Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 hobby goals **last week of the year!!**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
First and foremost will be to get settled into my new hobby room in the basement. Hopefully it'll be finished by the Spring, but our contractor is doing our basement more as a side job while he works elsewhere full-time, so it's been taking a lot longer than we expected. Drywall is about 2/3 done.

Otherwise, I hope to resurrect my Olerud collection and continue scanning stuff for my website, as well as continue my 1974 to present Topps set run (probably try to finish '74), and my 1977 to present Blue Jays Topps team set run. All my cards have been packed away in our walk-in closet while the basement work as been happening, so my collecting has stalled since the Fall.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
I'm going to finally organize this McGwire collection. Was in the process of putting all of my Autos in One-Touches. Started pulling cards from here, there, this box, that box, and realized I had over 150 Autos (not all cards). Depresses me to know that for every one I have, Topps and Panini are making 20 more. I'd like to break McGwire's fingers, but he would probably just switch to an uglier signature (again).

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I have the somewhat lofty goal of completing the "poor man's" 1909-11 T206 Monster in 2017. I will never get the "Big Four" (Wagner, Doyle, Plank, Magie) unless I hit the lottery, but I think I can add the final two cards (O'Hara & Demmitt) I need for 520 our of 524.

This will also be the year that I (snicker) neatly organize and (snicker) categorize all of my cards and keep my hobby room (snicker) neat and orderly. :)

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Hobby goals
1. Continue adding to my player collections. I'm kinda stalled with Bucky Jacobsen, only added a handful of cards last year. Erstad has become difficult as well... either way overpriced or just never listed (tough cards, non-rare cards, and everything in between).

2. Display my game use items (jerseys, bats, helmets, gloves) in my office.

3. Get rid of clutter and donate items that aren't part of my player collection. I could use the extra storage space as well.

Non-Hobby goals
1. Get out of debt. Target date September 2017. This last part has been most stressful. So close to the end but feeling the pressure & stress of being able to do it. Belt is as tight as it can be.

2. Continue spending lots of time with my wife and son.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've been less attracted to the hobby for a couple years now, but I still have ongoing projects and I'm still on ebay every day. I think one of my goals last year was to not take on any new projects, but I broke that rule by diving into the Flawless Team USA baseball set, which I was able to knock out in about a month.

1) Cross off at least half of my 1941 Play Ball wants (I need about 10 cards, but they are all the big names like Williams and Joe D. Although at this point I'm sort of sick of looking at the list and should either bite the bullet and get them or forget about them for a couple more years)
2) Reach 80 2011 Marquee Museums (currently at 76, but they've almost completely dried up)
3) Acquire at least 3 of my top RC wants (Aaron, Koufax, Clemente, Trout, Ichiro, Pujols)
4) Get up to at least 75% complete on 2014 Flawless #/20s (currently about 60%, but new cards are )
5) Scan a ton of stuff and build a website to show it off

And sorry but I've got some MTG goals as well
6) Finish collecting the full MTG Reserve List (cards they've stated they will never reprint, lots of the top old cards like Black Lotus, but also some complete crap cards)
7) Become proficient in Doomsday Gifts

And the ever-popular "sell old stuff to get new stuff." But I really mean it this time. I moved a couple months ago, and in packing up I picked up all the little piles of cards from around the house and put them into either "keeper" or "for sale" boxes. Now I've been going through them to sort out, and my GF has offered to help scan cards for sale (because she's the best). So I should be ready for spring training.

And lose some weight, sure.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Well things have gone wayyy down hill for me last yr up. My buddy who had a shop (in the next city) and gave me tons to trade for Jays had a massive stroke and is barely there. His partner and his family closed up the shop. From there i also had consignments i did for wax money...all gone. So i'm basically clearing out anything non Jays or personal favorites. Still love Chrome & prospecting but my wax days are over...for now :cool:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Well things have gone wayyy down hill for me last yr up. My buddy who had a shop (in the next city) and gave me tons to trade for Jays had a massive stroke and is barely there. His partner and his family closed up the shop. From there i also had consignments i did for wax money...all gone. So i'm basically clearing out anything non Jays or personal favorites. Still love Chrome & prospecting but my wax days are over...for now :cool:
Hope he gets better. That's awful. I'll keep my eyes open for Jays

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
My one goal is to rekindle that spark for this hobby I have had for 40+ years but seems to have fizzled out in recent years.

I love reading about the hobby but the thought of actually going out and buying a card or anything for that matter leaves me flat.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Hobby-wise I have a few goals for 2017:
1) Sell off all items that I do not find any joy in collecting
2) Pick up 2-3 items related to integration/Jackie Robinson and continue to learn about that time in baseball/American history
3) Pick up a couple of more WWII-related baseball items (particularly team signed baseballs). Try to find some related to baseball players that I do not have WWII linked items for like Bob Feller. And if there is anything WWII Hank Greenberg related, jump all over it.
4) Pick up a few more line-up cards with HOF managers. I'd love to pick up at least 1 from before 1950, though those are particularly tough. More reasonable are guys like Yogi Berra and other more recent managers. Others I'd love to find include Walt Alston, Leo Durocher, Eddie Mathews and a ton of others that are much less likely.
5) Consider collecting a vintage set (or possibly the HOFers from the set). Been considering a couple of sets that I think would be fun, and possibly a decent investment as well.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
with a handful of days remaining in 2016 it's time to hope and dream about all the good stuff that going to happen for us in the coming year. I'll get it started.

I've learned in the 2 short years I've been a part of this thread. the more vague I am, the more successful I am ;)

1) keep plugging away at my PC and hopefully finish at least one years worth of signatures. 2016 saw HUGE strides in my collection.

2)get supplies and have everything mini snap tite, labeled and team bagged.

3)pick up 3-5 hof patches. not a serious PC but one I am working on slowly

4) personally, I really need to lose about 30-40 lbs. if I can do that I'll reward myself

Almost 6 months in, any progress?

1) keep plugging away. picked up a few big pieces for myself. needing 6 or less autos for 6 different sets. slow going.

2) bought a ton of supplies. should have doubled my order. not near enough.

3)done. even started a side PC of Spahn

4) I've lost 15 but not a great indicator as I picked up weight lifting again and actually went up a size in pants.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Get rid of a lot of stuff I'm not PCing. Take pictures with my daughter and more minor league players and get 8x10s signed. Help other dads get their kids into the hobby by sending more cards. Non hobby, take Sundays off to have at least one family day

Collecting: Phil Bickford, Brandon Wood (still), Yankees and Rockies
Decent progress. Need to get more cards to kids though

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Just past the half way point on the year here's my progress, would like to hear more on how others are doing.
1-added one Wakefield that isn't from this year, that was from a fellow collector here, haven't found a single one for sale that I need.
2-Ive added a little over 200 to my Biggio PC, sitting at 1425ish. 1500 is in the bag.
2b-still need 2 to complete my 99 Tek Biggio set, 12b and 30b, but have added three gold patterns, win.
2c-Im at 64 base patterns and did just got my third diffractor a couple weeks back.
3-painfully missed a couple of Pennocks that got too pricey, but I have added a Flagstead.
4-No new HOF rookies, had too much fun with my other projects so far, haven't even been shopping for this one.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Just past the half way point on the year here's my progress, would like to hear more on how others are doing.
1-added one Wakefield that isn't from this year, that was from a fellow collector here, haven't found a single one for sale that I need.
2-Ive added a little over 200 to my Biggio PC, sitting at 1425ish. 1500 is in the bag.
2b-still need 2 to complete my 99 Tek Biggio set, 12b and 30b, but have added three gold patterns, win.
2c-Im at 64 base patterns and did just got my third diffractor a couple weeks back.
3-painfully missed a couple of Pennocks that got too pricey, but I have added a Flagstead.
4-No new HOF rookies, had too much fun with my other projects so far, haven't even been shopping for this one.

Have you seen this years auto's of Wakefield?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tim-Wakefield-Red-Sox-2017-Topps-Archives-Auto-Autograph-/322578573499?hash=item4b1b2e68bb:g:fWQAAOSw8GtZW6cQ

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Here's where I am at:

Hobby-wise I have a few goals for 2017:
1) Sell off all items that I do not find any joy in collecting
Have sold off some items, but not nearly enough

2) Pick up 2-3 items related to integration/Jackie Robinson and continue to learn about that time in baseball/American history
Pretty nice progress here. Picked up a Jackie College yearbook and 1948 Cleveland Indians Team baseball - the first team with African American players that won the World Series. Ball has a really nice Satchell Paige autograph (with 2 L's in Satchell, the last year that he signed that way.

3) Pick up a couple of more WWII-related baseball items (particularly team signed baseballs). Try to find some related to baseball players that I do not have WWII linked items for like Bob Feller. And if there is anything WWII Hank Greenberg related, jump all over it.
Haven't had any progress here.

4) Pick up a few more line-up cards with HOF managers. I'd love to pick up at least 1 from before 1950, though those are particularly tough. More reasonable are guys like Yogi Berra and other more recent managers. Others I'd love to find include Walt Alston, Leo Durocher, Eddie Mathews and a ton of others that are much less likely.
Just picked up an Alston lineup card. Also picked up a couple of Boudreau lineup cards, along with Al Lopez, Bob Lemon and a second Bucky Harris. On non-HOF lineup cards I picked up a couple of biggies: George Brett 3,000 hit game and Phil Niekro 300 win carbon copies. Also picked up a large lot that included quite a few Torre, Cox, Frank Robinson and Whitey Herzog along with quite a few from Ozzie Smith and Tony Gwynn RC seasons.

5) Consider collecting a vintage set (or possibly the HOFers from the set). Been considering a couple of sets that I think would be fun, and possibly a decent investment as well.
Picked up a Rogers Hornsby 1921 Exhibits, but have been kind of undecided on whether to try and build the set.

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I have added about 30ish boxes of 90s-early 2000s Finest and Bowmans Best. They are at work and I will take a pic when I return to the office on Monday

That's awesome! I love those old sets.

I picked up 4 boxes of 2001 Fleer Greats of the Game.