Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do some sellers not want to sell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Let me start by saying that I know sellers are welcome to ask whatever they want for their cards. Months ago I purchased an 07 Bowman Chrome superfractor of Cedric "Doc" Brooks. Not a big name, don't think he was ever a top prospect but a former Modesto Nut so I paid $26 for it. I picked up the rest of the rainbow except the red on COMC for around $7. There's been a red listed for a long time, started at $65, messaged the guy after several auto declines. He said any card /5 is worth at least..... $30. I said I paid less than that for the 1/1. This guy had relisted this card several, several times and isn't coming off of his price. I've even offered other red refractors of much better players, still zero. Obviously it's his right to do whatever he wants with his cards but there's no way he actually wants to sell this right?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's frustrating, and no, they don't want to sell. At least, they might want to sell but only on their ridiculous terms. One of my most wanted cards, which is pretty expensive in a normal market, is listed on ebay for about 10x what it's sold for in the past couple years (by one of those high-end, sit on everything at 10x price forever sellers). Occasionally it's discounted down as low as 75% off, which is still 2.5x market price. What their motivation is, I can't say, because surely the opportunity cost is going to be a lot more than it was worth to tie up that capital for 5-10 years.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I think some of those guys enjoy the attention they get from collectors messaging them.

There are also many many stupid people in the world that can convince themselves of anything.

Scott F

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I think some of those guys enjoy the attention they get from collectors messaging them.

There are also many many stupid people in the world that can convince themselves of anything.

Scott F
I can see that a lot of the time. My case I feel is more of a delusional seller than a show off.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I think it's as simple as some people have a value in their mind and they are too stubborn to admit they are wrong. Occasionally it might be something has sentimental value attached and they only want to sell for the right price but mostly I think we as a whole get so hung up on value in our hobby and some take it to an extreme.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
The worst part is Jeff (90sbaseballcardcollector) is now trolling us by only listing one day auctions. Now it auto renews every frickin morning during my AM search!!

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
In some cases I think it's just laziness, not wanting to spend the effort to price something to sell, even if that selling price is 2-4x what it's "worth" at auction. Take CardGallery on Beckett Marketplace, he has several cards that would sell for $3 at auction, I'd gladly give him $10, but he's pricing at $40 for no good reason.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
A few more this week. Guy has a 06 Bowman chrome gold Brandon Wood auto listed at 18, I check completed and missed an orange that sold for $5, I offer 3.50 he says no way it's worth way more. Another guy list a 16 Bowman Ryan McMahon paper 1/1 and plate for 250. I bought the draft 1/1 for 11.50 last week so I offer 25 for both, declined in minutes saying he's firm at 150. No way he's going to get anywhere near that

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Freedom Card Board mobile app

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
ive been dealing with this issue on comc for months now. i would rather buy a card with my funds than lose 20% cashing out. ive been looking at a lot of big name vintage rookies and seller deanscards has a lot of them in my grade range but he has everything listed at double their normal selling price on ebay.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
I've got this issue with a Sterling Kyle Seager card. I paid 15 bucks for the black auto version, 10 bucks for the purple /10 and this seller originally had the black non auto listed at $50. I contacted him if he'd take a Best Offer. Said absolutely not, it's a "hot card" and bumped the BIN price to $75 and added "a 1 of 1" to the title. Even though it's /25. So it'll sit forever.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
IMO the only way these types of sellers will drop their prices is when they stop receiving views and best offers on the card.

Once I've identified a seller as nuts I don't ever open their auctions or send best offers ever again.....on anything they own.

Especially don't add the card to your watch list.

They justify the ridiculous prices by looking at the number of views and the best offers received and say "This card is in high demand!" and never budge off the price.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
IMO the only way these types of sellers will drop their prices is when they stop receiving views and best offers on the card.

Once I've identified a seller as nuts I don't ever open their auctions or send best offers ever again.....on anything they own.

Especially don't add the card to your watch list.

They justify the ridiculous prices by looking at the number of views and the best offers received and say "This card is in high demand!" and never budge off the price.
I think you're probably right about the watch list. I keep watching cards I wouldn't actually purchase unless they dropped the price 80%

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online