Thread: A very important pickup for my Hank Greenberg collection

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very important pickup for my Hank Greenberg collection

This story began in 2014 after a friend of mine wrote this article about my collection as he followed me to a January White Plains show. After the story was published I received a lot of nice comments and attention from it from collectors and friends.

Among the notoriety I received was an email from a man living in Michigan writing on behalf of his wife, whose father had recently passed. While going through his belongings they came across a postcard of Hank Greenberg that was signed to her father. It was a treasured piece of this man's collection.

I had several rounds of negotiations with the man regarding the postcard. However, I was strapped for cash at the time, and conversation fizzled out.

Fast forward to 2017; on a long train ride home from work I thought again about this postcard and wondered if they still had it. Luckily I was able to find the conversation in my emails and reached back out to the gentleman who I was speaking with 3 years ago and asked him if they still had the postcard.

To my surprise, they did.

We picked up where we left off, agreed on a price and the deal was done! Funny part was that neither of them had a PayPal account, so I sent a check in the mail, the old fashioned way, which I found funny.

The postcard arrived in the mail the other day, I opened it live on my YouTube channel. Please watch the video to see what else they included in the package for me. It was quite memorable.

Thanks for the read guys!
    Collecting Hank Greenberg
    Greenberg Collection

My blog!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got done watching the vid, Brian. Awesome postcard (really like the photo they used of him) and story behind it! Cool that the daughter was willing to part with it because she knew it would go to a good home. Very cool personal item with a story behind it to boot....love your passion for your collection, & very envious of your Greenberg PC.

Your pal,
    -Scott (Not Hank Greenberg )

PS - Gonna bid on his first basemens glove? That would look nice in your collection...
    Boston Red Sox 2013 World Champions! #BostonStrong

-Thanks to JBel4331 for the sig

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty216brs View Post
    Just got done watching the vid, Brian. Awesome postcard (really like the photo they used of him) and story behind it! Cool that the daughter was willing to part with it because she knew it would go to a good home. Very cool personal item with a story behind it to boot....love your passion for your collection, & very envious of your Greenberg PC.

Your pal,
    -Scott (Not Hank Greenberg )

PS - Gonna bid on his first basemens glove? That would look nice in your collection...
    Thanks Scott, and that glove is amazing!! I've seen (and held) a game used hat, seen several bats but this is the first glove I've seen. Pretty unbelievable.

Thank you for the kind words, and I like the salutation
    Greenberg Collection

My blog!

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    that's awesome! congrats
    **looking for Sweet spot, game ball and sweet sigs autos off my needs list.**

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic. Congratulations. It moved from one good home to another.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." Abraham Lincoln

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats simply amazing

those are good people too

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a super background story.It does make it more special, great stuff.

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the kind words fellas. It might be hard to top this pickup this year (but I'll try nonetheless)
    Greenberg Collection

My blog!

JEBJJA29
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing. See how fate works? It was STILL waiting for you after all that time. Another funny thing is guess what my first ever cut auto was? Yep...Mr. Hank Greenberg Legendary Cuts! I will show you sometime this week...Congrats!

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JEBJJA View Post
    Amazing. See how fate works? It was STILL waiting for you after all that time. Another funny thing is guess what my first ever cut auto was? Yep...Mr. Hank Greenberg Legendary Cuts! I will show you sometime this week...Congrats!
    Thanks man, can't wait to see it!!
    Greenberg Collection

My blog!

dodgergeo
     dodgergeo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, I love your appreciation for your collection and for Mr. Greenberg - an appreciation that is obvious and sincere. Really glad you could reconnect with the Mack family and land a couple of treasures.

Also, maybe you've talked about your age before and I either missed it or forgot (probably the latter), so I also wanted to say that it's great seeing a younger collector with such a love and appreciation of vintage cards. There are fewer and fewer of your peers with a similar passion.

Anyway, that's it. Congrats on your pickups and thanks for sharing your video.

Geordie

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNP777 View Post
    Brian, I love your appreciation for your collection and for Mr. Greenberg - an appreciation that is obvious and sincere. Really glad you could reconnect with the Mack family and land a couple of treasures.

Also, maybe you've talked about your age before and I either missed it or forgot (probably the latter), so I also wanted to say that it's great seeing a younger collector with such a love and appreciation of vintage cards. There are fewer and fewer of your peers with a similar passion.

Anyway, that's it. Congrats on your pickups and thanks for sharing your video.

Geordie
    Geordie, thank you so much for the kind words and the advice you've given over the years. In my opinion, it will be vintage cards that will remain the most important aspect of our hobby. They are important to the history and the future.

I hope more young collectors realize this too, and I'm sure some will come to figure it out soon enough.

I love sharing my additions with the community, it has always been so supportive and respectful of my focus and to see the appreciation for it is very humbling.
    Greenberg Collection

My blog!

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the address section of the postcard..

You have to remember that back then they had fewer people and since it had the Street Address, it could be delivered..

Great job on your addition..

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet as I always love the oddball pickups. Also great back story and I'm glad it was a deal that was able to be completed regardless of how long it took.

Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is righteous. This post is particularly cool, since guys like you who collect old time players don't get as many mail days as most of us with modern PC's. I really like reading about vintage pickups.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar cards. Got rare ones? PM me and let's make a deal!
    Some key cards still on the wantlist:
    1992 Star Promo - 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promo
    1995 Score Rules Jumbo - 1996 Aficionado First Pitch Preview
    1996 Select Mirror Blue & Gold - 1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion
    1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold - 1997 Topps Stars All-Stars
    1997 Score Platinum and Premier Club Teams - 1998 Bowman's Best Atomic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast