Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Javier Lopez calls it a career

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Nice piece here on Javier.

One of the most quiet 4 time world series champions around.

http://deadspin.com/goodbye-to-javi...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I have been fortunate enough to meet him several times as he is a UVA alum and often came back to Charlottesville for baseball events. He was always a nice, low key guy. Happy to sign a ball and take pictures with my kids.

Of course, I will most remember him for being on a Red Sox WS championship team. But, I hear he did pretty well on the west coast too ;-)

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
loved him on the Braves. lost track after/around baltimore.

Edit**
apparently I thought about the OTHER lopez. though I knew he retired a while ago.

Last edited:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
lmao. I did T even reads the article. that's right, there was a pitcher by the same name. well good, they're both retired so I don't have to worry about it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I didn't realize there was a pitcher with the same name, thought it was the former Braves C who came up in the early-mid 90s and assumed he had retired long ago!

Edit: Just looked him up and now I know why. A run of the mill middle reliever on the Giants (for me) is about as anonymous as you can get.

Last edited:

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Yeah...I guess I should have been more clear...

The other one has been out of the game for a while now. But, clearly has better name recognition. I just find this Javier fascinating...right time, right place, right pitch and 4 WS rings.

Sorry for the confusion!

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Lopez only has 4 RCs and a couple are fairly limited.

2003 Fleer Tradition Update #294
2003 Ultimate Collection #157 /250
2003 Upper Deck 40-Man #760
2003 Upper Deck Finite #350 /299

parallels:
2003 Fleer Tradition Update Glossy #294 /100
2003 Ultimate Collection Gold #157 /25
2003 Upper Deck 40-Man Rainbow #760 /40

In a day and age where it seems like every rookie has a ton of availability across multiple products, this is a nice change. And yes, he started his career as a Colorado Rockie. Not a bad career for a Rule 5 pick.

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
The giants have interviews with him all the time, so intelligent and smooth. He's going to do some color commentary this year with Krukow cutting back his schedule. Very important to the Giants 3 rings

Members online