Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

February Pickups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
One of the focuses on my collection are baseballs tied to WWII. They don't turn up all that often, and so I was excited when this baseball turned up on eBay.

It's from a 1944 game between the Air Force and Naval Hospital in Hawaii and includes Hall of Famers Pee Wee Reese, Joe Gordon and Red Ruffing among the 8 autographs.

I'm pretty confident I overpaid, but I'm pleased to have won it.

1944 USAAF vs NAVY 1.jpg1944 USAAF vs NAVY 2.jpg

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Awesome baseball pickup. Those sigs look to have held up great over the last 70 years or so. Congrats.

I got these 2 Jim Thome cards in the last few days:

1998 Topps Tek pattern #4 (Only need 7 more patterns to finish the 90 card set)
2001 Fleer Showcase- Showcase Sticks GU Bat (One of the nicer GU bat cards)

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Matsui patch:

matsui_028_zps8lpp1xcb.jpg

2 more for the HOFers who played for the Pads PC:

winfield_zpsttgw5src.jpg

piazza_zpsulgk6wlh.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I love stuff like this for players who just had brief appearances with a certain club, especially if it is a team you personally collect. However, despite being a very nice card, it just looks wrong! Piazza will always be a Dodger to me, nothing else.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I love stuff like this for players who just had brief appearances with a certain club, especially if it is a team you personally collect. However, despite being a very nice card, it just looks wrong! Piazza will always be a Dodger to me, nothing else.

At least they used a patch from a Padres uniform! Seems like we attract the final years of superstars.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Steve Garvey!

I think a lot of teams do over enough time as well though. I know the Dodgers have collected their fair share of aged former superstars (A. Vaughan, Cuyler, Maglie, Wilhelm, Colavito, Boyer, F. Robinson, B. Powell, G. Carter, E. Murray, R. Henderson, G. Maddux to name a few over the years).

I remember the 80s Mariners always seemed to pick up a few of the fan favorite type players at the ends of their careers when I was younger and still going to games frequently. It was fun to see some "bigger" names, as the M's really had no serious talent for a number of years. Guys like Willie Horton, Bobby Valentine, Jeff Burroughs, Al Cowens, Gaylord Perry, Richie Zisk, Steve Yeager, etc.
At least they used a patch from a Padres uniform! Seems like we attract the final years of superstars.

Odd since he went in as a Met
I'm guessing he probably had Dodger and Met cards from the same set

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Got this awesome looking Jim Thome card in a few days ago. These beautiful cards remind me of the 98 Tek diffactors except their not on acetate.

1996 UD CC Crash the Game Silver #CG13B (July 4-7)

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
A cut auto card with a different kind of photo. Hey, it's Buck's shoe! Nice full auto with nickname signature.

s-l1000.jpg

Comes from a famous photo of O'Neil standing in the Kansas City Monarch's dugout.

1276306676-BUCK_IN_DUGOUT_17563954_std.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
A cut auto card with a different kind of photo. Hey, it's Buck's shoe! Nice full auto with nickname signature.

s-l1000.jpg

Comes from a famous photo of O'Neil standing in the Kansas City Monarch's dugout.

1276306676-BUCK_IN_DUGOUT_17563954_std.jpg

Beautiful card. Sad that Buck's autos are now cuts :( he was a treasure

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online

Latest posts