Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps un retires #7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The flagship Topps baseball set is one that’s rooted in tradition. Even as hallmarks evolve, any bit of change in the set is met with scrutiny because it changes that tradition.

With that, 2017 Topps Baseball is changing course on something that has been in place for two decades. To honor Mickey Mantle following his passing, #7 on the base set checklist (Mantle’s jersey number) has belonged to the Yankees legend — or nobody — since 1996.

Although Topps doesn’t have a deal in place with Mantle’s estate, the card maker has unretired the number. Gary Sanchez becomes the first player other than Mantle to be #7 since 1995 Topps Baseball.

In 1996, Topps honored Mantle with a memorial card and*announced #7 was retired. It was similar to how a team retires a jersey number. Between 1997 and 2005, the flagship Topps set left #7 off the checklist. It was only the main release that this applied to, not*inserts or other brands.

From 2006 to 2012, #7 came back but it was reserved for the Hall of Famer. Topps had reached an agreement with Mantle’s family for their products. Mantle was included in the set using the current design.

However, that deal ran out in 2013 and there haven’t been any Topps Mantle cards since.

With the return of #7 , it means no more empty spots in nine-pocket pages or in boxes with sets. While the move was originally made out of respect to one of the most important figures in the hobby’s history, it also created some confusion, particularly in more recent years. Newer collectors may not have known about the missing spot or the reason why.

But now it’s back, albeit with a different face.

We have reached out to Topps as to why the decision*was made to bring #7 out of retirement but have yet to hear back. We’ll update this story if we do hear from them.

What do you think of Topps bringing back #7 ? Let us know in the comments below or tag us on Twitter.

DTA

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
I don't have a problem with it personally. Mantle was 'the' post WWII icon and retiring his card was a great gesture. However, I think in the future if Topps wants to honor another player in that way again they should just retire their number the following year and then put it back into circulation right away after that. The fact that Mantle had his card number retired/reserved for him for 20 years is a pretty great tribute IMO anyways. Either way I'm ok with it.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I remember thinking when I heard there wouldn't be a number 7 in the set the first year after his passing "that's nice to do for a year". Never thought it would go that long.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I already have Sanchez as a HOFer so seems legit

Collecting: Phil Bickford, Brandon Wood (still), Yankees and Rockies

Maybe retire number 17 for Kris Bryant

Collecting: Phil Bickford, Brandon Wood (still), Yankees and Rockies

Pump the breaks kid, ain't nobody got time for that....you'd retire Bryant's uni number over Brandon Wood?

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I don't have a problem with it personally. Mantle was 'the' post WWII icon and retiring his card was a great gesture. However, I think in the future if Topps wants to honor another player in that way again they should just retire their number the following year and then put it back into circulation right away after that. The fact that Mantle had his card number retired/reserved for him for 20 years is a pretty great tribute IMO anyways. Either way I'm ok with it.

+1

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
They should still do special players #'s, but as a SP to the regular card. Clemente's #21 and so on.

That would be a great idea for two reasons:

1. No confusion and issues with collating the cards into binders.
2. It would reduce the amount of SP variations within the sets.

I think this idea would really add more meaning to each set and make the variations feel less like a gimmick and more of a tribute. Perhaps when a player HOF player retires, gets inducted, or perhaps passes away.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I thought the idea was stupid to begin with. Removing a number from a sequential set makes little sense. i don't agree with retiring a jersey number either. Eventually you'll run out of numbers if that trend continues well into the future or have to reuse them some day anyway.

The way the story read, it made it sound like a money decision, not a tribute.

Members online

Latest posts