Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cards that shouldn't be tough to find ... yet are

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a simple reason why so many '90s numbered cards are difficult to find now.

eBay didn't exist until the late '90s, and even then people weren't listing every numbered common card they pulled from packs like they often do now.

So cards like a '97 Canseco #/200 were either put into a box, binder, or a dealer tried to sell it at his card shop or a show.
    If they didn't sell, they got put away in a box, where most probably remain today because as smapdi wrote above, they're not worth the effort to sell anymore.

Nowadays, people put numbered cards on eBay or Sportlots or whatever immediately after busting packs, so even /50 cards are easy to find. And there are tons of websites to buy sell and trade that weren't available in the '90s.
    Last edited by Austin; 01-15-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

deliciousbacon666
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word on the 2002 Donruss Fan Club credits...a few years ago, I was in a shop that had some packs for sale, and I grabbed a few. All the cards in every pack ended up being stuck together and severely damaged, so I was given a refund and the dealer actually threw the remaining packs in the trash. Unopened. If there was a Credits in one of those packs, it is gone forever. Wouldn't be shocked if more of this dumpy retail product ended up in the trash.
    I'm DelBacon on Sportlots, tons of great cards!

1K+ Club - Top Player Collections (as of 10/13/17): 1. Glaus: 2093 - 2. Rolen: 1653 - 3. Thome: 1599 - 4. Helton: 1504 - 5. Garciaparra: 1437 - 6. L. Walker: 1287 - 7. D. Ortiz: 1265 - 8. R. Palmeiro: 1223 - 9. Biggio: 1054 - 10. Edmonds: 1038 - 11. A. Beltre: 1003

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also heard a lot of retail outlets dumped a bunch too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousBacon View Post
    A word on the 2002 Donruss Fan Club credits...a few years ago, I was in a shop that had some packs for sale, and I grabbed a few. All the cards in every pack ended up being stuck together and severely damaged, so I was given a refund and the dealer actually threw the remaining packs in the trash. Unopened. If there was a Credits in one of those packs, it is gone forever. Wouldn't be shocked if more of this dumpy retail product ended up in the trash.

rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    1997 Flair Legacy are tough.....I am missing one of mine.

Mentioned
    554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too many Dawson's to list
    Want to buy anything Andre Dawson - Twitter @The8Hawk8
    159,911 Total Cards, 4,181 Different Cards, 1,098 Autographs, 355 1/1s, 174 RCs, 373 Graded, 187 Packs, 6 Buttons, 1,282 Mem Cards, 2,666 SN Cards
    28 Cameos, 206 Mentions, 337 Checklists
    Also collecting Drew Brees with my son

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1996 Leaf Signature Platinum Press Proof / 150 - I have this but had to overpay for it.
    1997 Ultra Platinum Medallion / 200 - I regret missing out one of these on ebay lately. Didn't think it would sell as high as it did.
    1997 Showcase Legacy / 100
    1997 Score Team Collection Platinum - WTF?
    1998 Donruss Production Line - I agree with previous post. There's supposed to be 390 copies of the Alomar out there, so where are they?
    1999 and 2000 Topps MVP Promotion cards / 100
    2002 Donruss Fan Club Credits - Also agree with previous posts, really tough to find. Interesting stories above about these, explains a lot.
    2000 Pacific Prism - Supposed to be hundreds of each pattern produced, but I'm still missing woodgrain, tinsel, texture, sheen, and pebbly dots! WTF?
    2002 Fleer Maximum Power (Retail version not GU) - right now there are about 45 of the GU versions on ebay, and only 6 of the non-GU versions

Last but not least:
    Too many Pacific colored parallels to count, including many numbered well over 100, and a handful of un-numbered ones. Especially retail-only. I feel like I could live a thousand years and still never find them all.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar cards. Got rare ones? PM me and let's make a deal!
    Some key cards still on the wantlist:
    1992 Star Promo - 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promo
    1995 Score Rules Jumbo - 1996 Aficionado First Pitch Preview
    1996 Select Mirror Blue & Gold - 1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion
    1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold - 1997 Topps Stars All-Stars
    1997 Score Platinum and Premier Club Teams - 1998 Bowman's Best Atomic

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to refer to a long time running thread on this one- have never seen a Lance Niekro yet Beckett still prices it somehow. Lots of different theories talked about in the thread about why some players can be found and some can't.

2006 Upper Deck Special FX Blue

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...ad.php?t=40183

Thanks,
    Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    Good examples. Agree on the '96 Platinum Press Proof. Have never seen a Cirillo. Add 1999 Aurora Red retail parallel and 2002 UD MVP Silver /100

Took me forever to find the 2002 UD MVP Silver. I didn't think it existed after ten years of looking, but found it in 2014. Had the gold #/25 long before it.

The Aurora Red (and other Pacific Reds) are tough as they were only in 7Eleven packs.

Leaf Platinum Press Proof didn't seem that hard.

The one still giving me a problem is the 2005 Zenith Z-Gold (retail only)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cards that shouldn't be tough to find ... yet are

Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    Took me forever to find the 2002 UD MVP Silver. I didn't think it existed after ten years of looking, but found it in 2014. Had the gold #/25 long before it.

The Aurora Red (and other Pacific Reds) are tough as they were only in 7Eleven packs.

Leaf Platinum Press Proof didn't seem that hard.

The one still giving me a problem is the 2005 Zenith Z-Gold (retail only)
    For some reason this made go back and check. I apparently did find the silver last year myself, must not have ever crossed it off! Don't have a gold yet though

Also, still have never found a '99 Gold Label Class 3 Black

Last edited by Brewer Andy; 01-17-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One bugger that was super tuff for me, Stadium Club one of a kind /150

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    1998 Donruss Production Line On Base Percentage / 381 Ken Griffey Jr.

Have never seen one for sale. Would like to finish my little three cars Production Line Griffey Rainbow.

capconman10
     AndyLugar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Larkin 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	67595

1998 UD3 Gold Die-Cut

I have been looking for the Barry Larkin gold version /100 for a very long time. Hard to imagine how hard these are to find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Larkin 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	67596

1998 Topps TEK #57 Barry Larkin

Obviously, a VERY large set with over 90 variations of each player. I started looking for them in 2012 and they are near impossible to find. Yet I love the designs and variations.
    A Barry Larkin "Supercollector"

Checklist and Needs Lists

Blog

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another tuffy it seems................
    Walter Iooss Collection Jumbos

This 27-card set spotlights the work of famous sports photographer Walter Iooss Jr. by presenting 26 of the game's current greats (one-per-team) in a candid photo set. The cards were inserted in Series One retail foil and Hobby jumbo packs.
    A 3 1/2" X 5" jumbo version was also produced, exclusively to retail re-packs, which contained one pack of each 1993 Upper Deck series. The jumbos cards are each serial-numbered to 10,000 copies

Last edited by magicpapa; 02-17-2017 at 04:41 AM.

sierrajunior7
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some Greg Maddux cards that I am still looking for (and can't really believe why)...

1. 2005 Donruss Zenith Spellbound (Jersey) #'d/150 for S1 and S4 (The two 'G's in 'GREG'). There is an abundance of the R's and E's that pop up, but for some reason the G's (300 total cards floating around) have been extremely elusive to find - and I am constantly checking for them.

2. Atlanta Journal Constitution Braves Photo cards (8.5x11). Finding Maddux cards in almost any year is difficult even though they were produced in quantities between 5,000 and 15,000 cards. I'm guessing many were tossed over the years as junk and most are sitting in Georgia area homes being thought of as junk that are too worthless to put up on eBay (if anyone does have any Maddux cards from '96, '97, '98, '01, '02, and/or '04 let me know and I'll pay a premium for them).

3. Lykes Braves Standard 1993 and 1995. Another regional issue that was probably produced in excess of 10k, but is probably decomposing in landfills or stashed away as not worth putting up on eBay. (again, if anyone has any Maddux cards of these two years LMK and I'll gladly pay a premium for them).

marinersfanfromny
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2000 Bowman Chrome Retro/Future Refractor of Oswalt. Granted I've snagged five, but I've only managed to buy one since around 2009.
    I haven't seen a single copy since then anywhere. The odds of pulling them were pretty low, but it's hard to estimate how individual copies are available.
    Many estimate around 50-100. You would think there would be more available of arguably the best rookie in the set.
    http://royoswalt44.com/ - Over 1,500 different cards listed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast