Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Today is my Cardboard Birthday!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Today, I turn 28 years old as a baseball card collector. I wrote about this last year when I found my journal from 1990, but thought it would be appropriate to post the pic today:

journal.jpg

See? I've always been wild about cardboard :)

When did you start collecting? Do you remember what it was you got?

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
Last summer was 50 yrs - not sure of the date - but it was a pack of 1966 Topps as a 5 yr old watching my brother play little league. I bought a few packs in 66 & 67, but 68 was the first year I went big. I still have many of those cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
spring 1973. A friend had some cards and being someone who was freaking nuts about baseball, baseball cards were a natural progression. I took a few years off in high school but for the most part I have been collecting since '73.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My first cards were from packs of 1978 Topps. No way to pinpoint an exact date though.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
The first packs I remember opening were the late 80s donruss cards that had puzzle pieces, that's a real vague memory, I remember the general store where I got them though. The packs I would really call my first purchase to collect was 93 Topps, holy cow pulling a gold or even crazier a black gold?! Man that was great, the look of the rookies, the 92 all-star subset. I busted a ton of that, Frank Thomas black gold pull made my year!

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
Fall of 1985 was my first experience purchasing packs and collecting cards. I was 10. 90% Topps, 10% Fleer. I was so enthralled with 1985 Fleer, likely because I only had a few packs and they were so different than the white bordered Topps. Donruss was nowhere to be found.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
My mom or dad bought me a pack or two in 1980 and 1981. I mangled the cards but I still have them. It was 1983 when I bought my own cards for the first time as an 8 year old. The local drugstore had Topps and Fleer. I remember having several hundred Topps cards but I actually collected the entire 1983 Fleer set. Didn't see Fleer again (or Donruss) until 1987.

Scott F

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I'd have to say roughly 1968ish............ back then it was pretty much all about the Gum
millionaire_zps2e18acd3.jpg

Jul 22, 2016
Im on my 34th year of collecting. I count my first year of collecting as the year I got my first Sport Americana Price Guide and the first year I started going to card stores and learning how to take care of my cards. I had plenty of cards before then but I used to rubber band them and put them in my Topps sports locker card storage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I started collecting on my birthday 1982 so the date is easy to remember. Parents got me a 1960 Mantle . Still have it .

Tanner, I still want to know the card you were anxiously awaiting last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I started collecting on my birthday 1982 so the date is easy to remember. Parents got me a 1960 Mantle . Still have it .

Tanner, I still want to know the card you were anxiously awaiting last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, it's purty. Like ... purty purty. I'm going to post about it in the next day or two. I just got it in Saturday, and can't stop staring at it!

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
1988. I was at another 8 year old's birthday party and they gave out '88 Donruss packs as party favors. I didn't know players or anything about cards, but in my pack was Daryl Strawberry and everyone else was jealous. From that moment, I was hooked. I'm still trying to find a signed Strawberry '88 Donruss for nostalgia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Happy Cardboard Birthday Tanner! Awesome thread. Last summer marked my 50th year. Not sure of the exact date but I was 8 years old and opened a few packs of 1966 Topps. They were just simple, awesome looking cards. And the best part was that it was easy to read the stats on the back. My favorite card was #151 Gary Wagner of the Phillies. I was amazed that a big league player had the same first name as I did. That's how I became a lifelong Phillies fan from Tenn. I have replaced several of those 1966 cards because of tears, creases, and mold. And I'm still collecting card #151 .

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Happy Cardboard Birthday Tanner! Awesome thread. Last summer marked my 50th year. Not sure of the exact date but I was 8 years old and opened a few packs of 1966 Topps. They were just simple, awesome looking cards. And the best part was that it was easy to read the stats on the back. My favorite card was [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=151]#151 [/URL] Gary Wagner of the Phillies. I was amazed that a big league player had the same first name as I did. That's how I became a lifelong Phillies fan from Tenn. I have replaced several of those 1966 cards because of tears, creases, and mold. And I'm still collecting card [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=151]#151 [/URL] .

Thanks! How many of #151 do you have?

Members online