Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do people actually read before bidding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Last edited:

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
People don't read and/or just don't do their homework. The only black ink missing on this counterfeit is Frank Thomas's name, which is a dead giveaway. The winning bidder deserves to lose money on this.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is one of several reasons why I am losing interest in cards at a faster pace than ever before. It seems that in the 70s and 80s, there were only a small handful of commonly reprints back in the day, only done on monumental cards as those done for TCMA or those early Bert Sugar books, for example. later many sets were done, such as the bowman sets, but they were all clearly marked as such and for fun and not meant to deceive people. Now it seems that just about any vintage card ever made that has any significant value has been reprinted and many of them artificially aged to look authentic. Some sellers of this type of thing are up front and advertise them as reprints, but once it leaves their hand, anything can happen and ultimately it could end up being sold as the real thing by an unsuspecting or uninformed seller. A lot of other sellers either play the "it may be a reprint" game, buyer beware or knowingly sell them as real. I have not held any of these in my hand to know how good (or bad) they may be, but this crap is tiresome.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I actually want this counterfeit, but would never pay half the current price to obtain it. Historically, these get bid up, charged back, and relisted several times before finding a home. I'd love to have a copy to investigate first-hand and write about for my website.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Maybe there is something in the water in Texas, because like [MENTION=2840]BunchOBull[/MENTION] I want a counterfeit for my collection, too: of a Canseco Rated Rookie. As a matter of fact, I think/hope I just landed one! I shall name is the Jose CanFAKEo rookie :D

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Maybe the buyer is an unscrupulous charlatan (upping the site usage of this word by one ;)) who intends to immediately relist and not mention the fact that it is a fake and claim ignorance after the fact?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Jan 14, 2009
Maybe there is something in the water in Texas, because like [MENTION=2840]BunchOBull[/MENTION] I want a counterfeit for my collection, too: of a Canseco Rated Rookie. As a matter of fact, I think/hope I just landed one! I shall name is the Jose CanFAKEo rookie :D

I want one too. I've got a bid on it but won't go too much higher. Don't these usually sell for much higher when they (rarely) show up?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I have this sweet counterfeit; completely photoshop-made, the blackless streak isn't in exactly the right place. These are printed atop blank front 1990 Topps cards and ever so slightly trimmed down to hide the bleed on the edges. Hardest fake to spot in the market.

img098a.jpgimg099a.jpg

Jan 14, 2009
They sell for higher, but then get charged back, the most I've ever seen one legitimately go for and stay sold was around $100.

Interesting. Thanks for the info! I'm not sure if there is/will be a way to differentiate them but I'm hoping this is one of the original reprints.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
I want one too. I've got a bid on it but won't go too much higher. Don't these usually sell for much higher when they (rarely) show up?

Wow! I never new contemporary counterfeits could garner so much money. I think the idea of a counterfeit rookie is cool but I don't think I could fork over that much cash. Then again, I used to heavily collect coins and some of the 19th century counterfeits can go for a lot of money. The NNOF card was always one of my holy grails as a kid. I can remember looking through my Beckett when I was a kid and thinking that was so cool. But it wouldn't be until I got back into the hobby and started buying off eBay that I would actually see one in color for the first time. A couple of years back I picked up a BGS 3.

I guess I'm just shocked by how much the Thomas NNOF has gone up and how much a counterfeit can fetch.

Also, I remember hearing stories of early counterfeits being made by simply painting (or re-inking?) over text the blue box. For those that did not know about the missing portions of black lines, I'm guessing this would have been easy to pass on without closer inspection since the box is just solid blue without printing dots.

Members online