Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mantle estate signs with panini

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ugh, Mantle cards without the classic NY logo.

I'll never buy cards with blank caps and jerseys, no matter who's on them.

panini-mickey-mantle.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Panini isn't allowed to show any Yankees wearing pinstripes so there won't be any for mantle.

DTA

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
More Mantle cards is never bad, especially if they can get high-end material for National Treasures or whatever. But with the exception of Flawless diamond cards, I've had practically zero interest in Panini baseball stuff. I can't imagine this would get me to buy a box of something, though.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
0_o
You mean with Mantle?
I'm talking about MLB license. Seems it goes through 2020.
Ah, my bad. I knew your question wasn't that easy I am not 100%, but 2020 sounds right. I'll look.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Why can't they show pinstripe specific stuff?

I wonder if the Yankees copyrighted their pinstripes. I can't remember off the top of my head if Leaf had any airbrished Yankees uniforms in their Ruth 80 card set that left pinstripes on the uniforms while airbrushing logos. If Leaf had to airbrush those, the Yankee pinstripes might be in the same realm as logos as far as licensing.

I think the Mantle boys did great with this deal. They are limiting Mantle's likeness and I totally agree about the comment about Topps overexposing Mantle -- too many 52T Mantle reprints, IMHO. I still think Topps way overdoes the reprint of various player vintage cards.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
When I was on a conference call with them a while back, I asked about the lack of pinstripes and they told me that legally they can't show them with their license.

DTA

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
The lack of logos really kills that mantle card. Looks like he's wearing a t-shirt and my old little league hat

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
When I was on a conference call with them a while back, I asked about the lack of pinstripes and they told me that legally they can't show them with their license.

I suppose MLBP won't issue Panini a one-player logo license (Topps has exclusive), Topps probably can't sublet a Yankee logo license to Panini for just Mantle cards (contract might say MLBP license can't be transferred or subleased), so there is only one solution... they have the urge to merge! ;)

imagine if Topps and Panini merged with all the licenses and sports they have.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I suppose MLBP won't issue Panini a one-player logo license (Topps has exclusive), Topps probably can't sublet a Yankee logo license to Panini for just Mantle cards (contract might say MLBP license can't be transferred or subleased), so there is only one solution... they have the urge to merge! ;)

imagine if Topps and Panini merged with all the licenses and sports they have.
They could sublet... But why?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
They could sublet... But why?

money is money? If Panini was desperate enough to have Mantle logo'ed cards and were willing to overpay topps to sublet the MLBP license just for mantle cards, topps might want to do it to help them cover the cost of their MLBP license.

still can't believe Topps could sublet the MLBP license. Think if Topps was to get in financial trouble and sublet MLBP licensing to anyone who had a heartbeat so Topps could meet their financial license obligation. I hope MLBP put no subletting in their contract so they can be assured it's only Topps using the license and there are controls in place as to how many products can be used with that license.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
money is money? If Panini was desperate enough to have Mantle logo'ed cards and were willing to overpay topps to sublet the MLBP license just for mantle cards, topps might want to do it to help them cover the cost of their MLBP license.

Their license cost have long been covered.