Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Topps Rediscover Buybacks Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Anyone get any from Bowman yet? It looks like they are inserted Bowman-brand cards with the 70th anniversary foil stamp, again in different colors. I opened a box and got 2 (1:12), a 1997 Coomer and I forget the other. My fiancee got a 2000 Choo Freeman (forgot about that guy) and a 2007 Josh Hamilton, which is pretty good.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Anyone know what Topps plans on doing with Rediscover for Series 2 and Update? I think it would be cool if they used different colors of foil for each series. I would gladly keep forking over money for the exact same Jack Clark cards, but this time with purple, yellow, green, etc foil! It's a sickness, and I'm not ashamed of it.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Anyone know what Topps plans on doing with Rediscover for Series 2 and Update? I think it would be cool if they used different colors of foil for each series. I would gladly keep forking over money for the exact same Jack Clark cards, but this time with purple, yellow, green, etc foil! It's a sickness, and I'm not ashamed of it.

I am assuming it will be happening for series 2 at least.

diwhite

Oct 14, 2012
The list I found says the rediscover buybacks will be in six sets: Topps Series 1, Topps Heritage, Topps Allen & Ginter, Topps Series 2, Topps Update and Bowman. So far only Bowman has been different, it's buybacks of older Bowman cards and stamped differently too.

I hope that Series 2 and Update have more buybacks from the 90's. So far I've found 23 unique Kelly Gruber buybacks, 20 from 1987-1990 and only 3 from 1991-1993.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
23 different Grubers is pretty impressive. I just got my 3rd Thome in today. It was a 2012 Gold. It came in a lot of 16 Rediscover cards. I will be listing about 30 Rediscover cards on the baseball transactions thread in the next few days. Looking to trade with player and team collectors; will also sell.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Just curious of the going rate for these, a buddy has a Frank Thomas on eBay and he's asking $30obo, seems crazy to me but is that what they are going for?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

diwhite

Oct 14, 2012
Just curious of the going rate for these, a buddy has a Frank Thomas on eBay and he's asking $30obo, seems crazy to me but is that what they are going for?

I think I found it on eBay, it looks like a 1993 silver foil. If there's a Frank Thomas player collector out there they might be willing to pay close to the asking price for it, but I haven't paid more than $10 for any of these cards for the player that I collect. Even at $10 it was a red foil card which is a lot more rare than silver. I think the only players whose cards sell for considerably more have multiple player collectors who are bidding each other up.

But like the other guy said it never hurts to try.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I think I found it on eBay, it looks like a 1993 silver foil. If there's a Frank Thomas player collector out there they might be willing to pay close to the asking price for it, but I haven't paid more than $10 for any of these cards for the player that I collect. Even at $10 it was a red foil card which is a lot more rare than silver. I think the only players whose cards sell for considerably more have multiple player collectors who are bidding each other up.

But like the other guy said it never hurts to try.

Seems a little high but his Gold RC went for $35. On avg. looks like his Rediscover cards sell for about $20 overall. Lots of Big Hurt collectors out there to help drive up the price. I got the Thome 93 Silver for $4 and his 93 Gold for $8, but that was right after they came out.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I know things have cooled on these in the past couple weeks but did anyone stumble on any Tim Wakefield?? I only saw one silver from 93 hit the market, if anyone has them id like to get at them

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Yup that's what I'm waiting for. Hopefully fill in a few holes in some rainbows. The damn reds are impossible to find.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Could someone explain why these seem to be (to my uneducated eye) so much more popular than standard buybacks? Thanks!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Anyone put together a "rainbow" of one particular card yet? I'm short the red. (Edit - just saw the Grubers in this thread)

17TOPPSREDISCOVER89BRONZE.jpg
17TOPPSREDISCOVER89SILVER.jpg

17TOPPSREDISCOVER89GOLD.jpg
17TOPPSREDISCOVER89BLUE.jpg

I've only managed (and only seen) one Zimmer red.

17TOPPSREDISCOVER90RED.jpg

Last edited:

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I'm short the 88 topps base Puckett gold for the set. I too only have one red. I haven't seen nearly as many with the release of series 2.