Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The problem with all the damn reprints!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have a small moral dilemma, but first a small back story…

I noticed some time back that ebay changed the way autographed cards can apparently be listed. They used to be found most often under the "autograph" category. I buy a fair number of signed cards and liked to narrow the search to signed trading cards. Apparently it is not possible to list them that way now. I noticed that they are under baseball cards, but autograph is no longer a category, but a card attribute. Now I could be wrong here too, as I don't often sell anything and have not really studied the seller listing options.

That said, I won a signed card from the Topps Fan Favorites set. The seller is a consignment operation. As I went to pay, I noticed that this card didn't have the Topps certified autographed insignia on it. There was no scan of the back of the card. I checked my copies (this would have been a duplicate) and verified that the pack pulled versions have the Topps autograph insignia on front and a holo sticker on back as well.

Here is where the dilemma come in. I admit to my mistakes and I pay for my wins when I make a mistake, but this time I am not feeling it.

I didn't look close enough at the photo when I set up my snipe and didn't notice that it was not a pack pulled card, a kind of similar mistake I have made before and one I will probably make again. I admit it. I also didn't check to see exactly where the item was listed (categorically). In the end, it was listed under this category: Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop>Sports Trading Cards>Baseball Cards. I do not know how to see if it had autograph as an attribute. I asked the seller to please cancel my win, as I had believed this to be a certified copy of the card and it was not. The price I got it for was not spectacularly cheap, but I would say it was still slightly under what I would expect a certified copy to sell for. It was more than I'd pay for a TTM/IP on a modern retro base set, that is for sure! The seller simply responded that it was pack pulled and nothing more. I replied back that is was not, and provided photographic proof of what a pack pulled copy would look like for this set. The seller didn't reply. Today I see a case was opened up for non-payment.

I will most likely opt to take the non-paying strike before I buy the card, despite how much blame I should shoulder myself in this case, but the kicker is that the seller told me via ebay messaging that the card was pack pulled, therefore I believe that it was listed with that intention to begin with. I believe I would have a case for "not as advertised" if I paid and filed a case against them to get the refund, plus it would be a hassle and I would probably lose money with return shipping.

We'll see if they value my business as a repeat customer and honor my request to cancel the transaction or if they will insist on seeing it through, at which time I will most likely become a "former" customer.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ebay has gotten really irritating for Bagwell stuff now that he is in the hall(or will be shortly). You used to see normal looking base cards and skip right over them knowing you had them by sight and price alone. But with all the rediscover topps and buybacks and stuff, now you really have to look twice, especially since I'm not even sure topps has a checklist. Not to mention the "oh, I have a bunch of really old Bagwell cards I'm gonna list at $10 a piece" types out there. Now you see a common card listed for $10 and it could be a waste of time to even look but using the old logic doesn't work anymore. Not if you want to be sure. Kinda sucks.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I've noticed that when I list cards to sell on ebay, they don't have all the "sub categories" anymore. You used to be able to include team/player/set/era/etc. Now if I have a have a graded card I still get the company to choose from and country of manufacture but that's it. But you can still narrow down your search using those sub categories when searching. I've often wondered if I'm missing something by those not being there as a lister or if they are changing things or what.

Members online