Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002 Bowman "non-gold" variations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i've mentioned these a time or two over the years (including in the recently resurrected thread concerning 1995 donruss press proof errors/variations) , but so far no one else has ever replied to my inquiries so figured i'd start a new thread just for kicks....

2002 bowman came 24 packs per box with either an autograph , relic , or gold card in each pack....the gold cards were significantly thicker than the base cards and featured a gold foil facsimile signature on the card front where the base cards featured a simple black facsimile autograph.....

i opened approximately one case of the product in all , primarily in 2002 and early 2003....later i picked up 1 or 2 boxes online in 2012 or 2013....in 1 or 2 boxes opened years ago from the local shop and one of the more recent boxes , every VETERAN gold card was the correct thickness , but with the black facsimile auto instead of the gold foil ....

the oddities about this variation abound :
it (apparently) affected ONLY the red-bordered veteran cards....
it is NOT a simple case of cards missing the foil entirely because the bowman logo , player name , position , and team name ARE gold foil...
if a box contained at least one of these variations , then ALL the "gold" veterans in the box featured this variation...

no clue how many of these variations exist but since i've never seen more than one of any player and have heard anyone mention them even when i've asked about them , i tend to believe they are not extremely plentiful....

i think i have one or two more small stacks (maybe as many as two dozen more cards) hiding out among all my mess , but for now i was able to locate the following singles :

9 brian giles
16 joe mays
20 jorge posada
31 adrian beltre
32 andruw jones
45 jeff bagwell
56 wade miller
62 kevin brown
75 todd helton
87 juan pierre
91 magglio ordonez
96 scott rolen

if anyone has any more of these , i would love to see a list assembled and even moreso would love to pick up any i don't already have....

Members online