Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1920's Bat Pickup of my guy Carl Lundgren, and rest of my Lundy PC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Very happy and excited to add something I've never seen before (and can't find any others) to my Carl Lundgren collection. Carl pitched for the Cubs from 1901-1908 and his hometown is the town next to mine (Marengo, IL). He was also a very successful college baseball coach at the University of Michigan and University of Illinois. I've collected some of his memorabilia, but the selection is pretty limited.

So the bat got listed on eBay last week, as a new to-the-hobby discovery that had been in storage for several decades. The owner didn't know too much about it. I was able to do some research and learn some interesting facts about it.

The maker's mark read "Leavitt Manufacturing Co., Urbana IL" and "GILL." It also had Lundgren's signature woodburned on the barrel. Since I went to the University of Illinois and lived in Urbana for 7 years, the bat had extra intrigue to me. Armed with this information, I found out the Leavitt company came to Urbana on July 1, 1903. It manufactured mostly agricultural equipment until 1911, when it expanded into sporting goods. The company employed University of Illinois track coach Harry Gill to consult on its products, thus the GILL brand on the barrel. Carl coached the U of I baseball team from 1921-1934 (winning five Big 10 titles). So I'm dating the bat to that period, most likely mid 1920's.

This is the only Lundgren signature model bat of any kind I can find. Which makes it a pretty cool addition to the collection. It also looks pretty similar to the bat in the picture I have of Lundgren teaching class at U of I. The bat together with the photo and also an original coursebook of the coaching class Lundgren authored (which includes many photos of the 1921 U of I baseball players), will make an awesome display - one that I hope to someday exhibit at the county historical museum or Marengo Public Library.

lundybat2.jpg

lundybat3.jpg

lundybat4.jpg

lundybat5.jpg

lundybat6.jpg

lundybat7.jpg

Other University of Illinois memorabilia

lundgren1923_b.jpg

lundgren1923_a.jpg

lundgren21COURSEBOOK2tn.jpg

lundgren21UOFIHANDBOOK.jpg

lundgren_HTBAA.jpg

Carl Lundgren Baseball Cards

lundgrenT206CUBS150.jpg
lundgrenT206PIEDMONT350KC.jpg
lundgren02TOPPS206.jpg

lundgren07GRIGNON.jpg

lundgren06FANCRAZEfront.jpg
lundgren06FANCRAZEback.jpg

lundgren06OURHOMETEAM.jpg

06CUBSTEAMPOSTCARD_large.jpg

Historical Marker in Marengo IL

MarengoField1.jpg

Postcard showing "The Flats" field in Marengo IL where Lundgren first played ball

AnsonsColtsPostcardFront.jpg

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Awesome Brad! I'm sure you were stoked to see that hit the Bay.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Holy cow what a pickup! Congrats!

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Awesome find Brad. Let me know if you ever get to exhibit at the library as I would love to come see it.

My wife has family members that played on that field as a child back in the 30's and possibly even farther back and it is intriguing to wonder of any of those relatives crossed paths with Mr. Lundgren.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Very cool.
I noticed you don't have his autograph. Have you ever seen one for sale?

He died unexpectedly and early - he seemed in great health and was coaching baseball and football at U. of I. at the time. He was at a sporting event and luncheoon at a gun club in his hometown, and started having chest pains and not feeling well, and was dead by nightfall. He died in August 1934 of a heart attack at age 54. So his autographs are pretty tough, but he does have some available on contracts he signed for his teams to play other teams as coach at the university. From what I've been told, less than 20 of his autos are on the market, but that seems low to me.

One signed contract is on eBay now for $999.00. I had a chance to buy one for $500 a year ago. I've never seen his auto on a baseball, bat or photo (been watching last 5-6 years). So no auto yet - hoping to get lucky and find one in the $200-$300 range. Pic of contract on eBay:

s-l1200.jpg

Oh, and since I posted info this week on a couple sites, I did hear from another Cubs hardcore collector who had another one of these bats. He had never seen another - but now I know there are at least 2 in existence. Pic of the other collector's bat:

12072790_10205757399478911_3031139580686705670_n.jpg

Last edited:

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
He died unexpectedly and early - he seemed in great health and was coaching baseball and football at U. of I. at the time. He was at a sporting event and luncheoon at a gun club in his hometown, and started having chest pains and not feeling well, and was dead by nightfall. He died in August 1934 of a heart attack at age 54. So his autographs are pretty tough, but he does have some available on contracts he signed for his teams to play other teams as coach at the university. From what I've been told, less than 20 of his autos are on the market, but that seems low to me.

One signed contract is on eBay now for $999.00. I had a chance to buy one for $500 a year ago. I've never seen his auto on a baseball, bat or photo (been watching last 5-6 years). So no auto yet - hoping to get lucky and find one in the $200-$300 range. Pic of contract on eBay:

s-l1200.jpg
The 2nd autograph on that contract, Lynn St. John, is noteworthy to Ohio State University fans as the old basketball arena (St. John Arena) was named after him.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I love finding obscure items of my obscure PC guy, Bake McBride. Like, I got a matchbook from his liquor store. It must be 20x cooler to pick up things for an obscure guy from the T-card era.

Members online