Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Trading card release dates? 1986

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Anyone have access to info on when 1986 releases were out? Particularly interested in traded/update sets.

A few of us have been digging on Google and aren't finding anything.

Thanks!

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I would guess around October or November of '86 because they tried to get all players who were traded during the season and September Call Ups (Bo Jackson) who did not have cards.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I wasn't collecting in 1986, I collected up to 1983 then came back in summer 1991. But my recollection is that in 1982 and 1983, all three sets came out pretty close to each other, in either February or March. Pretty sure Topps came out first in 1982, maybe Fleer being the first in 1983. Of course, this is all extremely hazy and based on the retail candy/magazine shop I got my fix at, could've been different for direct accounts, if there were any back then.

I missed the release of 1991 sets, but 1992 sets came out very close to January 1. 1992 Topps was memorable in that case because Brien Taylor had an exclusive contract with Classic that expired 12/31/91, and Topps couldn't sell his card until 1992. I remember hearing of Topps boxes being sold 12/28/91 as "error boxes" because they contained Taylor cards. My point is, while things started sliding back earlier and earlier in the calendar, 1986 sets probably came out around February 1986.

Update/Traded sets came out right after the end of the season in 1981 and 1982, as I recall. We heard about the update set for 1981 I think in card magazines and at card shops, where you had a mail-order address to get one yourself or card shops could order cases of them. There might've been a late-season addition to the card wrappers, but I might be hallucinating that. But I'm pretty sure 1981 Topps Update came out in November 1981.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I looked through several vintage magazines but couldn't find anything regarding 1986.

I did notice ads from both 1983 and 1988 stating early October delivery of that year's traded singles from dealers so probably late September.

Also, if you can find the issue date of Fleer Sluggers vs. Pitchers boxed set from 1986, that could narrow it down too as that set contained the first cards of Clark and Incaviglia and was issued before any traded set.

DTA

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I looked through several vintage magazines but couldn't find anything regarding 1986.

I did notice ads from both 1983 and 1988 stating early October delivery of that year's traded singles from dealers so probably late September.

Also, if you can find the issue date of Fleer Sluggers vs. Pitchers boxed set from 1986, that could narrow it down too as that set contained the first cards of Clark and Incaviglia and was issued before any traded set.

DTA

Thanks! I was hoping to locate a sell sheet or advertisement... something. Still nada.

Members online

Latest posts