Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1951 Topps Teams Pickup with background info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
First post in a long time for me, but it's a big one!

Finally was able to add to my collection a tough, rare, and mostly unknown key card to my Doerr collection. Everyone knows about 1951 Topps Red & Blue Backs along with the Connie Mack All stars, but did you know about another set from Topps in 1951?

1951 Topps Teams Boston Red Sox "Dated" PSA 1
bb5bea2f92abc8965983bf427bddc988.jpg

ad6c9db08b1fbdcb823b17f4284ae7fc.jpg

This is a great issue in which PSA 7s go for $5000+. It also has a controversial and intriguing back story.

The team cards were a regional test issue from Topps in 1951 and only included 9 teams: Red Sox, Brooklyn, White Sox, Reds, NY Giants, Senators, Phillies, Philadelphia As, & Cardinals.

They were packed out with caramel candy in the fashion below:

95ceb5ba58f1a4ba54f8a6a7343d70da.jpg

At some point in production, Topps pulled the cards and then reissued them with the 1950 date stamp. Thus the Non-dated vs Dated designation. The official story for Sy Berger back in the day was the caramel candy reacted with the cards and made kids sick. No stories of this happening have ever actually been discovered, so this is commonly assumed to be a PR white lie. There actual reason for pulling then dating the cards was Bowman sued Topps for putting out the Candy with the cards, which Bowman had the rights to in 1951. Thus Topps tried to "back date" the cards to 1950, a tactic that did not work. Thus Topps would go a different route with their 1952 Topps set by inserting bubble gum instead of Candy...and the rest is history.

The Non-dated versions are the rarer of the two types because of the Topps Coverup. The cards are condition sensitive because of the caramel candy packaged with them, which along with regional distribution leads to the high $$$$ on top PSA grades. Happy to have the dated version for now thought, as it is a important and largely forgotten part of trading card history.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That's awesome. I knew about the set in general, but didn't know about the caramel and back-dating and all that. And that someone actually had a sealed pack with the caramel inside. Fascinating.

I did know that these are the only Topps cards with Ted Williams and Stan Musial until 1954 and 1958, respectively, though.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Dang Jeff, awesome PC addition :D Cool back story on the set. :thumbsup:

I only found out about the set recently because I've been back on eBay and one showed up in my Doerr search....didn't realize how expensive they were! I'll have to pick one up eventually, along with a T200 Fatima team card (which is also very pricey). Does this card complete the Doerr vintage registry, Jeff?

Hope all is going well!
-Scott

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
GREAT addition.......fortunately for me that there was no Yankee team.....or it would cost me a TON!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Simply outstanding. Just another one of the countless times the history of the piece makes it a bazillion times more intriguing.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Those are pretty cool. I didn't know Bowman sued Topps over candy, like Topps sued Fleer over candy in the late 50's and early 60's.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Does this card complete the Doerr vintage registry, Jeff?

Hope all is going well!
-Scott

Same to you as well Scotty! Can't complain lol!

In terms of vintage Doerr, this gets me closer.
Only need a few of the following

*Few Team Issue photos from the 1940s & 1950s-extremely difficult to ID the years on these
*1981 Boston Globe-never seen one for sale-have seen one in a pc
*1990 Pacific Glossy
*1971 House of Jazz
*1941 Playball Paper

I add those and I'll have the complete run of Pre-2000 Doerr.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board