Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 hobby goals **last week of the year!!**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
where's everyone at?! 4 short weeks left for the year. certainly not done but wrapping up and looking forward to the new year.

with a handful of days remaining in 2016 it's time to hope and dream about all the good stuff that going to happen for us in the coming year. I'll get it started.

I've learned in the 2 short years I've been a part of this thread. the more vague I am, the more successful I am ;)

1) keep plugging away at my PC and hopefully finish at least one years worth of signatures. 2016 saw HUGE strides in my collection.

2)get supplies and have everything mini snap tite, labeled and team bagged.

3)pick up 3-5 hof patches. not a serious PC but one I am working on slowly

4) personally, I really need to lose about 30-40 lbs. if I can do that I'll reward myself

1) haven't finished any. as little as 3 away from one and under 10 on 6 other sets. with things being slow on the main PC pickup front I've expanded into several other sets and players. BUT 2017 was a great year of collecting once again.

2) mostly accomplished, I need some.more 180pt snaps but 99% of my PC is cased and bagged.

3) picked up a few great patches this year. mostly Spahn but a few great wool patches as well of various HOF
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

4) I didn't lose 30lbs But I did get back in the gym over spring and the early part of summer bettering my overall health and increasing my strength considerably in 10 short weeks

I'll probably expand on this a little more later but good for now.

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I wanted to add 6 Wakefields that weren't released this year,with a nice little addition this afternoon I am at 2.
I passed almost all my Biggio PC goals. Over 1600 now. Added three 98 Tek diffractors and 3 99 Tek golds. I wanted to finish the 99 Tek base, still two shy. I'm about 2/3 through the 98 Tek base patterns. Still no Herb Pennock, missed a few this year but I'll wait for one in my price range. I'd call this year a success for my collection.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
1. Keep my eyes open for any Mantle cards I don't have....maybe some Bazooka.
2. T207 Hoff
3. 1956 Rizzuto pin
4. 1961 & 62 Topps Yankee stamp pairs.
5. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players...Cefalu, Halland (Holland), Jenkins, Powell, Pressley, Schmidt & Shagnessy (Shaughnessy)
6. Work on getting to 700 Yankee autographs
7. Collect In Person autos at the Salem games

Completed #2 & 6, while the others are still works in progress, though I did get a lot of autographs in Salem and I got closer on my stamp pairs.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
12/3 update

Here's where I am at:

Hobby-wise I have a few goals for 2017:
1) Sell off all items that I do not find any joy in collecting
Have sold off some items, but not nearly enough
Sold a few items, lots more to go

2) Pick up 2-3 items related to integration/Jckie Robinson and continue to learn about that time in baseball/American history
Pretty nice progress here. Picked up a Jackie College yearbook and 1948 Cleveland Indians Team baseball - the first team with African American players that won the World Series. Ball has a really nice Satchell Paige autograph (with 2 L's in Satchell, the last year that he signed that way.
Picked up a number of "lesser" items over the last few months. Picked up something major last night which I feel is connected. Posting about it shortly.

3) Pick up a couple of more WWII-related baseball items (particularly team signed baseballs). Try to find some related to baseball players that I do not have WWII linked items for like Bob Feller. And if there is anything WWII Hank Greenberg related, jump all over it.
Haven't had any progress here.
Haven't found anything Greenberg or Feller I like but picked up a nice DiMaggio WWII team baseball, a nice Vince DiMaggio baseball with Wimpy Quinn (one of the toughest signatures of a player in the 40's) and picked up what I think are ridiculously cool programs from when Yogi Berra was playing in the independent league under a pseudonym while in the military (before his RC season)

4) Pick up a few more line-up cards with HOF managers. I'd love to pick up at least 1 from before 1950, though those are particularly tough. More reasonable are guys like Yogi Berra and other more recent managers. Others I'd love to find include Walt Alston, Leo Durocher, Eddie Mathews and a ton of others that are much less likely.
Just picked up an Alston lineup card. Also picked up a couple of Boudreau lineup cards, along with Al Lopez, Bob Lemon and a second Bucky Harris. On non-HOF lineup cards I picked up a couple of biggies: George Brett 3,000 hit game and Phil Niekro 300 win carbon copies. Also picked up a large lot that included quite a few Torre, Cox, Frank Robinson and Whitey Herzog along with quite a few from Ozzie Smith and Tony Gwynn RC seasons.
This has been pretty slow. Started picked up lineup cards from WS winning seasons, and picked up a Yankees 1967 Opening Day card, but not much to write home about.

5) Consider collecting a vintage set (or possibly the HOFers from the set). Been considering a couple of sets that I think would be fun, and possibly a decent investment as well.
Picked up a Rogers Hornsby 1921 Exhibits, but have been kind of undecided on whether to try and build the set.
Decided not to continue pursuing this. Will likely sell the Hornsby.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
2016 was epic, I was able to attend the National. My 2017 goals will be a bit more modest.

1. Attend 2-3 local card shows
    Was able to attend just two local shows.
  2. Build Yankees team sets from the 1950s and 1960s
    Picked up a few dozen cards. Approaching 80% complete for both decades, a little over 100 cards remain.
  3. Complete the 1970s, down to 9 cards
    Down to two cards -- 1972 #699 Murcer and 1970 #189 Munson RC. Waiting for the right Munson.
  4. Pick Yankees Heritage & Topps SP/variations from recent years
    Picked up a bunch this year, continuing to chipping away.
  5. Sell extras and non-PC items
    Working on a spreadsheet.

Hoping to add a few more before the end of the year.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Goes to figure I made some of my best pickups ever in 2017 but never made any goals. Oh well I will come up with some for 2018.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I've fallen a bit short on most but I still feel pretty good about what I accomplished. Over 1600 Biggios now. Added a couple playing days Wakefields and over 30 Wakefield autos in 2017 releases. Added an Ira Flagstead for the BoSox collection but I still want a Herb Pennock real bad...no panini bs, a real playing days Pennock like '22 caramel style.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I've fallen a bit short on most but I still feel pretty good about what I accomplished. Over 1600 Biggios now. Added a couple playing days Wakefields and over 30 Wakefield autos in 2017 releases. Added an Ira Flagstead for the BoSox collection but I still want a Herb Pennock real bad...no panini bs, a real playing days Pennock like '22 caramel style.

1600 biggios? crazy impressive
griffey has like 5 million cards and it took me 10 years of trading and buying to get over 1600

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
1600 biggios? crazy impressive
griffey has like 5 million cards and it took me 10 years of trading and buying to get over 1600

I started the year with 1200ish. I started my Biggio PC several years ago but didn't really start to go hard until two years ago. Probably won't get to 2,000 in 2018 due to bedget constraints but 2019 it should happen.

Members online