Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Thread: Do people actually read before bidding?

sierrajunior7
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do people actually read before bidding?

I know prices for the 1990 Frank Thomas NNOF error have seen a big gains lately, but I can't say why people would pay for a reprint/counterfeit unless they just didn't read the listing. I remember hearing back in the mid 90's stories about some NNOF counterfeits that were circulating - does anyone know if there is a demand for that sort of thing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Topps-F...sAAOSwxEpYxeAE
    Last edited by sierra79; 03-16-2017 at 11:27 PM.

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People don't read and/or just don't do their homework. The only black ink missing on this counterfeit is Frank Thomas's name, which is a dead giveaway. The winning bidder deserves to lose money on this.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of several reasons why I am losing interest in cards at a faster pace than ever before. It seems that in the 70s and 80s, there were only a small handful of commonly reprints back in the day, only done on monumental cards as those done for TCMA or those early Bert Sugar books, for example. later many sets were done, such as the bowman sets, but they were all clearly marked as such and for fun and not meant to deceive people. Now it seems that just about any vintage card ever made that has any significant value has been reprinted and many of them artificially aged to look authentic. Some sellers of this type of thing are up front and advertise them as reprints, but once it leaves their hand, anything can happen and ultimately it could end up being sold as the real thing by an unsuspecting or uninformed seller. A lot of other sellers either play the "it may be a reprint" game, buyer beware or knowingly sell them as real. I have not held any of these in my hand to know how good (or bad) they may be, but this crap is tiresome.

rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George_Calfas View Post
    Couldn't agree more...

Sent from my XT1650 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually want this counterfeit, but would never pay half the current price to obtain it. Historically, these get bid up, charged back, and relisted several times before finding a home. I'd love to have a copy to investigate first-hand and write about for my website.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe there is something in the water in Texas, because like @BunchOBull I want a counterfeit for my collection, too: of a Canseco Rated Rookie. As a matter of fact, I think/hope I just landed one! I shall name is the Jose CanFAKEo rookie
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the buyer is an unscrupulous charlatan (upping the site usage of this word by one ) who intends to immediately relist and not mention the fact that it is a fake and claim ignorance after the fact?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    Maybe there is something in the water in Texas, because like @BunchOBull I want a counterfeit for my collection, too: of a Canseco Rated Rookie. As a matter of fact, I think/hope I just landed one! I shall name is the Jose CanFAKEo rookie
    I want one too. I've got a bid on it but won't go too much higher. Don't these usually sell for much higher when they (rarely) show up?
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They sell for higher, but then get charged back, the most I've ever seen one legitimately go for and stay sold was around $100.

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this sweet counterfeit; completely photoshop-made, the blackless streak isn't in exactly the right place. These are printed atop blank front 1990 Topps cards and ever so slightly trimmed down to hide the bleed on the edges. Hardest fake to spot in the market.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img098a.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	534.4 KB 
ID:	68555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img099a.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	68556

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunchOBull View Post
    They sell for higher, but then get charged back, the most I've ever seen one legitimately go for and stay sold was around $100.
    Interesting. Thanks for the info! I'm not sure if there is/will be a way to differentiate them but I'm hoping this is one of the original reprints.
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

sierrajunior7
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    I want one too. I've got a bid on it but won't go too much higher. Don't these usually sell for much higher when they (rarely) show up?
    Wow! I never new contemporary counterfeits could garner so much money. I think the idea of a counterfeit rookie is cool but I don't think I could fork over that much cash. Then again, I used to heavily collect coins and some of the 19th century counterfeits can go for a lot of money. The NNOF card was always one of my holy grails as a kid. I can remember looking through my Beckett when I was a kid and thinking that was so cool. But it wouldn't be until I got back into the hobby and started buying off eBay that I would actually see one in color for the first time. A couple of years back I picked up a BGS 3.

I guess I'm just shocked by how much the Thomas NNOF has gone up and how much a counterfeit can fetch.

Also, I remember hearing stories of early counterfeits being made by simply painting (or re-inking?) over text the blue box. For those that did not know about the missing portions of black lines, I'm guessing this would have been easy to pass on without closer inspection since the box is just solid blue without printing dots.