Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help authenticating auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eppd3707

Jan 4, 2016
Could anyone help me out with this Old Hoss Radbourn signature? I bought it at an auction a couple years ago. It came with a COA from Autograph Certification Experts (ACE) which is a company started by Justin Priddy who left ***. Has anyone used this company before or know anything more about them?

20160714_213927.jpg20160714_213934.jpg

A_Pharis

I, personally, don't touch ACE... but it could be fine on a case-by-case basis.

That said. It SEEMS okay, but I'd be a little put off by the fact that it was cut out of the full check, since there's likely other things on the full check that could help authenticate it.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I will be blunt:

Charles Radbourn is one of the toughest autographs out there, and ACE is one of the worst authenticators. They are rightfully banned from eBay, and I have seen countless fakes authenticated by them. Unfortunately, I think this is one of them.

If you believe it's real and want to sell it, you would really need to get either JSA or PSA/DNA to authenticate it, which (without looking) I'm going to guess would cost you $200+. And I think you'll kiss that goodbye because I think they'll say it's no good. I've been wrong before and could be wrong here, but I collect HOF autographs and am not interested in that Radbourne because of the ACE cert that is with it.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
If you haven't already ask on Net54 which has many more people focused on this kind of thing.

Personally I'd leave out of the info if the COA so as not to bias the perspectives, though for your own knowledge remember that this is not a company with a great reputation, and the value of a rare autograph like that is much much higher with authentication for a reliable source (which should make you skeptical).

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

eppd3707

Jan 4, 2016
Thanks everyone for their input. I guess I screwed up by saying it came with the ACE cert, because I was looking to see if I should get an opinion from PSA on this. I submitted this with JSA at a show a while back. They actually told me they wanted more time to review the piece as some of their people believed it could be authentic. However, it ultimately failed. I guess it will go back into my collection and I'll just keep thinking that there is a chance it's real.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Thanks everyone for their input. I guess I screwed up by saying it came with the ACE cert, because I was looking to see if I should get an opinion from PSA on this. I submitted this with JSA at a show a while back. They actually told me they wanted more time to review the piece as some of their people believed it could be authentic. However, it ultimately failed. I guess it will go back into my collection and I'll just keep thinking that there is a chance it's real.

Sorry, but it sounds very fake

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I'd love for it to be real but I think there are less than 20 known Old Hoss Radbourne signatures in the world. I wouldn't touch one without full letters from PSA, JSA, and Ron Keurajian. Even then there's a good chance it was stolen from a public institution.

His autographs are so rare they make Christy Mathewson auto's look as common as Bob Feller.

Scott F

Members online