Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Topps Rediscover Buybacks Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Any player collectors adding these? I have a few more incoming but this is the first one I have in so far. I'll add more as the come in. Feel free to post up some pick-ups.
1990 Topps All-Star Gold Buyback
2017 Topps Buyback 1990 All-Star Gold.jpg

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I haven't purchased yet but I've made a couple bids on biggios, I would have preferred something new and inventive rather than a stamp on a card I already own but I guess we get what we get

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
As always, I can put any STEVE GARVEY cards in a good home if anyone is moving any.

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
I'm a big fan of these buybacks, more so than other years. I think it's several factors including foil stamping and not embossing like 2003.

I think it's that the public relations/marketing part of me thinks that the Rediscover Topps campaign is some pretty solid work on their part.

The fact that it appears to primarily be 1986-1990 cards, and that was my prime collecting time as a kid, increases the nostalgia factor for me as well.

Maybe what I like most is I have picked up a couple for my smaller player collections, Billy Beane and Al Newman, guys that I rarely see anything "new" of. Hoping there's a 1992 Topps Scott Stahoviak buyback or several out there somewhere. If anybody has any Beane, Newman, or Stahoviaks, please let me know!

The prices on the Pucketts seem high to me, but the market is, what the market is. I know there were only a handful of Puckett buybacks in 2015 Topps based on what I've seen/read about it. Seems there are, and will be, more Pucketts this year.

Anybody have theories on why Topps has not included Puckett as much in newer releases, relative to other guys from that same era that have been featured? Obviously, he can't sign autographs which is probably part of it.

For whatever reason, I'm a bigger fan of these 10 cent cards turned $25 cards due to a foil stamp, than I am of many of the recent releases. The old stuff still appeals more to me.

With Pucketts, for now all I've picked up is a poorly listed 1989 Topps All-Star Silver (with notch about the N) for what seems to be below market value.

32743746636_94d0fc2bc3_z.jpg

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
[MENTION=12668]MatthewN[/MENTION] I believe Puckett's contract with Topps ran out around the time of his death ad for whatever reason his family never signed a new one. Not sure if Panini signed them to an exculsive deal or if he just got lumped in on their cooperstown deal.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I want to dislike these, but cannot for some reason. I don't know why, but I love having different variations of the same card. Half of me wants to be a hoarder, but the sensible part of me says "NO Tanner! Only one of each!" So the buybacks help satisfy both sides :)

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I've added 1 Mark Grace (1990) and 2 Don Zimmer (1990, 1991) so far.

Who has the low-down on color rarity? I've seen bronze, silver, gold and blue.

Funny that some glitches have showed up. Really rediscovering Topps with these :)

1992-Donruss-Mark-Lemke-Topps-Buyback.jpg

1991-Leaf-Steve-Lake-Rediscover-Topps-Buyback.jpg

Last edited:

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I've added 1 Mark Grace (1990) and 2 Don Zimmer (1990, 1991) so far.

Who has the low-down on color rarity? I've seen bronze, silver, gold and blue.

Funny that some glitches have showed up. Really rediscovering Topps with these :)

1992-Donruss-Mark-Lemke-Topps-Buyback.jpg

1991-Leaf-Steve-Lake-Rediscover-Topps-Buyback.jpg
The colors are bronze, silver, gold, blue and red with bronze being the most common and red being the least.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
So far I've got two in hand:
* '87 Topps - bronze
* '85 Topps - blue

And these are incoming
* '89 Topps - I think it's bronze, but the lighting is a bit dodgy. It could be red, too. Hope so!
* '87 Topps - gold

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
In a jumbo box I got I think 4. A 1990 Darryl Strawberry was the most notable player, but I got like 2 1990s, a 1988, and a 1977 Darold Knowles with a big crease. Can't recall what color foils, but I was immediately overcome by the Knowles card and the feeling I had that he looked exactly like your 7th grade science teacher who you randomly discover plays semi-pro ball when you show up for an "away" game at a different field for Little League and he's there practicing his pickoff move and suddenly you realize that the adults you encounter in one segment of their lives as teachers is an important one, but only a small one, and that they are often entirely different people when they aren't standing in front of a blackboard. And by extension, the adults you see working in stores, or being mean to you for walking in front of their houses too slowly, or just driving down the street, are only showing you one tiny face on the jewel that is themselves, and someday you, too, will be a many-faceted jewel, and you might have some facets polished more brightly than others, and some you want to reserve for your close friends, and one just for yourself.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Going for Brady Andersons. I have a Silver 89 Topps incoming. I'm keeping an eye out for others. If anyone pulls one, or knows someone who did... any help would be appreciated!

Members online