User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T206 Red Sox team set progress thread....UPDATE! 3/25

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile T206 Red Sox team set progress thread....UPDATE! 3/25

Nice to be getting some maildays again.....wallet be damned!

The first two I bought from PWCC's ebay auctions, they had a ton of nice cards for sale with prices to match. Got outbid on a handful but won a couple nice one's for the Red Sox PC:

Couldn't pass this up for $21, don't have many Dom's and the red background really pops!

This was my consolation prize for being the underbidder on the E97 Carrigan. This one is a little different for me considering it's not a Red Sox card per say, but Hick "Forrest" Cady was pretty much a life long Sox player who played for three World Series championship teams. This one goes nicely with my 14' Cracker Jack of him.

The rest of my mail is a new project I'm working on. As many of you know I finally completed my T3 Red Sox team set last month, looks fantastic together. After finishing that, I got an itch to start a new pre-war team set....but wanted to start one I'd actually be able to finish this time. Decided on the T206 team set because it's very do-able with most of the cards being readily available and I already own the most expensive card of the set (T. Speaker). I've always shyed away from buying many T206 mainly because how common they are and the fact that everyone else seems to collect them. Now I kind of wish that I had started this project several years ago as they have gone up a little bit in price since I last bought a couple. Going to try to buy them already graded by PSA, for uniformity purposes.

Nonetheless here are the ones I recently got in the mail:
    (Apologize if the scans are large, PB sometimes takes a while to resize the scans after you edit them....still looking for a better alternative)

Harry Niles

Jake Stahl

Frank "Piano Mover" Smith....Decided to include him in the team set, as he is listed with Boston. This card is a SP since he got traded while these cards were being printed. During the same print run of his Chicago variant, they added "and Boston" and printed those out making it a SP because it's not a full print run of said variant. Sadly he only actually pitched in 5 games with Boston, which sucks because we traded Harry Lord (who had a few solid seasons with Chicago after the trade) and Amby McConnell (had 1 good season with Chi after the trade).

Tubby Spencer....how can you not love that name? Only played 1 season with Boston. This card is in really nice shape!

Eddie Cicotte....starting to have a decent Cicotte PC (M116, E95, T206....now I need his T205 and T207). This card looks very nice for a PSA 2, the MC qualifier doesn't bother me too much.

And here is the set all together:

Looks good together! Eventually I will either crack the Wagner and send to PSA or sell it and buy one already PSA graded. Might keep that one though because I like the Polar Bear back.

Now I need 5 more: Jake Stahl (Glove shows), Frank Arellanes, Heinie Wagner (bat on left shoulder), Bill Carrigan, and Red Kleinow (Boston variant - SP team change). Definitely doable.

That's it for now....thanks for lookin' fellas and comments are appreciated.
    -Scott
    Last edited by scotty216brs; 03-25-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    Boston Red Sox 2013 World Champions! #BostonStrong

-Thanks to JBel4331 for the sig

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pick ups for sure, it's always nice to have mail days like you have been having!

Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful pickups Scotty! Doesn't mater how many times you see a 206 or how many people collect them, they're always pieces of art

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care if it's creased, that Tris Speaker is breathtaking. I chased that card for a couple years before I bailed and opted for the mecca t201. Congrats that's a truly great team set.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    I don't care if it's creased, that Tris Speaker is breathtaking. I chased that card for a couple years before I bailed and opted for the mecca t201. Congrats that's a truly great team set.

I enjoy my vintage 'well loved'. Mr. Speaker really pops against that deep blue background. I don't have a T201 in my collection yet, need to get one someday. Was VERY close to buying one [Speaker/Gardner] shortly after I landed my Speaker T3 but decided to give my wallet a short lived break. Do you have a scan of your T201?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    Beautiful pickups Scotty! Doesn't mater how many times you see a 206 or how many people collect them, they're always pieces of art
    Thanks Andy! And I agree with you there....but I did it right starting the team set now, as several years ago I bought most of my rarer/harder to find cards that I probably wouldn't be able to afford today.

One of my favorite things about T206 is just the sheer number of combinations between players/poses and backs....not to mention the many collectors who collect the oddball types whether it be: miscuts, "ghost" images, printing errors, stamped backs, big borders, etc....very interesting set with a flavor for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by RStadlerASU22 View Post
    Nice pick ups for sure, it's always nice to have mail days like you have been having!

Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    Thanks Ryan! I'm no sure how I went so long without having maildays quite honestly Down the road I'd eventually like to make a display cabinet for some of my cards. Until then, I'll keep buying stuff to fill it with

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that you are doing a team set!!! Great cards, too!
    DANNY
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:1956 Rizzuto pin & some 1961 & 62 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must have been fun to go through!
    Collecting Hank Greenberg
    Greenberg Collection

My blog!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a heads up guys, not sure if everyone received it but eBay has a 10% eBay bucks promotion going on through Thursday on 1 item no min. limit. Like I needed more incentive to spend even more money. Look for another mailday in a handful of days

Quote Originally Posted by dano7 View Post
    Love that you are doing a team set!!! Great cards, too!
    DANNY
    Thanks Danny....team sets are definitely fun. You're putting together a few yourself, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Zan View Post
    That must have been fun to go through!
    No doubt!

rebelpawn
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love seeing the new project Scotty, and I'm glad you a staying away from chrome stuff!
    I need to get back to my T206 set myself, I am about half done (don't have a Speaker yet) but maybe one of these days....
    Keep us up to date on your progress ok?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelpawn View Post
    Love seeing the new project Scotty, and I'm glad you a staying away from chrome stuff!
    I need to get back to my T206 set myself, I am about half done (don't have a Speaker yet) but maybe one of these days....
    Keep us up to date on your progress ok?
    Half done you say? Get your butt moving to 100%! I'll race ya...

UPDATE 3/3

Got a couple in the mail yesterday...

(Bought this one with the eBay flash sale, $10 off $50 or more - it was $50 BIN free shipping, perfect )

And here is them all together:

10/13

Still need: Bill Carrigan, Heinie Wagner (bat on left shoulder), & Red Kleinow (Boston)

Thanks for looking!
    -Scott

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an awesome group!! I'll post a pic up later that I think you'll like...
    I prefer the Stahl with the glove to the one without. I bought the T205 Stahl for my collection. I've been himming and hawing for far to long now on which Harry Lord I'm going to buy, hard to beat that 206.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an awesome group!! I'll post a pic up later that I think you'll like...
    I prefer the Stahl with the glove to the one without. I bought the T205 Stahl for my collection. I've been himming and hawing for far to long now on which Harry Lord I'm going to buy, hard to beat that 206.
    I'm partial to his M116

I have to laugh, I'm at the opposite stance with you on the Stahl T206, I prefer the no glove Stahl, because the focal point is the BOSTON in big bold letters on his uniform. Great choice on the T205 Stahl, I hadn't owned any of these prior to this year, now I have 2....very cool set, love the stats on the back w/ the bio. Don't see that too often on tobacco cards.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen this card dozens of time when I flip through eBay listings and something just struck me, in that picture he looks like an old timey Jim Parsons, Sheldon from Big Bang Theory

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170303_202424873.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	68143

I own two T206 cards, it's crazy to me they are two of the three you listed as needs when you have 10 of the team set.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen this card dozens of time when I flip through eBay listings and something just struck me, in that picture he looks like an old timey Jim Parsons, Sheldon from Big Bang Theory
    I can see it, if only I were good with Photoshop! Though I did make a Matthew Rhys T206 recently:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170303_202424873.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	68143

I own two T206 cards, it's crazy to me they are two of the three you listed as needs when you have 10 of the team set.
    What are the odds of that?! Thanks for sharing man, very nice cards. (And apparently you have the 2 most difficult cards out of the way so let's make a 3 way race between you, Rebelpawn, and I for the first to 100% team set )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast