as Aspirations, not Status. But whatever, this doesn't happen nearly often enough.
2001 elite status.jpg

1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion /100. Yeah!
1998 ultra platinum medallion.jpg

2004 Cadaco Disc. This one scrolled by during an ebay search and I almost spit out my coffee. An oddball issue that I didn't know about? For cheap? BUY IT NOW.
2004 cadaco disc.jpg

2004 Topps Bazooka Blasts Refractor /25. Not particularly valuable, but it is particularly hard to find. This completes the Topps Bazooka issues from the 90's to 2000's.
2004 bazooka blasts refractor.jpg

Last and least:
1990 Donruss /100,000,000,000. Minor print variation where the white signature is offset from the black lines on the front. For some reason I like minor print variations and print flaws. That reason is probably because with each one I am adding a new "unique" card to the collection without spending much money...
1990 donruss print variation.jpg

Attachments

• 2003 donruss national Roberto-Alomar.jpg
    2003 donruss national Roberto-Alomar.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Random bump for a card on the old want list...

2005 UD Reflections Super Swatch. I found this one while trolling "sold out" listings on COMC. It's a form of masochism I guess, but it's also cool to see photos of cards that you have never seen for sale, let alone in person...and will probably never see again.

Robbie went to spring training that year for the Rays but didn't make the cut. However Topps put him in the set with a generic staged photo. I was sure the 2005 Topps was the only card with him in a Tampa Bay uniform, but this is a second one. Never seen a copy of this one or its two parallels for sale online though. Anyone out there have one??

2005 ud reflections super swatch.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
And the answer was....$798.88.

On the other end of the spectrum, somehow I got this little beauty today for $3.50, *slightly* under my max bid. Numbered to 19. This fills a nice little hole in the collection and completes the 2001 Triple Crown rainbow :)

2001 triple crown blue.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hey Brandon - yeah those are cool. From what I know Alomar is in 5 years of these "Oh Henry" cards, from 1991-1995. I have always liked them. Any new pickups on your end lately?

Thanks. I'm 43 years old and almost ashamed to admit how good it felt to land that card for so little $. It completely made my day.

That's a nice grab! Congratulations

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I like the Trader Jack copy I got from you. Nobody makes oddball cards anymore so it is a real treat when one comes along...

I have a gold
Press proof up 01/99 if anyone interested through here on PayPal and I could also sell you a Roberto from the trader jack set as well. Pm if interested in pair or just one

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I have been sick lately and not online much. That is a pretty cool patch. I have stayed away from most of the 2018 high end stuff so far but I might pick that one up if surfaces...

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah, that is a fact. There's a ton of new non-auto cards too. Over the past 13 years since Alomar played his last game, here is the total number of unique cards released each year by my count:

2006 0
2007 31
2008 23
2009 1
2010 70
2011 163 (HOF year)
2012 129
2013 37
2014 215
2015 244
2016 246
2017 244
2018 71 and counting

I've gotten fatigued with all the new releases. For a while there I was trying to buy one example of each base and insert card (like the highest #'d ones), but I have scaled back from that. These days I won't buy anything new unless I really like a particular set, or if a specific card just looks cool. In 2017 that meant Donruss, Topps Archives, Topps Rediscover Buybacks, and Tek, plus a few random singles. I haven't found anything from 2018 yet to chase.

Not much here just picking some of the newer autos, which there seem to be a ton

mooshoo

Aug 22, 2017
Yeah, that is a fact. There's a ton of new non-auto cards too. Over the past 13 years since Alomar played his last game, here is the total number of unique cards released each year by my count:

2006 0
2007 31
2008 23
2009 1
2010 70
2011 163 (HOF year)
2012 129
2013 37
2014 215
2015 244
2016 246
2017 244
2018 71 and counting

I've gotten fatigued with all the new releases. For a while there I was trying to buy one example of each base and insert card (like the highest #'d ones), but I have scaled back from that. These days I won't buy anything new unless I really like a particular set, or if a specific card just looks cool. In 2017 that meant Donruss, Topps Archives, Topps Rediscover Buybacks, and Tek, plus a few random singles. I haven't found anything from 2018 yet to chase.

Ya - it's tough to keep up with everything that keeps popping up - a few too many to be honest.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah it is crazy. I am REALLY hoping that MLB will give licenses to other companies in 2020. We need some fresh thinking and new ideas.

I think Topps does a decent job overall. The quality is there and they have a trillion different offerings, so at least a few of them will appeal to pretty much any collector. And they do have some innovative ideas like On Demand and Throwback Thursday. But it's getting stale. So many of their sets - especially the high end stuff - are indistinguishable from each other. Seriously. What the hell is the difference between Museum, Tribute, Tier One, Five Star, Definitive, The Mint, Strata, etc etc etc? They all look and feel basically the same. And frankly the same is true with Panini, although to a lesser degree.

Even back when we had actual competition among manufacturers, you could always tell an Upper Deck card from say a Pacific card. Even if it was a brand new card from a brand new set, you could tell - that's a Pacific card. Even with the variety that Pacific had, there was still a certain Pacific feel among their sets that came from having the same company, the same marketing philosophy, the same designers, and so forth. And it's still true. Show me a brand new Panini card versus a brand new Topps card, from sets I've never seen, at a distance where I can't make out the set logos, and I will still instantly know which one is which. I have increasingly little interest in continuing to wade through the Topps pond, and similar levels of interest in the Panini airbrushed pond.

I don't even remember the justification for why MLB gave Topps this monopoly in the first place. I think the arguments included the incredible statement that having too many manufacturers created confusion among collectors. Whatever. It's BS and MLB should be ashamed for giving one company a monopoly on baseball cards. There were lawsuits way back when to break the Topps stranglehold on the card industry, but here we are right back in the same sh*tty situation.

Get it together MLB. We need fresh thinking and new ideas. End of rant :)

71 cards produced in 5 months for a guy that has been retired for over a decade and there is only 1 licensed manufacturer of baseball cards? Wow!!! Thats crazy

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

Members online