Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Worst Modern Set for Autographs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I was browsing through some listings, and something just jmped out at me after seeing some of the same turds listed for years at a time. We all know that Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft, and Topps Chrome usually have some nice autos, but there are always some stinkers in there of course. For every Mike Trout, you will have a Matt Bashore, but there is usually at least SOME mix of players who panned out, played in the Major Leagues, and stand out from the sea of broken dreams and Tommy John surgery.

I'm talking licensed sets only, some sort of license at least. Even with sets like Leaf, Just and Rize, you will still have the odd Clayton Kershaw / Yasiel Puig / Mike Stanton thrown in. Some players who definitely generated excitement, at least at one point. Even for garbage sets like 2008 Bowman Chrome, there were SOME hot cards in the set at some point. I can't think of a worse example than 2011 Topps Heritage Minors. The auto checklist is pretty good sized, and off the top of my head, the hits are Bryce Harper (very limited number of autos), followed by Joc Pedersen and Steven Souza Jr.

I'm pretty sure the posted checklist is nowhere close to what was actually packed out. Going by live cards on COMC, this is the group:

Avisail Garcia
Blake Perry
Blake Tekotte
Brad Brach
Brad Chalk
Brett Bochy
Brian Pointer
Bryce Harper
Chris Gloor
Cody Stanley
Cole White
Dakota Watts
Dan Burkhart
Dan Otero
David Kopp
Davis Stoneburner
Deunte Heath
Dickie Joe Thon
Evan Crawford (pitcher)
Evan Crawford (batsman)
Francisco Martinez
Joc Pederson
Joe Wieland
Jonathan Musser
Jordan Henry
Jordan Swagerty
Justin Dalles
Justin Marks
Luke Jackson
Robbie Aviles
Robbie Shields
Ryan Berry
Scott Shuman
Sean Black
Stefan Welch
Steven Souza
Tim Fedorowicz
Tommy Shirley
Tony Thompson

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
For every Mike Trout, you will have a Matt Bashore

There is a buyer for every card. Just depends on if the seller is reasonable or not whether the sale is ever made.

5825323_orig.jpg

I haven't scanned the superfractor yet, but have that too.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I never really understood why Topps Chrome autographs don't command more money than other issues. It has a lot going for it: on-card autos which is big for a lot of people, rc logo; chrome; color. I understand Bowman Chrome being what it is with the first year designation, just seems like you can get a nice tier player in Topps Chrome for cheap where their auto in another product is more expensive.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Some more obscure players can be a sweet find for team or player collectors. I know that I am happy to find cheap certified autographs of players who appeared as a Dodger at some point in their career. First priority is a Dodger card itself, but will accept anything if there are few or no Dodger autographs that exist.

From that list, I recognize Pedersen, Fedorowicz and Wieland as cards I would want. Then if any of those other players ever eventually find their way to the Dodgers, it's cool to find older certified autos to grab as well.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Heritage Minors sets are always cluttered with low-tier prospects and 30 year old backups, whoever Topps can get to sign for less than a few bucks. A lot of people pulled Gorman Erickson as their hit a few years ago and probably just threw the whole box away.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is funny that you mention him. i just bought (within the last month) the 1964 Topps version of his auto in the /50 (black) and /10 (red) copies to go along with the base auto I already had. He never played for the Dodgers, but it was a MiLB affiliate, so I wanted to grab them for cheap. Are there any other versions that those three that I should consider chasing?

Heritage Minors sets are always cluttered with low-tier prospects and 30 year old backups, whoever Topps can get to sign for less than a few bucks. A lot of people pulled Gorman Erickson as their hit a few years ago and probably just threw the whole box away.

Members online