Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.

I am so happy that Soroka is getting some love, that high up on the list. His control was by far the best out of any pitcher I saw in person last year.

I'm glad BA ranked Quantrill where they did, unlike Keith Law who needs to lay off of the chronic.

I'm still not sold on Espinoza. Yes, what he did at a young age is impressive, but I did a breakdown of him with sabermetrics included and let's just say it wasn't good. He's a long time away for his ranking to reflect what he can be.

Mateo deserves to be where he is. As a Yankees fan, his prospect status took a major hit. There's some upside, but it's all mental with him.

Moncada is also where he should be.

I'm a little surprised by Giolito taking that huge of a hit, but it's good he's still in the top 25.

Overall, it's the most solid list that I've seen.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The show reminds me I need to preorder my 2017 BA Prospect Handbook and that I'll have to watch the show later on my DVR.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Well, I certainly can't complain about the rankings of top Braves prospects, I believe once again they have the most in the top 100 among any other organization (just like mlb.com & Keith Law). I'm glad how highly ranked Albies, Allard & Soroka are, as I think they are all deserving of their respective individual rank. Albies is tied with Benintendi for the highest rated hit tool and Soroka tied with a few others for the best control which is especially nice because both of them are still teenagers.

The biggest surprises to me are seeing Senzel in the top 10 so soon, still finding A.J. Reed's name on the list & Giolito falling so far down. Otherwise, I believe this list to be far more consistent than both of mlb.com & Keith Law. Probably the most accurate I've seen......well, that and Jaypers list of course :wink:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Another list with no Trent Clark.

Also, they gave away only 1 80 score for an offensive tool (Mateo's speed)

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Another list with no Trent Clark.

Also, they gave away only 1 80 score for an offensive tool (Mateo's speed)

You almost never see a prospect rated with an 80 power or hit tool. Since I began following prospects back in 2014 only once have I seen an 80 power tool (on mlb.com) and that was Gallo a year or two ago. I've never seen anything higher than 70 when it comes to the hit tool. They have always been more generous when it comes to rating speed & arm strength. Not sure if I've ever seeing an 80 fielding but then again, I've only been paying attention for a few years.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I'd like to see BA do a Top 100 for both pitchers and non-pitchers, each year. Until they do, I'll have to just break them down myself.

If you break them up, here are the results:

Top BA non-pitching prospects for 2017, in order:

BENINTENDI, A.
MONCADA, Y.
SWANSON, D.
TORRES, G.
MEADOWS, A.
BELLINGER, C.
ROSARIO, A.
SENZEL, N.
ADAMES, W.
ALBIES, O.
CRAWFORD, JP
ROBLES, V.
JIMENEZ, EL.
RODGERS, B.
MONIAK, M.
DEVERS, R.
TUCKER, K.
GUERRERO, V.
MARGOT, M.
BRINSON, L.
MEJIA, F.
LEWIS, K.
BELL, J.
O'NEILL, T.
FRAZIER, C.
BARRETO, F.
ALFARO, J.
RAY, C.
RENFROE, H.
RUTHERFORD, B.
TAVERAS, L.
TAPIA, R.
NEWMAN, K.
COLLINS, Z.
SISCO, C.
VERDUGO, A.
ALFORD, A.
GORDON, N.
ZIMMER, B.
HAPP, I.
ALMORA, A.
KELLY, C.
ACUNA, R.
BAUERS, J.
SMITH, D.
REED, AJ
GURRIEL, L.
GILLASPIE, C.
MAITAN, K.
MATEO, J.
PEREZ, D.
JUDGE, A.
CALHOUN, W.
DIAZ, I.
CHAPMAN, M.
TELLEZ, R.

Top pitching prospects, in BA's order:

REYES, A.
MARTES, F.
ESPINOZA, A.
KELLER, M.
GLASNOW, T.
GIOLITO, L.
ALVAREZ, Y.
DE LEON, J.
HONEYWELL, B.
LOPEZ, R.
KOPECH, M.
HADER, J.
HOFFMAN, J.
ALLARD, K.
GROOME, J.
PINT, R.
SOROKA, M.
WEAVER, L.
PAULINO, D.
FEDDE, E.
MARQUEZ, G.
PEREZ, F.
MANNING, M.
ANDERSON, I.
MCKENZIE, T.
REED, C.
REID-FOLEY, S.
GARRETT, B.
COTTON, J.
KAPRIELIAN, J.
BANDA, A.
BEEDE, T.
SHEFFIELD, J.
QUANTRILL, C.
CEASE, D.
MOREJON, A.
GONSALVES, S.
DUNN, J.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
What happen Rio Ruiz? I thought he was pretty promising, didn't play much in Atlanta last year but I thought he was part of their future

He's still with us, actually had a few at-bats in the majors last season. His status as a top prospect was hurt after a terrible 2015 season in the minors but he improved last year. He won't be on the Opening Day roster but I imagine he'll be called back up at a certain point especially considering our current 3rd baseman isn't very good and Sean Rodriguez likely just had a season ending injury after being in a car accident this offseason.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts