Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Show politics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
For the first time, I'm going to be on the other side of the table. It's at a tiny local show next month, like 10 tables. I've read old threads about basic setup info, but I was wondering if anyone who has worked a show has any good info on what to expect. And more particularly, how to deal with other dealers.

The promoter is a guy I've known for a long time and I just decided kind of on a whim to sign up for a table. I've been wanting to thin out my insert monster boxes and bulk/semistar boxes for years. But one interesting thing I've heard was to be careful of "financial politics." That is, at shows where it's mainly weekend warrior/collectors-supporting-their-habit kind of shows, which this one is, don't bring high-dollar cards. Selling one $250 card to a person is bad form, better to have low-dollar cards so buyers will spread dollars around to all tables. I sort of understand that, but on the other hand, it's a free country, and I don't imagine I'll be doing this all the time, if ever again, so my bridges don't really care if they're built or burnt. I only have one 6-foot table to work with, but I'm planning to bring a few monster boxes of stuff broken out in .25/.50/1/2+ cards. Then I'd have a small display with higher-dollar cards to draw eyeballs. I don't think $250 cards would move, but you never know. Maybe keep some really nice stuff available behind the table.

Also, what about buying? I'd only buy what I want, not to resell, unless an obvious great card presents itself. It seems like dealers who buy know what they can sell stuff for, but I have long since passed the point of knowing what every card sells for. I've not looked at a Beckett in years, and don't want to waste the $10 or whatever it is. I feel like looking up prices on my phone and then offering half what it sells for is cheesey. On the other hand, that's what being a dealer is, buying for less than market price, and the seller doesn't need to know I'm the end-user for it.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I used to attend almost monthly a small show (not as a dealer though) for a few years and cheap bargain boxes were always popular.

I also noticed very few prospect loaded tables.

Also very few high end cards.

DTA

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Coming from someone who's been to many shows and bought but never set up a table, I'd say sell whatever you want to sell and don't worry about what other people think/are selling at theirs. You're paying your own money to for a table so you can make a little money and have some fun. I personally think having a variety of expensive cards and dime boxes is a good idea. Some people will come with certain high dollar cards in mind and others will want to spread their money over multiple sets, so having a variety will hopefully help you "hit" more buyers.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
If you have high-dollar stuff that people will want, and they spend that money, then that means they weren't really keen on "spreading it around" to everyone else.

I set up maybe once a year, and every time I do, I have a guy ask me if I have any new Yount stuff. Presumably he means "any". This next round, I might think about tossing some of my Yount stuff out to see what he's interested in.

But you'll make your money on low-end, all day. Unless a moving dealer shows up, and even then, they'll try to get the deal that works best for THEM, not you.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
There will be people bringing some monster stuff to trade and you can trade some high dollar stuff for what they have as well. Rule of thumb is you give 50% value for their stuff on a trade. You get $400 back on giving up $200-$225.

Members online