Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What single card does almost everyone have in their collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
This is going to be followed up in a bit with a poll. More on that later, but I want to know: What card do YOU think almost everyone in the collecting world has? Please give your answer with supporting reasons.

My vote goes to the 1991 Topps Ken Griffey Jr.
- Height of the junk wax era
- Estimated FOUR MILLION of them exist
- Little to no negative press about him exists
- Everyone loves him
- Superstar w/out steroids
- On a team that virtually no one hates

Do you concur? I would have said Chipper from '91 Topps, and while it is the most pricey card in the set, I still think the Griffey has far more mass appeal, even though it is probably a quarter card :)

What do you think?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
It definitely has to be a Griffey card. Of all the superstars playing during the peak overproduction years, he was THE GUY above all others.

As far as specific cards, I think 89 Donruss is the one. It's a rookie card of the biggest star going, and cheap too. On COMC there are 461 of these for sale (starting at $1.00), more than any other of his issues. The COMC argument certainly isn't conclusive though. There are 4 cards from 87 Topps (Canseco, McGwire, Bonds, Bo) with more copies for sale. But I still think it has to be a Griffey, especially because he's a first ballot HOF'er that everyone still loves.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I think it'd have to be a common card from 87 - 92. If I had to single it down, I'd say 87 Topps or 90 Donruss. Significant rookies/stars have probably been cherry-picked and sold off when they were in their prime. I'd be willing to bet it's some common card stashed away in a common box that nobody even knows they have.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I would say '89 UD Griffey no question about it. 1) It's Griffey 2) There are millions of them 3) It's the first premier card product of it's kind 3) It's affordable raw and in a PSA 10 case but not cheap either 4) It's one of the most iconic cards of all-time

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
The '89 Griffey is the one that everyone should have in their collection (relatively cheap compared to when I was a kid, mass produced, is undoubtedly the 'it' card of modern cards, and it's Griffey), but if I was going to pick the card that would MOST likely to be in the hands of MOST collectors, that makes it a little more tough to narrow down. I would guess Griffey would be towards the top of the food chain on this. As was already mentioned, he came of age at the height of the junk wax era when 'migillions' of cards were being printed so it makes sense that it would be a Griffey. Here's my top 3...

1. 1990 Donruss Griffey Jr. (cheap 2nd year card from a product that I remember buying a ton of)
2. 1990 Donruss Nolan Ryan (I remember living in Texas during this time and Nolan's popularity was off the chart)
3. 1991 Topps Cal Ripken Jr. (The other Junior was pretty popular during this period)

Jul 22, 2016
'82 Cal
'89 Jr.
"93 Topps Jeter
Maybe a Frank or Sosa 90 Leaf?
Leaf was a little obscure in 1990 or was it just me. I was 17 at the time and didn't even really see much of it. I still think of that Leaf set as a non junker. All the cards listed I have had at one time or another but I keep nothing if someone wants to buy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Good question! Initially, I was going to say the Jr. 89 Upper Deck card. But their output wasn't nearly as much as some other sets in the glut era. And I don't even own the card.:eek: So upon further review I'd say it's really close between these 4 cards. I have more cards from 1987 Topps than any other set and it's the set that got me back into collecting, and got my son started in collecting.

1. 1987 Topps McGwire
2. 1987 Topps Canseco
3. 1990 Donruss Griffey Jr.
4. 1989 Donruss Griffey Jr.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
1952 Topps Mickey Mantle .... reprint!

With all the inserts and promotional reprint cards Topps has forced on collectors since 1996, who out there doesn't have a reprint of at least the front side of the 52T mantle in their possession?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have never had most of the cards suggested, although I'd tend to agree with 91T Griffey. Combination of star, commonality, affordability, and eye appeal, who has never thumbed through a quarter box, hit that card and said,"I don't have one, I suppose I should grab it?"

As interesting as it might be to muse on, this seems like one of those things that starts as a joke but goes viral. What if everyone decided to get one particular card, and showed it in one thread? So how about this: Jose's birthday is July 2. How about we make July 2 "86 Donruss Jose Day". Sometime in the next 2 months, get an 86D Canseco and on 7/2 post a picture of your Jose card (or cards, if you have hoarded them). We see how many we can account for. Maybe take pictures of them in various remote and exotic places, like roaming gnomes.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I have never had most of the cards suggested, although I'd tend to agree with 91T Griffey. Combination of star, commonality, affordability, and eye appeal, who has never thumbed through a quarter box, hit that card and said,"I don't have one, I suppose I should grab it?"

As interesting as it might be to muse on, this seems like one of those things that starts as a joke but goes viral. What if everyone decided to get one particular card, and showed it in one thread? So how about this: Jose's birthday is July 2. How about we make July 2 "86 Donruss Jose Day". Sometime in the next 2 months, get an 86D Canseco and on 7/2 post a picture of your Jose card (or cards, if you have hoarded them). We see how many we can account for. Maybe take pictures of them in various remote and exotic places, like roaming gnomes.

Haha I love it!

Members online