Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Making your High End Cards SPARKLE - Animated Gif Tutorial

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
In my last article, I had a bunch of people asking "How did you do that?" If you are one of those people, then this is for you.

Why do this?
Sharing our collection with others on the web has become as big a part of collecting as the actual collecting. The last thing we want is to show off our favorite cards, and have them look lackluster.

Scanning, pictures, etc. can all yield different results. I always spend a good amount of time figuring out how to get the perfect light (ESPECIALLY when it comes to refractive cards).

Take for instance this:

1999 Fleer Brilliants 24k Gold card #/24 - this is one of my favorite cards! Mega rare, and absolutely...well...brilliant. Why would I show it off looking like this?

20170315_005755.jpg

Scans don't do it justice ...

Untitled-7.jpg

This gives the eye a lot more to look at and appreciate:

videotogif_2017.03.15_13.08.46.gif

It DOES take a little bit of setup, but not much.

All you need is:

- A stand for your card (I recommend taking off the front of the holder to avoid glare)
- A light (bendy neck is preferable)
- A shoebox top to put on the back as a backdrop
- Another stand for your camera for it to stay still - I use a card stand for my phone as well.

Take a short little video of it with the card and camera in place while you move the light source around. It may take a few tries to get the desired result ...

videotogif_2017.03.15_01.21.26.gif

I have found that doing it to music helps a lot ...

videotogif_2017.03.15_11.45.46.gif

The end result (which could be better if I spent more time with it, for sure).

Here is one of another card ... without music.

videotogif_2017.03.14_16.08.50.gif

When you are done, download the app called gif maker. It is mega simple to use. You just select your video, crop, drag the timeframe, and you are done!

If you all do some, please post 'em up. I'd love to see how it works for you. My suggestion would be to have the video no more than 3-4 seconds long.

And that, my friends, is how YOU become ... THE REFRACTOR.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Sweet, if I ever, and who knows if I will, scan anything I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks T.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
mouschi - was your wife aware that this how you dance, prior to marrying you? You're a nut!

Warmest Regards,
Ron

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Thank you everyone! I look forward to seeing what you all do.

mouschi - was your wife aware that this how you dance, prior to marrying you? You're a nut!

Warmest Regards,
Ron

LOL - I'm not sure. From time to time I've been known to cheer her up by my sweet dance moves :)

Hey Tanner one piece of advice for ya.....

Just keep being you, man. :D Holy hell that was great, made my day. Good stuff as always! ::thumbsup::

lol will do!

too far gone for regular help - needs padded room

#truth

What a great pick me up after a mentally draining day at work.....

I love hearing this - thanks for sharing!

OriginalEGG

Feb 6, 2017
Amazing post and like someone else said...a perfect thing to read at the end of the work day. Definitely will be finding some time to do this to some of my favorites and will post in the Griffey thread.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
[MENTION=17614]OriginalEGG[/MENTION] - great to hear and I look forward to seeing the Griffeys!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Honest question....can you post GIFs on eBay?

I just did a test yesterday, and while you cannot post in the listing section, ebay does allow for you to post the animated gifs in the description ... for now, at least.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I believe they were trying to move away from any "moving" things on there, but not sure it's 100% in effect.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Members online

No members online now.