The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by u2me57 View Post
    Awesome additions! Love the 57's since I'm partial to that year. Question, How do you store or preserve the lineup cards to keep them in good condition and keep them from fading.
    I love the ones that still used the older style line-up cards, and the 57's fit in with that nicely.

When it comes to condition, it is much less of a concern than cards. Most of them are fairly beaten up as they had utility and weren't intended as collectibles. Fading is slightly more of a concern but I keep them in soft sleeves and toploaders and generally keep them out of the sunlight. (This is really key for signed baseballs; I'm less concerned about 60 year old pen on paper fading, but it can't hurt.) I only display a couple of items at a time. This means they take up less space, and each item when displayed is appreciated and not lost among tons of other items.

Featured Contributor
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a huge name, but a HOF manager.

Bob Lemon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lemon, Bob line-up card 1972.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	70264

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been thinking it would be cool to pick up a White Sox lineup card for awhile now. Your incredible collection has inspired me to follow through with this idea. As you have mentioned, these are relatively scarce but also not widely collected. I'm trying to determine what a fair value would be for lineup card of a historically insignificant game. Any advice?

I'm really enjoying the history you're providing for your most recent pick-ups. It adds flavor in what can often be an uninspiring hobby.

Featured Contributor
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stof View Post
    I have been thinking it would be cool to pick up a White Sox lineup card for awhile now. Your incredible collection has inspired me to follow through with this idea. As you have mentioned, these are relatively scarce but also not widely collected. I'm trying to determine what a fair value would be for lineup card of a historically insignificant game. Any advice?

I'm really enjoying the history you're providing for your most recent pick-ups. It adds flavor in what can often be an uninspiring hobby.
    Glad you've found them interesting.

When it comes to lineup cards, you have the top copy and the carbon copies. Carbon copies can be found for $10 or less at times. I've posted a link below which fits that.

For the handwritten copy, if the manager is no one significant, nothing significant happened in the game and there are no (or few) big name players, you should be able to one for under $20. If the manager is anyone of note or the game is relevant the price goes up, though outside of the biggest milestones (no-hitter, milestone game etc) people may not realize what they have so you can often find a complete game shutout etc. for no additional cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Texas-R...QAAOSw2xRYcrVq

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

Featured Contributor
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Line-Up Card Collection - New additions 5/11/2017

This one is a bit interesting. It's from 1953
    reds and is unsigned but is supposedly written by Rogers Hornsby who was the manager then. I compared the handwriting and am fairly comfortable that it was written by Hornsby although I may send it to PSA to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    477 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, gotta go home and dig out the ones I have and see if anything special happened in those games

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lineup cards of back to back games between MN and BAL with Puckett and Ripken playing. I was always skeptical because they weren't signed, but I'd be curious to see other verified MN lineup cards to see if the writing matches Tom Kelly.

Featured Contributor
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    I have lineup cards of back to back games between MN and BAL with Puckett and Ripken playing. I was always skeptical because they weren't signed, but I'd be curious to see other verified MN lineup cards to see if the writing matches Tom Kelly.
    There are some managers who never/rarely signed their line-up cards. There are others who (at least at times) had someone else sign their name. This seems to be the case with Leo Durocher unfortunately.

Comparing handwriting is usually fairly easy in these cases because there are quite a few names on the cards, and there is no real reason to assume anyone was trying to imitate anyone else's handwriting as even today these barely qualify as collectibles outside of lineup cards from very significant games.

Featured Contributor
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was able to snag a lineup card from longtime Dodgers HOF manager Walter Alston. I'd love to upgrade this one day to end earlier card from the Jackie Robinson days, but happy to have this one.

The second card is from the Braves and while Lum Harris is not a well known manager (I had heard of him because he fought in WWII and that's another area of my collection but his MLB career as a player and manager was not hugely memorable) but I thought having a card with Hank Aaron (card also has Orlando Cepeda) was pretty cool.

Featured Contributor
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea why for Aaron the manager felt the need to put a first initial, as if people wouldn't know which Aaron he meant lol.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    477 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    No idea why for Aaron the manager felt the need to put a first initial, as if people wouldn't know which Aaron he meant lol.

Tommie was on the 71 braves team also....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Line-up

Really liked viewing your ongoing collection of team line-ups. Especially like the '57 Orioles as Richards was such a great baseball guy. I have absolutely zero line-ups and wonder why I have never sought these in the past. Makes for a great display and collectible.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Featured Contributor
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Tommie was on the 71 braves team also....

I glanced at the list of reserves and didn't see another Aaron but that makes a lot of sense.

Featured Contributor
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
    Really liked viewing your ongoing collection of team line-ups. Especially like the '57 Orioles as Richards was such a great baseball guy. I have absolutely zero line-ups and wonder why I have never sought these in the past. Makes for a great display and collectible.

Thanks so much for sharing.
    Every Orioles guy I speak to seems to have loved Richards. I had a couple of others signed by him that were not PC and someone grabbed them almost immediately when I offered them for sale. (At least one is now up on eBay from the buyer I believe).

What was it about Richards that made him such a favorite?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast