Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Non 1/1 cards you would pay more for than 1/1s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
they are 3 of the 5 toughest inserts of the 90's.. visually the Crusade is #1 to me with the other two 2nd and 3rd respectively. I've seen at least 7 copies of the Crusade though so its the most common to market of the 3 by a long shot.

What are the other 2 and do you like the mirror or certified better?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
This is my number 1
Drooool. Wish Jose had one!
One I don't think I've seen mentioned.

New%20Doc%2013.jpg
Ohhhhh yeah! Completely forgot about that. I love those. I was fortunate to find someone who just pulled one from a pack a few years back.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
What are the other 2 and do you like the mirror or certified better?

The other 2 are the Starting 9 and the Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary refractor with honorable mention to the z axis but none of these 3 cards really has the eye appeal of the 3 pictured.

I like the Select mirror better since its just a simple uncluttered photo and let the gold make it pop the certified is a bit more cluttered up but I do like the photo on it better than the mirror since its A's uniform.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
The other 2 are the Starting 9 and the Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary refractor with honorable mention to the z axis but none of these 3 cards really has the eye appeal of the 3 pictured.

I like the Select mirror better since its just a simple uncluttered photo and let the gold make it pop the certified is a bit more cluttered up but I do like the photo on it better than the mirror since its A's uniform.

For me, the 96 and 97 are a coin flip as to what I find most desirable. What it will come down to most likely is that takes me the longest to land, I think. I *LOVE* my Crusade Red, but find it less desirable probably just because I've "conquered" it. If the 96 is in my possession first, I'll probably find the 97 more desirable and vice versa.

Another interesting note - I have a 10 card run of the 1998 bowman/chrome cards. This includes a mask proof and an archives signature series /5. Getting the /5 refractor would be absolutely huge in adding to my run, and though it is significantly rarer, AND from the 90's, I still find all 3 of these more desirable for some reason. Again ... if/when I have them all, my tune may change :)

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Personally, I'm not much of a 1/1 fan, but I'd take any of these over a 1/1 any day: ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1488730574.500053.jpg

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I'd pay 1/1 Puckett prices for these two Puckett cards:

1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
1990 Donruss Blue Puckett / white Steve Sax test

Honorable mention if the card actually exists would be his 1996 Select Certified Interleague Preview Sample

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
There are some like the 96 mirror gold and whatnot. But, I wouldn't pay more for those because I wish to do so but because if you want them, there is no other choice. A 1/1 is still a 1/1. I'd rather have a 1/1 or a collection of them. The only reason you'll have to pay more for the crusades or the mirror golds is because of other people. Like another poster said, it has more to do with other player collectors and set buyers and hoarders driving the price.

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
I would pay more for the examples above (1996 Mirror Gold etc) that Sandberg had versus any modern post 2000 1:1.

That said, if the 1998 Ultra Masterpiece 1:1 were to become available, I would likely pay more for that than a 1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Onthespotdetailing

Nov 1, 2015
I would pay more for the examples above (1996 Mirror Gold etc) that Sandberg had versus any modern post 2000 1:1.

That said, if the 1998 Ultra Masterpiece 1:1 were to become available, I would likely pay more for that than a 1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold for example.

I agree with that. Any of the 90s 1/1 are significantly more valuable. That was before they went crazy

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
IMO, I think that cards numbered to 10 or 25 are more collectible because they create more of a comradery when up for auction. When you have a low numbered card you feel like you belong in a special club with a few members. With 1/1 cards, only one person can have that card and that seems like a lonely club.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
IMO, I think that cards numbered to 10 or 25 are more collectible because they create more of a comradery when up for auction. When you have a low numbered card you feel like you belong in a special club with a few members. With 1/1 cards, only one person can have that card and that seems like a lonely club.

I don't think you can get better than a 1/1 of a specific card with a run of various parallels, HOWEVER, I completely see what you are saying and have held the same belief about the /5 cards. There is definitely something with the /5's that makes you think you are a part of some exclusive club. I don't get that too terribly much with the /10 and /25 cards, but the /5s kind of do it for me. The /5's give off some sort of a synergistic vibe among the 5 who have them, whereas the 1/1 generally breeds jealousy from everyone who isn't you that wants it, and to me, that just isn't fun. Having the 1/1 helps me get over the ick feeling though :)

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.

Since the bankruptcy replacement versions hit the market and other fakes I think these cards have really lost their appeal versus the other cards mentioned on here.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT

That is a really good point and I completely agree, and not just from that player too, just look at the 90s thread, one guy posts his card and everyone with the same card of their guy(s) puts it up, it's really cool. Good point, I hadn't really thought about that before.

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
Fleer Starting 9
Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractors
SPx Grand Finale

Those immediately come to mind as sets that have yet to be mentioned.

Members online