Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What single card does almost everyone have in their collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think it might be a safe bet to say either 91 topps Griffey, Frank Thomas, or Nolan Ryan.

Jul 22, 2016
I have never had most of the cards suggested, although I'd tend to agree with 91T Griffey. Combination of star, commonality, affordability, and eye appeal, who has never thumbed through a quarter box, hit that card and said,"I don't have one, I suppose I should grab it?"

As interesting as it might be to muse on, this seems like one of those things that starts as a joke but goes viral. What if everyone decided to get one particular card, and showed it in one thread? So how about this: Jose's birthday is July 2. How about we make July 2 "86 Donruss Jose Day". Sometime in the next 2 months, get an 86D Canseco and on 7/2 post a picture of your Jose card (or cards, if you have hoarded them). We see how many we can account for. Maybe take pictures of them in various remote and exotic places, like roaming gnomes.
This is an idea!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Just to be clear, your talking owns, not has owned?

If we are talking still owns, the 87 Topps Clark and 89 UD Griffey would fit for me. I have some of the junk stuff in factory sets if Clark was pictured on the box but I'm not sitting on singles of many of these type of things.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well Tanner needs to clarify this for me...are we talking active collectors or are we talking people who actually have a "collection" which can also be interpreted as someone having an old collection they no longer add to but have no intention of getting rid of either? Because if it's the latter...then I'd say we are right on with a card between the span of 1989-1992. Everyone says the baseball craze started in and was big in the mid 80's but that is not my recollection. And I feel like things such as 89 upper deck, carrying a premium at the time it was released and after would not be in a lot of "collections", particularly a random collection not touched in close to 30 years. Come to think of it, when I was actively collecting as a kid, nobody, even the older kids, had anything older than 87 and it was minimal at that. Things like the 87 topps Will Clark, 85 topps McGwire, and the 86 donruss Canseco, or the 89 UD Griffey rookie were not known commodities held among kids at school or even anyone I knew. There was only one kid I knew who had things like that and he was a spoiled rich kid whose mom routinely took him to the card shop and purchased things like that for him. He had the best current cards and I know at the time they were worth a small fortune. I remember getting my first Clark rookie in 1992 or so for $4 and I was in hog heaven! That was not a normal thing for me or anyone in my age group to own. And by 1993 or so, nobody I knew even collected baseball cards. Everyone stopped and by around 1995 or so everyone was into basketball.

Now if we are talking about actual current collectors I'd have to say the UD Griffey rookie is probably the most owned card. I have yet to meet any collector who did not like him as a player, even if they did not actively collect him. Given the fact that the card for most of us was unobtainable at the time of our youth due to price(Not sure about you guys but it was like pulling teeth to get my mom to buy that Clark for me at $4 let alone paying $60 or more for the Griffey) and the fact that it's got to be one of the most iconic cards in baseball card history and I'd say that makes it the easiest pick. I have pretty much all the cards we've listed thus far but mostly by chance or random pickups if it's just a base common. The rookies I own too but I went after them specifically and the first one on my list besides the Clark was the Griffey.

Members online

Latest posts