Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yadier Molina signs extension with the Cardinals. 3 years, 60 million.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Seems fair for all he's done for the franchise. I'd like to see him stay a Cardinal for the rest of his career.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Is this insurance for the kid they have coming up or do they not expect Kelly to be ready to go full time or do they just respect Yadi so much they are paying him that well to be a back up for a year or two of this deal? Molina is the best catcher I have seen for a full career so I hope he is the full timer for the life of this deal but with the best catching prospect near ready it seems odd in today's baseball world.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm really not sure what they'll do with Carson Kelly.

If Yadi were to fall of the proverbial cliff a year and a half into this deal, then there are much worse things that could happen than to have Yadi on the bench making 20 million a year mentoring Kelly.

It's been said a million times already, but this is a legacy deal for the franchise. Yadi gets his money, and the Cardinals have that next franchise player who spent his entire career in St. Louis ala Stan Musial and Bob Gibson. Hopefully that translates to Cooperstown as well.

Since 2004, you can argue that this era has been the most successful in franchise history, and Yadi has been there for almost all of it. That's a big deal.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
A lot of time these contracts for what you've done, not what you're gonna do are pretty bad, but Yadi seems to still be able to get it done. 60 mil is still a lot but baseball players make such ridiculous money already.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Freedom Card Board mobile app

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Well deserved, and a smart move by the Cardinals. He can mentor Kelly, not to mention help the whole pitching staff. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a future manager of the Cardinals.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Well deserved, and a smart move by the Cardinals. He can mentor Kelly, not to mention help the whole pitching staff. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a future manager of the Cardinals.

The running joke right now among Cardinals fans is that he may take Mike Matheny's job twice.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
If I were the Cardinals, one thing I would have tried to do with Molina is add a personal services contract that kicks in the moment he retires, like the Angels did with Albert Pujols. That would ensure his involvement with the ballclub in some capacity for years after his playing days are over.

Members online