Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If you were to interview authenticator Steve Grad (Pawn Stars, Beckett authenticators)...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
And the follow up:

Will they ever get more specific with the autographs they reject, instead of sending the generic letter with the same 7 reasons?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
He's a massive star wars collector but if he had to sell it all EXCEPT one item, which would it be?

DTA

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
1. He isn't the Pawn owner, he is the guy they call to authenticate.

2. If you're going to interview him, he works for BAS, and previously PSA/DNA, not JSA...

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Jul 22, 2016
What makes you a so called expert? What is required to be an autograph authenticator? What is the level of education of authenticators? Can I be an authenticator?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ryans Rust

Nov 5, 2014
CA
Whose autograph has the most drastic change from early on vs later in life?

Who are a few of the hardest sports autographs to obtain?

Does he see any changes in the amount of forgeries since he started authenticating? more/less/same

Which sports player has the best/worst signature?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I'll phrase it like this Kevin.

What are some factors that might cause an item that the submitter saw signed in person to get rejected?
I'd really like to see you go aggressive with the interview. Call him a liar, remind him the FCB Podcast is the new no spin zone

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've noticed that on team signed items (and items with multiple signatures) there is definitely a point where they are willing to authenticate the piece without knowing every signature. The question I wondered is how this is determined.

Case in point the baseball shown. The autographs from Jackie Robinson, Gil Hodges, Ralph Branca etc. were identified and could be authenticated, but the authenticators could not have gotten "Bebop" correct because they linked it to Harold "Bebop" Gordon when in fact it was signed by Spec Bebop, the ***** League Midget clown who used to perform with the Indianapolis Clowns ***** Baseball team. Obviously at that point they were simply trying to ID who the autograph might be and were not comparing it to any known examples... When do they say that the item is clearly authentic and they will take it on good faith that a specific signature is real?

Attachments

• Jackie 1.png
    Jackie 1.png
    241.4 KB · Views: 15
Jul 22, 2016
Nooooope

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Just be fair and ask the questions you think most people would want to know. I think I posed fair questions in my previous post. You dont want to blindside the guy with nothing but tough questions because he will never ever help you again. Im really surprised he would even do an interview. He doesnt have to because he is going to be employed regardless. Even if there was major evidence of collusion , would anything negative happen to said person and his employer? I doubt it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I've noticed that on team signed items (and items with multiple signatures) there is definitely a point where they are willing to authenticate the piece without knowing every signature. The question I wondered is how this is determined.

Case in point the baseball shown. The autographs from Jackie Robinson, Gil Hodges, Ralph Branca etc. were identified and could be authenticated, but the authenticators could not have gotten "Bebop" correct because they linked it to Harold "Bebop" Gordon when in fact it was signed by Spec Bebop, the ***** League Midget clown who used to perform with the Indianapolis Clowns ***** Baseball team. Obviously at that point they were simply trying to ID who the autograph might be and were not comparing it to any known examples... When do they say that the item is clearly authentic and they will take it on good faith that a specific signature is real?
Sy. Do you want to be on the call?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's scheduled for Monday Morning at 11 am est.

Sounds awesome, but don't think there's any way I could get to it with work unfortunately.

I'll be sure to let you know if I have any questions.

One thing I have wondered is if they've authenticated any Jackie ***** League signed items...

Members online

No members online now.