Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A sad day for Philly Phans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
A little something I wrote for my Facebook earlier today.

Outside of my friends who know and enjoy the game of baseball, it is doubtful that anyone would know the name of Dallas Green. As a recent high school graduate who joined the Cubs security team (and later worked in the front office) in 1981, Dallas not only signed my checks but scared the crap out of me. At 6'5 he was a big man with a deep booming voice who seemed to know how to get things done with a look and a well placed word or two. While I never really got to know him well, as time moved on I realized he was not a man to be feared but someone that could laugh easily and cared about even the most peon of employees in the organization. I got to know his daughter Dana as she hung with the same group I ran with during her time in Chicago and found her to be engaging yet driven just like her father. Dallas' wife Sylvia always treated everyone she came in contact with like they were part of her own family. I say all of this because I want to get across the fact that, despite the fact that Dallas and his family lived a life where most seemed to know them, these people were genuine, even outside of the white spot light. When their granddaughter was gunned down in Arizona by the same terrorist who gunned down Representative Gabby Gifford in the parking lot of a Tuscon shopping center in 2011, my heart ached for the Greens just as it does now. Rest well Dallas,,,,,,rest well.

MCA Grading

Mar 15, 2017
Midwest
Sad day as there are only so many long-time baseball guys like this anymore so it always hurts to lose them. I remember him more with the Cubs but certainly that great Phillies team with so many stars (Rose, Schmidt, Carlton) as well as characters (McGraw, Luzinski, McBride) to win it all was something special to watch. R.I.P. Dallas.

Members online