Are group case breaks worth it?

Over just a box break

Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingAcid View Post
    Over just a box break
    It depends on how lucky you are. At least with a box break you definitely get everything, but in a group break, there is more product opened, can get skunked or hit huge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lisu View Post
    It depends on how lucky you are. At least with a box break you definitely get everything, but in a group break, there is more product opened, can get skunked or hit huge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm about as lucky as the average person.

Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then I would say - stick with box breaks. group breaks are hot and cold. there are days you lose your shirt and days you do awesome, but I'd rather enjoy opening the boxes myself.

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I see what you did there.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, depends on your definition of worth it.

If you are looking to guarantee a random hit or two, go with a box break.

If you are looking to go with a hit you really want, go with eBay.

If you want to collect a team (all cards, SP's, inserts, occasional hits, etc.) then case breaks are great - when you can pick your team.

I am not a fan of random team case breaks unless they are for high end products and you just want to take a lowish cost flyer on getting the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. (AKA a lottery ticket) I enjoy those too, but you need to be ready to kiss you money 100% goodbye on that type of break.

So, like I said in the beginning, it depends on what you are trying to get out of them.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." Abraham Lincoln

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to the regular baseball forum for more views...
    Currently looking for: 2012 Ultra football (1992 style) #31 Rudy and Gold parallel version of 2011 Bowman Platinum Chase Utley #94

Always looking for: 2008 BC Jake Peavy Orange Refractors /25, have 6 so far.

RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2590 View Post
    Moved to the regular baseball forum for more views...
    oh thanks my dude

jrzguyfla
     JohnnyG711
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some breakers do a division case break which helps your odds as you get the cards of players within the whole division but is more expensive than a random team across the case. I have done 1/2 case breaks and have done mediocre I guess.
    AKA - FlaMetsFan
    Collector of Mets, Dolphins & NY Rangers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive done a few case breaks on e-bay and have done very well to nothing at all.
    I collect Ken Griffey Jr, Ryan Howard, Steve Carlton and the rest of the Phillies.
    My Site:
    http://bradswebsite.synthasite.com/

Matthew 21:22
    "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall recieve."

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the product, cost, and what kind of break. I've only done a couple in total. I did one case break for 2010 Bowman Chrome that was by player, drafted roto style. On that one, I was fortunate to hit a blue refractor, but it was a veteran, and I got scooped on the rookies I wanted. So I think I got a little less than my money's worth, but it was fun. Then I did another break for a different set that was straight teams and we could pick our teams. I picked the Yankees and killed it. If it was random teams, I probably would have gotten the Dbacks or something with no good players (at the time) and gotten killed. So you have to weigh a lot of factors. On the whole, though, it should be obvious that case breaks give you much better odds of hitting a case-level rarity card than single boxes.
    Looking for 2014 Topps Heritage Black Refractors and 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs

I collect Frank Thomas and Grady Sizemore

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like random slot breaks by player or team. Buying a specific team or player at a set price ahead of time really takes some of the fun away.
    Tradelist (open trade folder): https://goo.gl/9QaZll

2011 Topps Heritage Red/Blue/Green Tints - 52.8% Complete
    2010 Topps Allen & Ginter NNO - 15.7% Complete | 2010 Topps Allen & Ginter Bazooka Back - 12.8% Complete
    Also looking for 2001 UD Legends New York Ron Darling Gold JSY #d/400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what your focus of your collection is. If it's mainly to collect a specific team, then case breaks are certainly going to give you better odds of hitting something nice from your team that just grabbing a box off a shelf. Of course you also have to go into it understanding you may get shut out too. It's not for everyone as it's a high risk venture. That being said, case breaks over box breaks also guarantee that at least someone is going to get a case hit in products that have them whereas a single box will be more of a crapshoot.
    MCA Grading: No expensive memberships or commitments, no waiting 2 months for your cards, just accurate grading, prompt shipment, and low prices everyday for every collector! Check out our website at www.mcagrading.com to see what our product can do for your sales or your collection! Enjoy even bigger discounts on our services by taking advantage of our EBay Rebates Program - How does $2.25 per card grading fee sound to you??

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    group breaks are best if you want to go for just a specific player or team, or you want a chance (for lower buy-in) to get a more expensive team or player spot on a full random

there will be days in group breaks you hit several of the guy you are after, but days you are shut out also-- which makes you think "I would have been better off buying a box with guaranteed hits!"

so, it's all a gamble in the end

you tell me, would you rather buy a jumbo box of bowman for $140 in hopes of hitting a moniak auto, or buy the moniak player spot in a jumbo case for $125 and get all the moniak cards in the case? it's a trade off, and lisu is right-- you can lose your shirt, or hit, or hit big! I've seen people repeatedly pay $500+ for spots in 5-case jumbo breaks and not hit anything of their player, but I've also seen the opposite, where they hit top color autos and base autos and all the non-auto cards too.

in the end, I think it evens out for the most part, but I prefer group breaks because you are more focused in getting the guys or teams you really want-- i.e. you don't end up with 50 Tim Lynch or Bryse Wilson autographs when all is said and done!
    WTTF/WTB: Looking for Red Sox cards I don't have of players from modern Bowman products. Always open to trade!