Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A quick photo of the day......The Friendly Confines on a cold Saturday night in January

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I have not posted much lately as sports cards seem to be taking more of a backseat in my life right now as I tackle other projects and issues. My hope is to return soon and get back to collecting but only time will tell.

Last Saturday night I found myself on the north side of Chicago and had an opportunity to swing by the old ball park in hopes of allowing those who were with me to get a picture under the marquee. A quick drive around Wrigley showed that the entire ball park was enclosed by cyclone construction fence which made marquee pictures nearly impossible. I did drive by the right field gate and noticed the lights were on and construction was in full swing and a crane was sitting n the exact place home plate should be and much of the seating directly behind home plate was removed so that an underground, members only cafe could be built. I had been sent an invite to this cafe (as I assume all those on the season ticket waiting list had been as well) but for the cost and the lack of any type of field view in this cafe, well I just passed on it.

Of course, being in the vehicle with a bunch of women someone had to go to the washroom and the only place available was the Taco Bell across from the ball park. As I waited for the group to come back from their run to the border I looked and saw the lights I had seen a million times but this time they looked different. The starkness of the pitch black Chicago night and the haze in the air made for what I thought was a great photo.

With thirty days until the start of Spring training and less than 100 until opening day, it will not be long until these lights are on for a real game and not just for the construction workers on a cold January night.

Thank you for indulging me with this impromptu photo of the day.

15873147_10212020197850468_7067275106981781974_n (1).jpg

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I understand why they're making the upgrades to Wrigley but I wish they'd just leave it alone. When you walk in to that place, you feel nothing but nostalgic.
Thanks for the pic.

Fordman

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
I understand why they're making the upgrades to Wrigley but I wish they'd just leave it alone. When you walk in to that place, you feel nothing but nostalgic.
Thanks for the pic.

Fordman

I am also a fan of keeping things the same, but I will commend the Cubs for upgrading the stadium to prevent concrete from falling on my head, removing trough style "urinals", and still keeping the overall vintage feel to the park.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
do you think they upgraded the lights (different support fixtures and better lighting) or do you think it was just you seeing the same lights from a different vantage point?

I hope they upgrade the lighting at wrigley. It looks so dark on TV but obviously there is enough light that MLB doesn't consider it a player safety risk.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
do you think they upgraded the lights (different support fixtures and better lighting) or do you think it was just you seeing the same lights from a different vantage point?

I hope they upgrade the lighting at wrigley. It looks so dark on TV but obviously there is enough light that MLB doesn't consider it a player safety risk.

It does look dark on television but the light is actually quite bright in person, especially down on the field. I have no doubt that Wrigley is safe for ball playing. It is surprising how much the lights light up the night.

There is no new light towers but rather as you said, a different vantage point for me with the extremely dark night sky and the hazyness in the air that lended itself to a great picture in my opinion. I will say when all of the construction is done in and around the park it will certainly be more of a tourist destination than it already is. The neighborhood used to be a dump but now it is transforming into a huge area for entertainment and urban living.

Members online

Latest posts